hi,

i am still contemplating between 8900 and 8520. But I think I like 8900 more. Heres my reasons summarised:

newer
    seems to be stripped down version
    touchpad
    no sat nav

8900 on orange in HMV music shop in UK
    sat nav - I presume with orange maps?
    ball mouse
    But is maps pre loaded on memory?
    Does sat nav work off GPS only or you need GPRS/3G connection? -As I would like to be able to use sat nav off GPS only.
    How would I update the maps?

Also I understand about not being able to have push email without a data plan. But is there third party apps that will allow me to run it off WIFI? So all the outgoing emails queue up. Then as soon as I get home and it finds my home WIFI it will then sync/send all my outgoing emails. The nearest I have found is logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/wiki]LogicMail for BlackBerry. But can anyone confirm this or give me any more information?

thanks
    10-29-09 05:58 AM
    I have an 8900 and love it. I can't answer the questions about use without data, but I can tell you my thoughts on the 8520. One of my co-workers just got one and I had a chance to play with it. I found the outer caseing to feel cheap and plastic. The weight feels less then my 8900, but at what cost? I have dropped my 8900 and it suffered no ill effects from the drop, I'm not sure the 8520 would survive a short fall. The trackpad is different, if you are used to a trackball, it will take some getting used to. Personally I think the 8900 is the superior bb.

Maps are not preloaded, any of the GPS mapping software requires data. There are GPS geocaching programs that you can use without data, but if you want directional informkaion you will need a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 06:33 AM
    Ah. thanks. Yeah when I saw the 8520 . The fascia was nice - how the touch pad was flat with the green/red buttons but what let me down was the grubby rubber buttons at the side and the music player buttons at the top. Aparentely Blackberry changed due to buttons were jamming on models like the 8900 / bold .

Yes does Blackberry have a sat nav applicatoin that I can install that has maps pre installed like TomTom?

And finally, yes i agree 8900 seems more superior although its older model.
    10-29-09 08:37 AM
    Ive just found out about this, seems I can sync email over the WIFI?

email

Synchronization
    About synchronization
    The wireless data synchronization feature is designed to synchronize organizer data (contacts, calendar entries, tasks, and memos) between
    your BlackBerry� device and the email application on your computer over the wireless network.
    The wireless email reconciliation feature is designed to reconcile email messages between your device and the email application on your
    computer over the wireless network. When you file or delete email messages on your device, these email messages should be filed or deleted
    in your email application. Likewise, any changes that you make to email messages in the email application on your computer should be reflected
    on your device.
    If wireless data synchronization or wireless email reconciliation is not available on your device or you have turned them off, you can use the
    synchronization tool of the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager to synchronize your organizer data and email messages. For more information, see
    the BlackBerry Desktop Software Online Help.
    Reconcile email messages over the wireless network
    Set the Wireless Reconcile option for each email address that is associated with your BlackBerry� device.
    1. On the Home screen, click the Messages icon.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Click Options.
    4. Click Email Reconciliation.
    5. If necessary, change the Message Services field.
    6. Set the Wireless Reconcile field to On.
    7. Press the Menu key.
    8. Click Save.
    To stop reconciling email messages over the wireless network, set the Wireless Reconcile field to Of
    I can also use Sat nav without the data plan?

sat nav

Turn off location aiding
    Depending on your wireless service provider and wireless network, this feature might not be supported. By default, location aiding is turned
    on to improve the performance of GPS technology. When location aiding is turned on, your BlackBerry� device connects to a central server
    periodically, which can increase your data service charges. To avoid these charges, you can turn off location aiding, but it might take longer
    for your device to get your GPS location. For more information, contact your wireless service provider.
    1. On the Home screen, click the Options icon.
    2. Click Advanced Options.
    User Guide GPS technology
    1933. Click GPS.
    4. Perform one of the following actions:
    • To turn off location aiding, change the Location Aiding field to Disabled.
    • To turn off location aiding when roaming, change the Location Aiding field to Disabled While Roaming.
    5. Press the Menu key.
    6. Click Save.
    Essentially is it not telling the Blackbeery to never use the data plan and to run sat nav off the GPS only? - can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by cv65user; 10-29-09 at 11:18 AM.
    10-29-09 11:08 AM
    the trackpad alone won my vote. but the white 8900 is looking pretty sexy.
    10-29-09 01:14 PM
    yes there is gps built in but im not sure what chip is being used. If it is a very weak receiver chip it would be pointless to use it as a stand alone gps unit. The data plan is used for assist gps for helping you to find you fixed location base on the cell phone towers. hope this helps.
    10-29-09 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD