Is the quality of the device good? My concern is that it is CDMA and GSM. Will that make any difference in network speeds? I don't travel so SIM cards don't matter to me. Is it worth getting the Curve 8530 since it is CDMA?
    05-22-10 05:48 PM
    CDMA vs GSM doesn't really make a difference unless you travel out of the country, in my opinion.
    The 8530 is a great 'starter' ( A GOOD, NEW phone for anyone NEW to the Blackberry world) device to the Blackberry world. It's lightweight, compact and the keyboard is great. Wi-Fi is also a big thumbs up, even though I don't use it, its useful to others. If you REALLY want a top notch BB, then the Bold series is best. In the end, they are all just Blackberry produced, same OS (mostly).
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 05-22-10 at 08:14 PM. Reason: People took my term 'Starter' incorrectly.
    05-22-10 05:53 PM
    About the only difference is the 8520 is GSM, and the 8530 is CDMA. Which carrier has the best coverage where you live and work? You should pick your carrier first, and then choose a device you like from that carrier. It will not do any good if you get a top-notch device you cannot use due to lack of coverage.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-22-10 05:59 PM
    Maybe you should stick to your bold forums..the curve is not a starter phone, I find that to be a warrantless accusation..ill take my phone over your bold anyday..with the same features

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 06:48 PM
    Maybe you should stick to your bold forums..the curve is not a starter phone, I find that to be a warrantless accusation..ill take my phone over your bold anyday..with the same features

I never said there is anything wrong with the 8520 or 8530. I merely stated that the only difference is that one is GSM and the other is CDMA. I also did not recommend any particular carrier. Both the 8520 and 8530 are good devices. However, the OP needs to decide on which carrier has better coverage where he lives and works. Whether he gets the 8520 or 8530 will depend on the carrier he chooses.
    05-22-10 07:06 PM
    I never said there is anything wrong with the 8520 or 8530. I merely stated that the only difference is that one is GSM and the other is CDMA. I also did not recommend any particular carrier. Both the 8520 and 8530 are good devices. However, the OP needs to decide on which carrier has better coverage where he lives and works. Whether he gets the 8520 or 8530 will depend on the carrier he chooses.
    Come visit anytime. We can use any help around here, but do keep in mind that most of us do not like when words like, starter, cheap, beginner, entry-level, bad, low-quality, and alikes are associated with our device of choise, since that's just not true to the device's capabilities.

I agree with the rest of what you said thou, finding the best carrier and then picking up a berry from what they have is the best course here.
    05-22-10 07:24 PM
    Come visit anytime. We can use any help around here, but do keep in mind that most of us do not like when words like, starter, cheap, beginner, entry-level, bad, low-quality, and alikes are associated with our device of choise, since that's just not true to the device's capabilities.

I agree with the rest of what you said thou, finding the best carrier and then picking up a berry from what they have is the best course here.
    It looks like californiablackberry mentioned "starter". I didn't. I actually tried out the 9700 and the 8520 last Wednesday at the AT&T store. I found the 8520 easier to type on than the 9700. I'll probably go for the Slider when it is available and my upgrade is due, but if I had to choose between the 9700 and 8520, I'd take the 8520 since it was easier to type on.
    05-22-10 07:30 PM
    It looks like californiablackberry mentioned "starter". I didn't. I actually tried out the 9700 and the 8520 last Wednesday at the AT&T store. I found the 8520 easier to type on than the 9700. I'll probably go for the Slider when it is available and my upgrade is due, but if I had to choose between the 9700 and 8520, I'd take the 8520 since it was easier to type on.
    I stand corrected. The come & visit part is still valid thou.

Glad you liked it. Aside for the lack of flash, I am quite sure it's gonna live up to expectations if you do decide on buying it.
    05-22-10 07:36 PM
    I think the curve series is the most well balanced phone. I love the 8330. This series 8530 has true qualities and better features however half of what I have read has either a wobbly keypad, or wobbly trackpad or both while others say their keypad and trackpad didn't move so I couldn't tell if what was normal and what was not I then called a blackberry tech and he said it wasn't normal for them to move so I went to the stoe and guess what most of the ones they had moved some worse than others except for one. I then started thinking maybe it would be better to get a different blackberry and so I did. I got a tour which has a flash on the camera.

05-22-10 08:03 PM
    Is the quality of the device good? My concern is that it is CDMA and GSM. Will that make any difference in network speeds? I don't travel so SIM cards don't matter to me. Is it worth getting the Curve 8530 since it is CDMA?
    The 8530 is a really good phone. And of course, if you're not traveling, it's better to have CDMA than GSM. 8530 is not the best phone but I'm pretty sure you'll like it. RIM never failed on making phones, maybe except for the "clumshell."

05-22-10 08:17 PM
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.
    I owned a 8530, I don't have a Bold nor do I own a BB anymore.
    The OP seems like a new Blackberry user, most tech sites, including Crackberry have stated that the 8530 is a 'starter/entry-level' Blackberry. Starter, in my books means:' A good first device for a first time Blackberry user, the key that starts your obsession to BB. ' I was very defensive over this term at first also. I loved my Curve 2, the keyboard, the fast OS 5, WiFi and the sleek, modern look it had. I miss it very much. I never mean to say any rude, hurtful or snobby comments anywhere; I am sorry if you took my statement incorrectly.
    We are all here to mostly consult about one thing, Blackberry. So lets just all be friends and talk about the one thing we all enjoy.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 05-22-10 at 08:23 PM.
    05-22-10 08:18 PM
    And people wonder why I like it in here...
    05-22-10 08:42 PM
    LOL you guys are funny! And yes It'll be my first BB, and Im relieved to know, that it doesnt make a difference that it will be on a CDMA network. Thank you all for the advice! I appreciate it!
    05-22-10 09:09 PM
    hi i have the bb 8530 can some1 please tell me if it has a flash 4 the camera ?
    05-22-10 09:16 PM
    I got my first BB, the 8530, last month and I am really liking it. For me the 8530 is a solid phone; it's a phone that has great call quality (very important to me) as well as so many customization and options, in addition to running apps with no problems.

There is a little learning curve, but it is worth the time.

Overall, great phone
    05-22-10 09:20 PM
    hi i have the bb 8530 can some1 please tell me if it has a flash 4 the camera ?
    You have the device, wouldn't you know if it has flash, if its in your hands and you can see it?
    Anyways, No the 85XX line doesn't have flash.
    05-22-10 09:37 PM
    I own the 8530 and I like it a lot. I think the Trackpad alone is a huge improvement over the Trackball. The difference between the 8520 and 8530 is, like it was said before, GSM vs CDMA. Also the 8530 was released a bit later then the 8520 and came with OS 5 out of the box.
    05-23-10 08:50 AM
    I own the 8530 and I like it a lot. I think the Trackpad alone is a huge improvement over the Trackball. The difference between the 8520 and 8530 is, like it was said before, GSM vs CDMA. Also the 8530 was released a bit later then the 8520 and came with OS 5 out of the box.
    Actually it goes beyond that:

8530 has GPS and 3G. While the 8520 doesn't.
    On the behalf of the 8520, lack of 3G turns into longer battery life (usually).
    05-23-10 10:03 AM
    I have both a Bold 9700 and a Curve 8530. It's very clear RIM took everything about the Bold and said, "how do we make this cheaper?" and came out with the Curve.

The 8530 is a good device with very solid build quality. And if the cost cutting actually resulted in a device you prefer to the Bold, more power to you.
    Last edited by acaden; 05-23-10 at 04:03 PM.
    05-23-10 04:00 PM
    Well, I got the 8530 when it dropped in Dec of 2009. I loved it. You would have thought that I worked for RIM because of my praise for it. By the first week in Feb 2010, it was dead. I was at work and I picked it up and felt that it was quite warm and within a couple of hours, it was dead. Verizon sent me a brand new one and again, I loved it. With the exception of not having a flash, it beats the pants out of the Tour any day. Well this past Friday 5/21/10, at work again I reached for my device from it's holster and it's really warm again and by the next hour it's D.O.A. again. WTF? I don't work in a nuke facility. Just an office building. My office is in the basement and surrounded by concrete and my phone does fight to maintain a signal but in my office building, everyone that has a company phone is using a Blackberry and mine's is the only one that going belly-up. What gives? One of my employees is on Metro PCS and he always has a signal down there while I drop call like they're hot potatoes despite being told by Verizon that Metro PCS uses their cell towers. My Pearl 8130 is coming out of retirement again waiting for my third 8530 to get here. My Pearl has always been 100% rock solid. IDK! I'm starting to get worried about my beloved 8530 now. Two bum devices in a row during a 5 month period? Maybe but I don't think so. Anyone had any problems like mine's? I'll keep y'all posted...

decolur455
    05-23-10 05:35 PM
    BTW, isn't my pin number cool and quite easy to remember (313AFD22) and now I'll have a new one that's probably cryptic as all get up once again; grrrrrr!
    05-23-10 05:39 PM
    Well, I got the 8530 when it dropped in Dec of 2009. I loved it. You would have thought that I worked for RIM because of my praise for it. By the first week in Feb 2010, it was dead. I was at work and I picked it up and felt that it was quite warm and within a couple of hours, it was dead. Verizon sent me a brand new one and again, I loved it. With the exception of not having a flash, it beats the pants out of the Tour any day. Well this past Friday 5/21/10, at work again I reached for my device from it's holster and it's really warm again and by the next hour it's D.O.A. again. WTF? I don't work in a nuke facility. Just an office building. My office is in the basement and surrounded by concrete and my phone does fight to maintain a signal but in my office building, everyone that has a company phone is using a Blackberry and mine's is the only one that going belly-up. What gives? One of my employees is on Metro PCS and he always has a signal down there while I drop call like they're hot potatoes despite being told by Verizon that Metro PCS uses their cell towers. My Pearl 8130 is coming out of retirement again waiting for my third 8530 to get here. My Pearl has always been 100% rock solid. IDK! I'm starting to get worried about my beloved 8530 now. Two bum devices in a row during a 5 month period? Maybe but I don't think so. Anyone had any problems like mine's? I'll keep y'all posted...

decolur455
    That bites. When I had mine (3 days is all I had it for then traded in for the tour) mine got really warm (my other bb never did) but they said it was normal.
    Mine worked I changed it because the key pad was wobbly and the ones they had at the store was no better.
    Anyways I haven't heard of this issue yet. Just weird.

05-23-10 08:29 PM
    I am also a first time BB user and had my 8530 since February. So far I am very, very happy with it. The battery life seemed short at first, but after it got "worn-in" and I followed some hints on efficient battery use from this forum, it easily lasts me two days. Since you are not travelling, I think you should go for the 8530 vs 8520. GPS is a very useful feature and 3G is pretty standard these days - the two main advantages of 8530. Regarding "top of the line" Bold, as far as I understand the biggest differences are: higher display resolution, bigger keyboard, faster CPU, camera flash and higher picture resolution, as well as the obvious size and higher quality materials. None of the above make the experience much different in terms of functionality, since both phones run the same 5.0 operating system. Curve is definitely a good place to start venturing out into BB world because of its price and full functionality. I hope you will have a positive experience with whatever phone you end up choosing!

P.S. This forum is the best resource for your BB troubleshooting. Come here often to check on software updates and news about bb.

05-24-10 12:15 AM
    Is the 8530 screen resolution a huge difference from the 9700? Does the 8530 screen look a lot worse?
    05-24-10 09:38 AM
    I just recently got the 8530. I have to admit, when I first got it, it did feel like a lesser product than what I had previously had (I came to Verizon from T-Mobile, and had jumped from the 8900 to the 8530.) However, the things that I would consider to be trade-offs quickly showed me that I was happier with the 8530. While the screen resolution and flash on the camera were two things, having the trackpad and 3G was worth the trade.

I do think the battery life could improve, but I've made adjustments to make sure I get the most out of it, (plus I live by the rule of thumb to charge when not in use.)

I upgraded my fiancee from the Pearl to this phone and she loves it.

All in all, I recommend this phone. It isn't a good device... it's a great device, because it's made by RIM.

(BTW - I'm new. Hi.)
    05-24-10 10:04 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD