I got this black berry curve 8330 from a friend on the weekend to replace my broken Pearl. He said it worked fine but it sometimes had a voice dialing problem. After wiping all the personal data and activating the phone the voice dialing went nuts. Every 6 to 9 sec the voice dialing would activate. But there was no sound as well. After reading many forums posts I download memmax and removed all VAD files. But I will still left with no sound. I went and did a test on the hardware and the speaker and microphone both worked fine. Puzzled I tried playing a ringtone, , it plays maybe the first second of the file and then the sounds goes away but I am able to get it back by press the Speaker/$ key. I then tried making a phone call and the phone was working just fine. About an hour later I tired calling someone and the issue had raisin again. This time I was unable to get the sound back. (I tried resetting many times with no success.) I could still play media files, but was unable to get sound making or receiving calls (this includes the other party not being able to hear me as well.) I tired changing profiles with no success. I then did some more reading and tried updating the OS. Once that was done and voice dialing had been reinstalled and started acting up again. SO I removed it and basically everything happened all over again. So right now I have a phone that I can�t make calls on but I can still text and use the internet. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Should I try wiping the OS and reinstall or is this phone F***ed.?
    10-13-09 09:14 AM
    Whoa, slow down there cowboy...

Ok, when you say the VAD activates, do you mean the lady says "say a command"? the left side convenience key is set to activate the VAD by default, you could be pressing that or it could be glitchy. go into options>screen/keyboard and change the left side convenience key to nothing. See if that helps at all.

I'm not sure i follow what you mean when you say there is no sound.. can you elaborate on that?
    10-13-09 09:41 AM
    No the lady doesn't say anything b/c there is no sound at that point. I did try disabling the side button the VAD kept turning on. I mean when the VAD is acting up the phone doesn't seem to have sound. I haven�t tried playing ringtone while the VAD is acting up because it keeps interrupting me from doing so.
    10-13-09 09:51 AM
    hm. got me. what OS are you running?
    10-13-09 10:08 AM
    I believe the latest version. I update the phone sunday night
    10-13-09 11:19 AM
    Go to your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\Your OS Folder\Java folder and remove all the .cod files with vad in them.

They look like this:

net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource_en.cod

If you have a bunch of other vad files like

net_rim_vad_resource_es.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource_ko.cod

etc. remove those as well because those are foreign language support files for vad as well.

After you have deleted all the vad files, connect your BB to the usb port then go to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader folder and double-click on the loader.exe file to remove the vad files from your BB.
    This should fix your problem.
    10-13-09 01:03 PM
    I believe the latest version. I update the phone sunday night
    The latest version is pretty vague, there are betas, leaks, official leaks, all sorts of goodies. Go into options>about> and look at the 3rd line v4.5.0somethin or v5.0.0.230 probably and the previous post is talking about removing the files on your cmoputer and then reloading the OS to your phone.. not sure how comfortable you are with that....
    10-13-09 01:12 PM
    Ok I tried the above solution and the sound worked for one ring and then cut out :P. I am currently running version 4.50.169. Any other idea on how to fix this sound problem?
    10-13-09 05:32 PM
    Is the ringtone you are using stored on a memory card?

If it is, try taking the card out of your phone and using a stock ringtone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 05:50 PM
    The ringtones are from the stock memory.
    10-13-09 09:19 PM
    i had the same problem with the voice dialing and the verizon store couldn't fix it...so i ended up with a "new" replacement phone.
    10-13-09 09:54 PM
    Ok, so I wiped the Os and reinstalled but with no success. I had sound for a second and then nothing. I tried wiping the os again and installed a older version still no success and the voice dialing is still going nuts. I again tested the hardware and it seems to be fine. I am very puzzled. Does anyone know if blackberrys have a firmware / bios that the os runs off of that I could reinstall? because i believe if there is one that a setting is stuck and cause this issue to keep ariasing no matter how many times I reinstall the OS.
    10-14-09 02:47 PM
    If the BB is less than 12 mos old, ask your friend to take it in for a replacement under warranty.
    10-14-09 03:11 PM
    You're using the official OS from your carrier right? I'm totally bumfuzzled why it's doing that unless you're running a beta that doesn't agree with something for some reason...
    10-14-09 03:28 PM
    Yup I'm using the official OS from telus. Yeah the phone is older than 12 months and that why I am going to all this trouble because I don't want to pay to have it fixed :P. Plus I love a techincal challenge
    10-14-09 04:16 PM
    A challenge you have found.. unless somebody smarter and brighter chimes in it I don't know what to tell you... sorry pal.
    10-14-09 06:30 PM
    Well I got it working for the second time tonight. Man this phone is a dream when it works. I tested to see if it really was fixed. Nope after a master reboot and same old **** happens. So it's working again after removing all OS setting and reloading the latest OS and removing the VAD files. It seems in my case it was the removal of the OS setting the changed the outcome compared to other attempts. Btw after removing the VAD files you can no longer use the about feature in options, I don't know if that just my phone or if it happens to everyone who does this. I am going to keep working on this problem.
    10-14-09 09:37 PM
    Yes, the About screen needs one of the vad resource files to display.

You can hold the Alt key down and press Rt shift + H from the Home screen.

What OS setting are you removing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 09:46 PM
    To be honest I have no idea what OS setting are being removed. I just used the OS exe and instead of using the repair function I used the Remove OS function. So I'm guess all the files are replaced on my computer and all the setting and set back to default. I then go to apploader and reinstall, but it doesn't take nearly as long as it did when I wiped out the OS off the phone so I'm guessing that it is just restoring some files or setting that maybe become corrupt when the error occurs and I lose sound.
    10-14-09 10:19 PM
    I got this black berry curve 8330 from a friend on the weekend to replace my broken Pearl. He said it worked fine but it sometimes had a voice dialing problem. After wiping all the personal data and activating the phone the voice dialing went nuts. Every 6 to 9 sec the voice dialing would activate. But there was no sound as well. After reading many forums posts I download memmax and removed all VAD files. But I will still left with no sound. I went and did a test on the hardware and the speaker and microphone both worked fine. Puzzled I tried playing a ringtone, , it plays maybe the first second of the file and then the sounds goes away but I am able to get it back by press the Speaker/$ key. I then tried making a phone call and the phone was working just fine. About an hour later I tired calling someone and the issue had raisin again. This time I was unable to get the sound back. (I tried resetting many times with no success.) I could still play media files, but was unable to get sound making or receiving calls (this includes the other party not being able to hear me as well.) I tired changing profiles with no success. I then did some more reading and tried updating the OS. Once that was done and voice dialing had been reinstalled and started acting up again. SO I removed it and basically everything happened all over again. So right now I have a phone that I can�t make calls on but I can still text and use the internet. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Should I try wiping the OS and reinstall or is this phone F***ed.?

My curve did the same thing,i used crackmem and deleted voice dialing all together, but my sound is still screwed up! I cant hear anyone when i call them and they cant hear me. Sometimes when I call it works and 90% of the time it doesnt work. When it does work, and I go to option the "activate handset" and "activate Speakerphone" show up in options, but when the sound isnt working they arent in the option pane. I dont know what the deal is I cant figure it out. It used to fix with a battery pull but now that doesnt work half the time. Its very annoying that i can only use my phone for everything EXCEPT a phone. When the sound is on there is a blue and black box in the corner by the volume bar, but when its not working its not there. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-15-09 03:03 PM
    My curve did the same thing,i used crackmem and deleted voice dialing all together, but my sound is still screwed up! I cant hear anyone when i call them and they cant hear me. Sometimes when I call it works and 90% of the time it doesnt work. When it does work, and I go to option the "activate handset" and "activate Speakerphone" show up in options, but when the sound isnt working they arent in the option pane. I dont know what the deal is I cant figure it out. It used to fix with a battery pull but now that doesnt work half the time. Its very annoying that i can only use my phone for everything EXCEPT a phone. When the sound is on there is a blue and black box in the corner by the volume bar, but when its not working its not there. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know your pain, my phone isn't working AGAIN! I was doing some more reading and came across a forum on here talking about speakers being locked if a sound file is interrupted. Lol and the solution to fixing the problem is to activate voice dialing. That won't work for us :P Does anyone know anymore details about this file problem? I also found today that the microphone also locks up and failed the hardware test this morning. Maybe the microphone is causing this issue when it locks up or fails. Also I noticed today if I plug headphones into the phone I can hear phone calls but the microphone is still down. Also with the headphones plugged into the phone the ringtone and media files still play out the main load speaker and not the headphones, Weird.
    10-15-09 03:20 PM
    Update. Well the microphone has gone and due the lack of repair shops and trouble locating replacement parts I was unable to fix the problem myself. Last night I went to my local network provider customer care centre and was able to order a replacement curve for a reasonable price. I hope this curve is trouble free.
    Last edited by NiZAtE; 10-23-09 at 08:31 AM.
    10-23-09 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD