I'm looking for some fairly basic help regarding the security of my curve.

I have a password set which I believe would be fairly secure if someone tried to gain access.

My question is what other steps should I take regarding the security of my handset and what steps do members of this forum take.

I'm also curious as to what happens if I enable my encryption setting under options?.

One concern I have with the password feature would be that I believe the handset can be reset if the password is typed in wrong the number of times set. If someone fooled around with my phone then they could wipe it intentionally, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 02:46 AM
    Setting a password is a very good way to protect your BlackBerry's data. Once set, you really do ned to do very regular Syncing and make Backups. If somebody types the password in wrong 10 times (by default) and then types the word "blackberry" when prompted the device will reset. The data can be restored from a Backup and that is why this needs to be done on a vefy regular basis.

In Options, Security Options, Encryption you can encrypt the data on your Media Card. Again, make sure that you have a copy of your data.

The BlackBerry is highly secure and without the password normal people just CANNOT get in to it.
    07-07-10 04:51 AM
    Pete6, thanks for info.

When you say regular backups are you talking about using the Blackberry desktop manager?.

That is something I have not done before. Is it fairly straight forward?

Thanks again

07-07-10 05:27 AM
    Pete6, thanks for info.

When you say regular backups are you talking about using the Blackberry desktop manager?.

That is something I have not done before. Is it fairly straight forward?

Thanks again

How To: Backup And Restore Your BlackBerry | BlackBerry Rocks!

Full instructions on how to backup (or restore) your BB.
    07-07-10 09:54 AM
    Many thanks

07-07-10 11:00 AM
    Many thanks

No problem
    07-07-10 11:48 AM
    FAO Pete6

When you say normal people cannot gain access to my Blackberry if it is password protected, does that mean that people who know what they are doing can gain access?

Thanks

07-07-10 03:05 PM
    FAO Pete6

When you say normal people cannot gain access to my Blackberry if it is password protected, does that mean that people who know what they are doing can gain access?

Thanks

Only people who knows the password will be able to gain access on your phone. Just be sure that other people will not try putting wrong passwords 10 times, because it will reset your phone.
    07-07-10 04:44 PM
    Is there no way to stop someone wiping your Blackberry on purpose?.

07-08-10 02:13 AM
    Is there no way to stop someone wiping your Blackberry on purpose?.

Ummm, I don't think there's a way of doing that. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not really sure.
    07-08-10 10:45 AM
    The password reset is a security feature. Otherwise they could brute force your password. That's why websites lock your account after multiple wrong passwords

07-08-10 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD