Well I'm a lifeguard at a pool and I accidentally dropped my phone in the water. It was like slow motion watching my baby drift to the bottom and come to a halt. I was in such shock I laughed and waited about 30 seconds to jump in and get it but the first time I missed came up for air and got it the next time. Pulled the battery and let it sit for about 5 minutes then held it up to those bathroom hand dryers for nearly a half hour then about 2 hours later put in the battery and everything was fine! Score another one for the Curve
    02-25-09 06:36 PM
    you will probably notice your device will quickly die now. You should have at least used a different battery, and let the phone dry for several days. using high heat devices can cause damage to the boards inside the device.
    02-25-09 06:40 PM
    Ahh man that's great! Hope it keeps on going....keep us up!
    02-25-09 06:40 PM
    Okay then.... Good to hear its working, lets just hope the goodness continues....It is very unlikely that it will continue to work properly but lets hope.......
    02-25-09 06:44 PM
    Good for u & ur bb! Hopefully she stays true & runs on!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 07:26 PM
    Lucky lucky lucky. I hope it keeps working for you as well.

02-25-09 07:30 PM
    What CBK said ^^
    02-25-09 07:35 PM
    I would backup all your stufff. Same type of thing happened with my Pearl and it eventually went to a white screen. I really hope for your sake it's fine. Good luck.
    02-25-09 07:39 PM
    Lucky lucky lucky.

Like the others said, back it up now just in case it goes belly up.
    02-25-09 10:40 PM
    See! I knew the Curve was like a Timex.

I am glad it is still working for you. Like the others said, I would back up all your stuff just in case. It might not hurt to take the battery out and place the phone in a ziploc bag of rice atleast overnight tonight either. You can never be too sure...

02-25-09 10:47 PM
    Even though it may "seem" to have survived; I personally would not take chances. Do a back up and then I would take the battery out and put it in a bag of rice and silica packets for a few days to ensure the moisture is out of it.

I don't want to be a nay sayer, however I had something similar happen to a car once. It was flooded in a rain storm, up to the hood. Since it started okay, I figured great and replaced the carpet and seats and kept driving it. Then the transmission started leaking funky stuff. Turns out that by driving it, it forced the water further into the transmission and eventually fried it.

So my friend, I may be paranoid; however I would back it up and pack it in rice and silica packets for a few days to make sure and try and get all the moisture out. Water can seep into places especially electronics that you can't see and cause permanent damage down the road. I know being without it may be painful, however my motto is "better safe than sorry"

~Jazzi~

02-25-09 10:50 PM
    wow that is all I have to say.. LUCKY LUCKY!!! I hope it stay alive
    02-25-09 10:55 PM
    Everything is working fine. Let it dry overnight by my pc case fan. Keeping my fingers crossed
    02-26-09 04:47 PM
    awesome!!! reading your little story, i had this picture going in my head you blowing the whistle, grabbing the floating device, running and diving in bringing to the surface and resuscitating back to life.... lol...

glad it all worked out for ya, back it up and you always have insurance.... <or do you?> :roll eyes:
    02-26-09 05:03 PM
    Please post your lottery # selections here so we can ride that streak while it's hot!

02-26-09 05:12 PM
    you will probably notice your device will quickly die now. You should have at least used a different battery, and let the phone dry for several days. using high heat devices can cause damage to the boards inside the device.
    You're right about the timing being too fast. After battery off I would have washed it out with distilled or deionized water and dried as much as possible by shaking, mopping, blowing then left it to stand (sealed with good drying agent) at least 3 days.

I disagree about the heat risks, apart from the danger of distorting the case plastics. During manufacture the boards are preheated for soldering at temperatures you simply can't achieve with hot air dryers designed for drying humans. It is likely the components on the main PCBs will withstand more than 100C more or less long term, and >200C for several minutes. The exception is the LCD, mainly because of its plastic optical components - that's why its a plugin component.
    02-26-09 05:45 PM
    dont you hate when that happens? i dropped my old curve in a puddle while i was drunk. the thing didnt work so i slammed it against the wall in a drunken, i got no insurance on this thing rage. I awoke dehydrated the next day, put the battery back in, and it started up great. the only problem now was that none of the buttons on the sides worked from slamming it. only cost me 120 for a new one, but i learned to never to just give up on a curve. it tried so hard to survive, only to be forced to blackberry heaven by the hands of an angry drunk.
    02-26-09 05:48 PM
    Please post your lottery # selections here so we can ride that streak while it's hot!

hahaha agreed!
    02-26-09 06:51 PM
    awesome!!! reading your little story, i had this picture going in my head you blowing the whistle, grabbing the floating device, running and diving in bringing to the surface and resuscitating back to life.... lol...
    And now I can't get the baywatch theme-song out of my head...
    02-26-09 11:25 PM
    I honestly can't believe its working so good the reason I waited so long was because I figured there was no point it was done for but the guy I was working with convinced me, guess the training and certifications payed off. Best save of my lifeguarding "career" lol. Notice this was posted from my BB. I'll let u guys know if it decides to die on me.

02-26-09 11:51 PM
    Well I'm a lifeguard at a pool and I accidentally dropped my phone in the water. It was like slow motion watching my baby drift to the bottom and come to a halt.
    If I'd done this the phone would have landed on the hard pool surround, and shattered into about 20 different directions - or spiralled down to the outlet filter where it would have been just the right size and angle of approach to pass the grille and enter the pump
    02-27-09 07:02 AM
    Well I'm a lifeguard at a pool and I accidentally dropped my phone in the water. It was like slow motion watching my baby drift to the bottom and come to a halt. I was in such shock I laughed and waited about 30 seconds to jump in and get it but the first time I missed came up for air and got it the next time. Pulled the battery and let it sit for about 5 minutes then held it up to those bathroom hand dryers for nearly a half hour then about 2 hours later put in the battery and everything was fine! Score another one for the Curve
    Ok, I cant hold it in anymore. When I 1st read this, I thought - WOW! Now the more I read it, the less believable it is. We've had plenty of people who've dropped their phones in toilets (we know how much water that is) and retrieved it faster than it takes to blink.

We've had plenty of people drop their phones in puddles so small that the thought of their BB not working just didnt compute. Yet yours survived a death defying dunk into 7 feet of water- not counting the time you watched it float to the bottom and come to a halt. And let me add that 30 seconds in water is like 30 years to electronic devices.

This is not a score one for the Curve- more like score one for some interesting BS!
    02-27-09 07:17 AM
    You could be right. IMO this is a case for "photo evidence or it never happened" - not that I would dream of accusing a fellow CB member of deliberate lies^H^H^H^H economy with the truth.
    02-27-09 12:13 PM
    Well I am definitely not making the story up, but I cannot produce photographic evidence of the actual event, but I have 2 witnesses one was standing right next to me and watched the whole thing. I have better things to do then make up stories on crackberry. I'm thinking maybe my skin might have had something to do with it but probly not, moreso the 30 minutes I spent burning my hand under that damn dryer. Believe it or not.... just thought I would share my story with the forum. BTW still working fine.
    02-28-09 02:56 AM

Ha ha ha. I so second that.

02-28-09 03:00 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD