I currently have a Curve 8310 it was my first BB and I love it! Its time for me to upgrade on my contract so on Monday I have a Curve 8520 arriving. Which one shall I keep and which one should I sell? Is there anything which I would have got used to on the 8310 that I cant do on the 8520? Basically is there anything you think I should know about the 8520 that might help my decision. I'm not very technical so its taken me a while to get the best out of my 8310 by adding some great apps. I dont really understand Operating Systems? what do they mean?

Any help greatly appreciated...
    10-24-09 06:28 AM
    Since you have the 8520 coming, give it a try. I think you'll like it. Keep in mind that BlackBerries all work alike. You'll see you will be able to pick it right up. I'm sure you know OS just tell the device how to run, like Windows on a PC. Each new OS should solve problems with the previous and add functions. If you like how your device runs, you don't have to worry too much about your OS. You should only upgrade when there's something new you want. Like I put the 5.0 on my 8900 to get threaded sms texts and other options that came with that OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 06:45 AM
    Since you have the 8520 coming, give it a try. I think you'll like it. Keep in mind that BlackBerries all work alike. You'll see you will be able to pick it right up. I'm sure you know OS just tell the device how to run, like Windows on a PC. Each new OS should solve problems with the previous and add functions. If you like how your device runs, you don't have to worry too much about your OS. You should only upgrade when there's something new you want. Like I put the 5.0 on my 8900 to get threaded sms texts and other options that came with that OS.

Thanks for your help there! What are threaded texts? (I told you I wasnt technical!)
    10-24-09 06:50 AM
    Lol, texts com in like a bbmessenger conversation. When you have a series of text messages with someone, all those texts stay in a folder with only the texts between the two of you, and each text has it's own little balloon so you can see what each of you has written.

10-24-09 06:59 AM
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

Curve 8520 over 8310 cons/pros:

+ 256MB device and flash memory (vs 64MB on 8310)
    + hot-swappable MicroSD card
    + WiFi functionality

- no camera flash (+1 for 8310)
    - no GPS functionality (+1 for 8310)
    - not Hearing Aids Compatible (8310 is M3/T3 rated)

+/- both have the same 320x240 screen
    +/- personal preference: trackball vs trackpad
    +/- dedicated media keys (do you really NEED them?)

Glad to be of help, personally I would sell both and buy the Curve 8900 or Tour, the high resolution screen is fantastic. I have tried the trackpad and like it much, but somehow feel the accuracy is higher with the trackball (anyone feel the same?). Also, if you're already on an unlimited data plan maybe WiFi is not that useful so GPS could be of more use (this is situational), but the 8900 has both for example (so does the Bold). Although the camera is (let's be honest,) horrible, the flash makes quite a significant difference with the 8310 although the 8900/Tour have the awesome 3.2MP camera with autofocus AND flash

Either way you are a winner and have a great device you can be proud of. Since you are getting to compare both before the final decision, see for yourself whether it is good to go with the 8310 or 8520.

- shinkodachi
    10-24-09 07:35 AM
    8520 is a nice solid device, I think you'll like it, you can make some cash off your 8310
    10-24-09 08:07 AM
    Of the differences, the one that should jump out is the memory, when I had my 8320, I was always working to keep a decent amount of file free memory. With my 8900 it is one thing I never have to worry about. Shinks is right about getting a 8900 or Bold. The difference is amazing - not to mention media functionality. They just work.

Some companies let you take advantage of WiFi. My calls while on WiFi/UMA do not count against my minute bank, and it's browser is faster, much faster.

10-24-09 08:07 AM
    Of the differences, the one that should jump out is the memory, when I had my 8320, I was always working to keep a decent amount of file free memory. With my 8900 it is one thing I never have to worry about. Shinks is right about getting a 8900 or Bold. The difference is amazing - not to mention media functionality. They just work.

Some companies let you take advantage of WiFi. My calls while on WiFi/UMA do not count against my minute bank, and it's browser is faster, much faster.

I have just rung my service provider and put a 'stop' on the 8520, I have asked them to send me the 8900 instead. Do you think I have done the right thing?
    10-24-09 10:05 AM
    I have just rung my service provider and put a 'stop' on the 8520, I have asked them to send me the 8900 instead. Do you think I have done the right thing?
    You absolutely have!! If the 8520 impressed you, wait til you get your hands
    on the 8900. It is a far and away superior device. Good choice
    10-24-09 10:13 AM
    Like you, my first BB was the 8310 and I've had it for 2 years. Now (today, actually) I'm gonna upgrade to the 8900. I personally am getting it for the WiFi (we don't have 3G here so I want the faster connection), the faster processor, and more memory. The camera and screen features are just extra bonuses I'm excited about!

So I'm gonna have to agree that upgrading to the 8900 is a better choice

10-24-09 11:09 AM
    Thanks everybody!
    10-27-09 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD