I have a BB Curve 8330 and right after start-up, during software verification, the screen dims out as if to save energy and the keyboard remains 100% unusable at this point.

Now, if i were to plug it into a USB power source or wall jack, it will light up once again for only a few seconds, (and same if i were to unplug it). Mind you, even while the screen is lit up the keys remain unfunctionable, although the trackball, if spun, will prompt the "device locked" (insert password) screen only, and I remain unable to insert the password. (i.e. clicking of the trackball does nothing before or after prompt.)

I have loaded a few different operating systems such as 4.5 etc, 4.3...
    into the phone, as well as tried different updates and downgrades, yet still this problem persists.

In fact, the only piece of memory remaining from my settings seems to be my password. Every time i reset or reinstall anything for the phone it asks for my password, which doesn't make sense in my mind, seeing as with computers to reinstall an operating system, any administrator passwords would be erased. So I suspect its a password related glitch, perhaps if I could remove the password from the phone using strictly a PC??

If anyone has solved this issue in the past or has any ideas, I would be most appreciative
    Thank you
    06-25-10 07:12 PM
    The last-used password is stored in a location that isn't erased, even if you wipe the device. Reinstalling an OS does not reset the password. That's part of the security. However, it sounds to me like you have a hardware failure. Did you get the device wet?
    06-25-10 08:54 PM
    Hmm, interesting, the device hasn't ever been wet, it has been dropped a few times, but nothing major, it even looks new.
    Unfortunately its 14 months old, just past warranty, but whats funny is that it's behaving similar to a time when an assortment of keys were entered into the password screen and my device was frozen into a similar unusable state.
    How sensitive are blackberry's to vibrations and magnets? If its a hardware issue, I'm curious if the sub-woofer in my car could be the culprit.
    06-26-10 03:26 AM
    There's a magnetic switch located in the vicinity of the space bar, v, and b keys that puts the device to sleep when you holster it. I haven't heard of that switch being damaged by exposure to extremely strong magnets, but it would respond to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 08:28 AM
    Wow, I think you're onto something. I'm not a user of the holster, but I'm guessing there's a magnet in the holster that's only slightly stronger than that of the opposite pole which is stored under the spacebar and b,v,c keys as you indicated.
    Which i would imagine induces the phone to sleep (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Now, does this device magnet serve any other purpose? Because I'm now wondering if it would be safer to remove this magnet or to induce it, or reverse its poles?
    Its been a long time since i studied physics.....
    Any ideas?
    06-26-10 12:42 PM
    The effect of a magnet decreases proportionately to the square of the distance between the magnets, so unless you are placing your phone directly on the subwoofer magnet, it's very unlikely it is affecting your phone. I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the switch from your keyboard.
    06-27-10 06:49 AM
    Well i have successfully disassembled the phone, but I am having trouble locating the proximity sensor(s).
    If you, Jeff, or anyone else has a link for a diagram that would be most helpful.
    I have been having a hard time finding further information
    thanks again
    06-27-10 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD