Hi All,

I love my new BB curve (I've had it for about 6 weeks) but there is one really annoying issue. Every once in a while, I'll pick up my curve and the screen will be black with the red LED light stuck in the on position. Basically, I have to power down and then turn it back on. After that, everything is fine - until the next time it happens of course.

Initially, I thought it was a lock feature for whenever the phone is dropped to prevent damage but I don't think so. It seems to happen 3 to 4 times a week.

Sprint is my carrier.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

James
    07-21-08 03:40 PM
    I've been having the same problem with my phone. except it used to only happen when i dropped it, now it happens randomly, seemingly whenever i need my phone the most.

ANY suggestions: software update maybe, or returning the phone to AT&T?

-Keenan
    07-21-08 04:21 PM
    It could be a result of you actually dropping your phone, especially if it initially happened when it got dropped. I'm just speculating though. Something could have gotten knocked loose in there
    07-21-08 04:22 PM
    I don't think you are right at all...
    I just bought mine(3 days ago and no drops) and am having
    the same problem. Specifically with at one coffeeshop with
    wireless internet

I am taking it back tonight!
    09-23-08 03:31 PM
    I started out Monday night with a new Blackberry Curve 8350i with Nextel service. I had the device less than 24 hours and the screen froze up. Only soloution to remove battery and start back up. I decided to switch to Sprint network and got a new Curve 8330 and still have same problem. I talked to tech support thru Nextel and they told me it was a software problem. It seems to happen only after I have used an internet application. Never owning a Blackberry before I was excited to try it, and now I am not so sure with less than a week into owning 2 brand new ones with the same issues!!!
    Anyone have any suggestions other than taking battery out every time it happens/
    Thanks!!!
    New Owner
    08-21-09 12:22 PM
    Are you closing applications properly after you are done with them? Press Menu (BB key) and select Close/Exit. Do not use the Back or End key, they can leave the apps running in device memory.

Isn't it a huge coincidence that you have had
    2 devices in a short period of time with exactly the same problem? The devices use different versions of software, so a software problem is not likely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 12:42 PM
    Mines only 5 days old (8330) using 4.5.0.169 with BBM 5.0 and a bunch of apps. Nothing running in the background except the basics. Might have had the browser left on google page but the browser is constantly running anyway. It happened to me twice today. I have loads of memory left. Would like to know if you guys who are also having problems are running BBM 5.0. I just have a funny feeling.

08-24-09 10:36 PM
    I'm having similar problems. Owning it two days i consider the phone being well preserved (i bought it on ebay used) but twice or three times it went off suddenly. I thought it was poor battery which i still haven't replaced and yes it didn't ever happen when i had it on charger - but - the battery was almost full last time and in that case it went off on trackball press. Sure it is better than if it started sending e-mails and calling random contacts but yet there's a bit too much spirit in it so much that it knocks itself off. I will kill it if the vertigo does not sip down. That means i first take screwdriver and dismantle it checking if anything went loose but the next tool is hammer. Has anybody here found better way? I mean something like fixing the issue while retaining function? E.g. replacing this or that helps as it is often broken/having bad contact
    Or it is software problem. My version is 4.2.2.170(Platform 2.5.0.30).
    It is unlocked from at 'n t and i use it with Vodafone while i still haven't activated internet and have zeroes on GPS it didn't cause any problems with the new carrier.
    Thanks, Dave
    09-01-09 12:40 PM
    battery pull should fix it
    09-01-09 01:06 PM
    It wouldn't hurt to upgrade it to 4.5 software. Though the symptoms could also be hardware related, possibly moisture/liquid damage.

Try the OS upgrade first. Since it is only 2 days old, I recommend wiping everything off the BB, OS and all with a utility like JL Commander or BBSAK, so you can start with a clean slate.

09-01-09 01:13 PM
    Luckily - as i want to use it, not to make survival contests - it appears to be SIM holder in my case which is too loose to keep the card firmly in contact. It became obvious - it goes black because card is disconnected. It started to show "Insert SIM card" instead of displaying the carrier as otherwise occasionally on boot up until i found some way to make the berth less comfortable. I haven't fixed it reliably as i tried to insert a piece of paper, flexing the little tong of the holder lid, but no much use. Finally i flexed all six contacts slightly upwards which seemed risky but i'll wait how long it holds until next reboot. I hate the long start ups and i'd like to go to sleep now. Clearly if nothing is wrong from contacts to circuitry i'm off. It'd be the simplest reason for immediate shutdown and no bothering about the bugs in OS. I may feel dull when sleeping. Hope i was right and it helps somebody else too.
    09-01-09 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD