I just got my 8330, and love it. But while reading the 5.0 article I couldn't help but be upset that 5.0 might not be coming to the 83xx.

Should I be worried? I don't want to pour money into themes or apps just to have the curve be thrown aside with future upgrades.

Opinions?

I didn't know Verizon was going to get the Niagara or else I might have waited.

I'm bummed :/
    04-28-09 04:06 PM
    If you are within your 30 days you have the option to return the Curve, but you must pay a $35 restocking fee. Make sure they reset your NE2 or upgrade date back to what it was before you purchased the Curve.

You can then buy a used Curve and wait for the 9630 Niagara/Tour to come out.

Or you can stick with the Curve and have a great device. RIM will not stop supporting the Curve as it is one of the most widely used devices RIM has out in the consumer/business market.
    04-28-09 04:12 PM
    If you are within your 30 days you have the option to return the Curve, but you must pay a $35 restocking fee. Make sure they reset your NE2 or upgrade date back to what it was before you purchased the Curve.

You can then buy a used Curve and wait for the 9630 Niagara/Tour to come out.

Or you can stick with the Curve and have a great device. RIM will not stop supporting the Curve as it is one of the most widely used devices RIM has out in the consumer/business market.
    I'm within 30 days, but my parents will not let me return it

But you think I'm just worrying too much? I don't want this phone stop being supported my RIM for a long time.
    04-28-09 04:22 PM
    Just keep it, I've had mine for over a year and its been nothing short of amazing. Had a Storm for 2 months and hated it. Switched back to the reliable old curve and I couldn't be happier!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 04:27 PM
    Haha Brandon, don't worry. This phone will get support, but I read somewhere that OS 4.5 will no longer be improved upon, but 5.0 will eventually come out. This phone will last a while. long enough for you to fully enjoy it. I just got my Curve last November and I don't see myself changing until I can upgrade.

(I might get an iPhone.....)
    04-28-09 04:34 PM
    Haha Brandon, don't worry. This phone will get support, but I read somewhere that OS 4.5 will no longer be improved upon, but 5.0 will eventually come out. This phone will last a while. long enough for you to fully enjoy it. I just got my Curve last November and I don't see myself changing until I can upgrade.

(I might get an iPhone.....)
    haha ok thanks man.

and iPhone? Noooo lol
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-28-09 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Removed reply to unwarranted comment
    04-28-09 04:37 PM
    I just bought mine the first week of March and couldn't be happier. I am watching all the newer toys but they are all on networks that just aren't that reliable around here with the exception of Verizon. I am gonna let all the bugs get worked out of the new stuff first, don't wanna end up with a Storm!

04-28-09 04:39 PM
    I just got my Curve yesterday, so I certainly hope it's good for a loooooong time! I love it so far!

04-28-09 04:46 PM
    The curve is a cool phone. I'm with alltel so this is really my only option
    04-28-09 04:48 PM
    I know what you feel. At times I almost regret getting a Curve instead of a Storm when I had the chance. But then I go to do lots of text input and I love the full QWERTY keyboard. I couldn't have waited for the Niagara. Would have been way too long. I'll just have to get them to upgrade me/win a Niagara sometime.

The Curve is still a great device. Don't worry too much about 5.0. Would be nice to get it. It may come to 83xx's; who knows...

Return if you want to and can. The Niagara will be a great device.

04-28-09 04:49 PM
    So I don't know much about these things...I myself just got the Curve last week. I did some research on the Niagara, but decided to go with the Curve. It was only around $50 for me from Verizon with my upgrade discount.

Wasn't there a lot of hype about the Storm? And now folks don't like it as much as they thought? I seriously have no idea. I got a new LG two years ago, it had just come out (the exact model escapes me...VX something or other). It was so BUGGY I sent it back TWICE. I ended up with a decent model, but was never truly satisfied. I didn't want to pay a restocking fee to switch models (though I wish I had).

I chose the Curve because many have used it and love it. Yeah, it came out in 2007, but it works. That's good enough for me.

Too bad I'm not easier to please in other aspects of my life like I am with my Curve

Then again, this is my first BB. I'm not skilled enough in the world of BBs to be picky yet. Wait two years and I'll be wanting the latest and greatest I'm sure!
    Last edited by LilDaisieWilde; 04-28-09 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo
    04-28-09 05:07 PM
    It was basically all sprint had...or it is the newest did not like the slimmer bb they have.
    04-28-09 05:10 PM
    The Curve using OS 4.5 will be around for while in my opinion. 4.5 is a lot better than 4.3. If 4.3 was the last OS for the Curve, then it would die quickly. With 4.5 you can view native docs from your SDcard. As for 3rd party applications, they will still be around. It will take developers a minute to adjust to the new format. Just like many applications that are available for the Curve are not available for the newer models. Many of them will be out soon, but you must wait. Case in point, Opera Mini is available for the Curve but not for the Storm yet.

04-28-09 05:46 PM
    I could have had either the curve or the storm for basically the same cost. The storm was visually impressive and really pushed by the sales staff. I went with the curve because all the bugs have been worked out. When I want it to work, it does. In short, this is an amazing device.

My carrier is still offering the curve under new contract as are virtually all carriers. No way RIM is going to cut the support to this model. It may not be as flashy as the upcoming Tour or the latest GSM offerings, but don't forget this is the model that delivers exactly what it promises.

04-28-09 05:52 PM
    It's probably good for another two years as carriers are still pushing them. After that the market will be saturated with tons of little iPhone-like clones and then you can get one of those.

04-28-09 05:52 PM
    The Curve will cost next to nothing for someone wanting to jump into the world of BlackBerry. A good way for carriers to entice people into signing up for a BlackBerry data plan. That's where the carriers will make a nice bit of change. Once those customers have gotten their hands on a BlackBerry, they'll never want another dumb phone again. So they'll probably upgrade in the future, while still paying for a data plan. Data plan for life.

04-28-09 05:59 PM
    I just got my 8330m last week and it is by far the best phone I have ever had. Granted, it is my first BB (came over from a Palm) but I never imagined that I would like it so much that I would fall asleep with it in my hand!

04-28-09 06:23 PM
    I just got a curve off of ebay and it had a bad trackball so beware.-t also had 4.3.My pearl's DM was 4.5 so I got a free upgrade on my curve.But other than those minor issues I got a great deal and love my curve!!
    04-28-09 07:24 PM
    hmmm from what I read the 5.0 software will come to the curve, again that is not from me but from what I have read with people who know what is going on in the blackberry world! at least I hope it does as I am with my curve for two years and would hope verizon would bring that goodness to me
    04-28-09 07:51 PM
    hmmm from what I read the 5.0 software will come to the curve, again that is not from me but from what I have read with people who know what is going on in the blackberry world! at least I hope it does as I am with my curve for two years and would hope verizon would bring that goodness to me
    I think we will eventually see OS 5.0 for the Curve but I can almost gurantee it will be well after the Bold, Curve 8900, and the Storm. Not to mention whatever new comes out. OS 4.5 is very stable, they have a few more kinks to iron out with other models before tinkering with something that works and works well!

04-28-09 08:54 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got my curve at the beginning of april. I love it and probably will still love it at the end of my two years. Even if and when the newer models come to verizon.

04-28-09 09:15 PM
    Let's see here....iphone its aight something about a full touch screen only scares me hence why I would never get a storm. G1 would be great once all the kinks are worked out maybe by the time the G2 comes out. I'm sure the new phones will be bad *** but we shall see. All I am saying is....... CURVE for the WIN!!!

04-28-09 10:10 PM
    The 83XX is dead in the water hence the 8900 javelin or 'curve 2'

04-28-09 11:13 PM
    Let's see here....iphone its aight something about a full touch screen only scares me hence why I would never get a storm. G1 would be great once all the kinks are worked out maybe by the time the G2 comes out. I'm sure the new phones will be bad *** but we shall see. All I am saying is....... CURVE for the WIN!!!
    Agreed, touch screen phones just sound dangerous. Got my curve back in Nov and will keep it till it's time to upgrade. My wife just got a pearl and loves it (especially after the update to 4.5 ). Maybe it's just me, but I like not having to worry about my phone locking up 5 times during the day. Something that has had some time in the market to mature usually just works.
    04-29-09 08:11 AM
    It is a very reliable device that has been battle tested time and time again. I agree we will more than likely see 5.0 for it, but it will be a while. Enjoy the device and the addiction...
    04-29-09 08:18 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD