please read my last post, miss-communication here!
    02-16-09 02:05 PM
    This was one of the ugliest threads in weeks!
    02-16-09 02:08 PM
    We were due for one haha
    02-16-09 02:09 PM
    so i'm still pissed off about this whole thing, but never the less i fell that RIM hasn't properly tested/designed this if by using the leather pouch puts the phone at more risk. i really liked this phone and was handling it very carefully but my phone will now and forever always go in my pocket, and if it can't handle that then i can't have the phone. so like the thread post says my screen cracked and i'm dissapointed in the 8900, and i'm hoping that you all will learn something from my misfortune
    02-16-09 02:15 PM
    so i'm still pissed off about this whole thing, but never the less i fell that RIM hasn't properly tested/designed this if by using the leather pouch puts the phone at more risk. i really liked this phone and was handling it very carefully but my phone will now and forever always go in my pocket, and if it can't handle that then i can't have the phone. so like the thread post says my screen cracked and i'm dissapointed in the 8900, and i'm hoping that you all will learn something from my misfortune
    Why don't you just repair it and return it (within 30 days in CA), assuming they don't give you a refurb with new numbers. Or, even better, why don't you repair it and sell it, you'll probably sell for about $400+ which means you'll only really be losing out on a little bit, and then you can go back to your Curve I.
    02-16-09 02:24 PM
    Why don't you just repair it and return it (within 30 days in CA), assuming they don't give you a refurb with new numbers. Or, even better, why don't you repair it and sell it, you'll probably sell for about $400+ which means you'll only really be losing out on a little bit, and then you can go back to your Curve I.
    thats a good ieda! but i can't find a place that sells a replacement screen... i usually get all my stuff from cnn.cn
    02-16-09 02:27 PM
    To be totally honest, I love RIM and ive had a blackberry since the very beginning. However I agree that their build quality especially on the new phones such as the Bold and curve 8900 are a little weak comapred to the competition. I feel like the old curve and 8800 screens are more sturdy than the new ones, maybe because the actualy screen on the new ones are closer to the glass, nevertheless I know for a fact that an iphone per say would never have a cracked screen due to "tight jeans." I have to agree with the OP on this one, as much as we love blackberries there is room for improvement especially in this area. I don't care how tight your jeans are they shouldnt crack a cell phone this day in age. They also need to address the issue that the screen scratches way to easily.
    02-16-09 02:36 PM
    I noted very quickly that the pouch seemed a bit tight. Thusly ot was depressing buttons and draining the battery. So I never used it. Sux that your screen broke but, yeah, it's the first I or any of us have heard of a screen breaking due to such circumstances. I've dropped mine a couple times and it is fine. I think the build quality is fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 02:59 PM
    It seems like just a freak accident. It happens. Find an LCD and get it replaced. Just be careful from here on out. I haven't seen any other people complain of a cracked screen, could just be an isolated issue. Good heads up though!
    02-16-09 03:49 PM
    This thread is awesome. "tightshirts" thwarted by tight pants. There is no justice in the world.

now playing in my head....the Seinfeld where Kramer has pants so tight he can't sit down.
    02-16-09 04:06 PM
    Maybe the ugliest you've seen. Believe me, there's more.
    02-16-09 04:10 PM
    HAHAHAHAHA ... Good one NorthStar!
    02-16-09 04:16 PM
    Or the seinfeld where Kramer opts to take off his pants so he doesn't get them wrinkled.

02-16-09 04:20 PM
    Maybe the ugliest you've seen. Believe me, there's more.
    I don't think there's been many of these in the 8900 subforum. I couldn't even imagine the horrors on the other billion subforms on Crackberry though, haha.

I remember everyone getting tense on the ATT vs T-Mobile "who will release first" threads.

/off-topic
    02-16-09 04:45 PM
    So I keep my phone in my jeans all the time and in the past in the sleeve. I have the innocase II now.

I am sorry butthe screen wouldn't crack because of the leather holster that comes with it. Your jeans
    were just to tight. That is miss use or abuse and neither tmobil nor RIM should be obligated to replace it.
    Just order a replacement LCD and then if you don't want the device return or sell it and get something else.

02-16-09 04:50 PM
    I don't think there's been many of these in the 8900 subforum. I couldn't even imagine the horrors on the other billion subforms on Crackberry though, haha.

I remember everyone getting tense on the ATT vs T-Mobile "who will release first" threads.

/off-topic
    I get around. Dont limit myself to one forum.
    02-16-09 04:56 PM
    Sorry but what does you putting extra pressure on the screen have to do with RIM not properly testing/designing the device, if anything they put more effort, i.e. pushing back release dates and things of that nature. I'm sorry for your situation, and would be equally as up set, but you could have bought a case to clip to your belt, or something. Maybe you just got very unlucky, who knows. Best of luck in getting a replacement, or finding a device better suited.
    02-16-09 05:14 PM
    This thread is awesome. "tightshirts" thwarted by tight pants. There is no justice in the world.

now playing in my head....the Seinfeld where Kramer has pants so tight he can't sit down.
    Also Northstar, love the reference! huge Seinfeld fan haha
    02-16-09 05:15 PM
    dam that sucks..this is why i refrain from putitng my phone in my back pocket...i always have a fear of it cracking
    02-16-09 05:19 PM
    And that's why you get an extended issue warrenty

02-16-09 05:32 PM
    so after some time to cool off, i really inspected the **** out of this because i assure all of you that my pants are/were not tight (i'm a bigger guy and cannot stand tight jeans) so after some CSI investigating i've come to the conclusion that it was several things that added to the accident, however the main culprit was the leather pouch... after looking at the pouch there is a seam in the inside where the pieces of leather are sewn together and the crack on the screen starts EXACTLY where this seam sits on the screen when it's in the pouch. it would have to have been a lot of force to crack the screen (no one disagrees here!) so i think the phone rotated sideways while riding in the car, then when moving my leg the pressure of it around my leg and being almost directly on that seam put enough pressure on the screen to crack it.

so in a way the jeans did contribute to the accident, however i feel that it was the design of the pouch that is the biggest flaw in this equation. i'm still trying to locate a replacement screen and have picked up a google G1 until i can get my 8900 fixed and when i get it back i'm gonna use it without the pouch. you guys can think what you want about the situation... like i said in an earlier post i'm just trying to help others learn from my misfortune.
    03-12-09 05:52 PM
    dam that sucks..this is why i refrain from putitng my phone in my back pocket...i always have a fear of it cracking
    oh yeah... never in the back pocket, it was in my front right pocket- been using that pocket for cell phone only for about 10 year now... it feels so weird when that pocket is empty
    03-12-09 05:55 PM
    I am sorry butthe screen wouldn't crack because of the leather holster that comes with it. Your jeans were just to tight.
    how about a little of both? i've been using my front right pocket for my cell phone for 10 years now and this is my first problem and the first time i've ever used a case... hmmm

i also used to sell and fix them for 2 years so i'm aware of how fragile they are, and this isn't my first BB
    03-12-09 06:01 PM
    you could have bought a case to clip to your belt, or something.
    all i can think about is this...

03-12-09 06:03 PM
    so after some time to cool off, i really inspected the **** out of this because i assure all of you that my pants are/were not tight (i'm a bigger guy and cannot stand tight jeans) so after some CSI investigating i've come to the conclusion that it was several things that added to the accident, however the main culprit was the leather pouch... after looking at the pouch there is a seam in the inside where the pieces of leather are sewn together and the crack on the screen starts EXACTLY where this seam sits on the screen when it's in the pouch. it would have to have been a lot of force to crack the screen (no one disagrees here!) so i think the phone rotated sideways while riding in the car, then when moving my leg the pressure of it around my leg and being almost directly on that seam put enough pressure on the screen to crack it.

so in a way the jeans did contribute to the accident, however i feel that it was the design of the pouch that is the biggest flaw in this equation. i'm still trying to locate a replacement screen and have picked up a google G1 until i can get my 8900 fixed and when i get it back i'm gonna use it without the pouch. you guys can think what you want about the situation... like i said in an earlier post i'm just trying to help others learn from my misfortune.
    Although many people may agree the OEM leather sleeve has some design flaws (regarding tightness and battery life), I doubt that the seam is one of them. The seam must have caused it, as it protrudes from the rest of the case, it became your "pressure point". Sorry to hear what happened to your BB, but I guess your lesson was learned.
    03-12-09 07:10 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD