So I'm going to breakfast with my grandparents this morning with my phone in it's little leather pouch and in my pocket, so I go to get out of the car and hear this loud cracking sound... at first I thought I did something to the seat or something but when I got inside the resturant and went to check my phone, yep... it's all white and got a crack in it. this is my 5th BB and i've never had a problem with any of them. so i called tmobile about it and they won't cover it because "it's not a known issue" and i asked how they knew what the known issues were if it has only been out for a week... supposedly they do testing. needless to say they want about 220 dollars to fix it (because i'm not willing to pay extra for insurance to turn around and pay a deductible to get it fixed) on top of the $300 i already paid after extending my contract for 2 more years.

i'm very disappointed, and idk if i will buy another RIM product after this
    02-16-09 01:27 PM
    I doubt the phone will just crack on its own. Are you sure you didn't have anything else in your pocket that may have caused this?

Regardless, I feel you buddy. $220 is almost the price of the phone, you would be better off getting a new phone.
    02-16-09 01:30 PM
    You can't expect tmobile to pay for an accident that was caused by you. I understand that you must be extremely frustrated but I'm sure it took a lot more than a little force to crack this screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 01:35 PM
    02-16-09 01:36 PM
    I doubt the phone will just crack on its own. Are you sure you didn't have anything else in your pocket that may have caused this?

Regardless, I feel you buddy. $220 is almost the price of the phone, you would be better off getting a new phone.
    oh yeah! nothing else in my pocket! i've babied this phone since i got it... i actually think it was from the leather pouch. where the pouch meets the screen is where the crack started so i think there was extra pressure on that spot. i've been reading some bad things about it draining the battery life and what not, and this is the first bb that i've used a pouch with. i figured it would help protect, i guess not
    02-16-09 01:37 PM
    Screens don't "crack" all by themselves. Pressure was applied to it at some point, whether you know recall or not. Sorry about your broken 8900, but this isn't RIM's or TMO's fault. So, don't try and pass the blame. Again, screens just don't "crack" by themselves man.
    02-16-09 01:37 PM
    That stinks. You should add the insurance and pay the the 110 deductible then cancel the insurance. It'll be a little cheaper
    02-16-09 01:38 PM
    What cracked the screen was probably how tight your pocket was when getting out. Do a test: Stand up, put your hand in your pocket. Sit down, try to put your hand in your pocket. Now once you do, start to get out of the car and notice how much added pressure is put on your hand and wrist from the tightness of the pocket that is created by your body movement stretching the fabric even further apart. That's what cracked it (or maybe you bumped into the door/door jam). In any case, don't keep any bulk in your pocket anymore that's delicate...except for..well..yeah.
    02-16-09 01:42 PM
    Screens don't "crack" all by themselves. Pressure was applied to it at some point, whether you know recall or not. Sorry about your broken 8900, but this isn't RIM's or TMO's fault. So, don't try and pass the blame. Again, screens just don't "crack" by themselves man.
    i understand this, but it's funny how my previous 4 bb didn't have this problem, and how the **** does this happen while in the leather pouch? it happens because it's a bad product... i've beat the **** out of my other ones and they all were fine, and this ones gets taken out while in my pocket? bad quality product to me. also i worked at a cell phone place for 4 years so i know a little bit about phones.
    02-16-09 01:44 PM
    Check out *link* this post for replacing the LCD[/URL].

thanks! i'll see what i can get
    02-16-09 01:49 PM
    T-mobile and RIM are not to blame. The 8900 is a very solid device in build. This is why you don't put your phone in your pocket, and if you do make sure it is a pocket that is huge. I am sure if it were a bad quality device, and the screens were too fragile more people would be having the same exact issue.
    02-16-09 01:49 PM
    What cracked the screen was probably how tight your pocket was when getting out. Do a test: Stand up, put your hand in your pocket. Sit down, try to put your hand in your pocket. Now once you do, start to get out of the car and notice how much added pressure is put on your hand and wrist from the tightness of the pocket that is created by your body movement stretching the fabric even further apart. That's what cracked it (or maybe you bumped into the door/door jam). In any case, don't keep any bulk in your pocket anymore that's delicate...except for..well..yeah.
    i understand the physics, so why didn't my curve 8320 break too? i didn't jump out, i didn't hit anything, i didn't have anything else in my pocket. the ONLY thing that was different from the other bb is the leather pouch
    02-16-09 01:51 PM
    i understand this, but it's funny how my previous 4 bb didn't have this problem, and how the **** does this happen while in the leather pouch? it happens because it's a bad product... i've beat the **** out of my other ones and they all were fine, and this ones gets taken out while in my pocket? bad quality product to me. also i worked at a cell phone place for 4 years so i know a little bit about phones.
    It's well known around these forums that the screen on the 8900 is the actual LCD...no plastic or glass covering (to allow it to be so slim). The other Curves etc have the extra plastic shield over the LCD, so you can beat it up more. Again, the crack was caused from the pressure of your pocket when getting out. When you lean forward to exit a car, your pocket stretches tighter and adds pressure. Mix that with a phone that has only the LCD screen and an added bulk of the leather case, and you've got problems.

Sorry to say, probably wouldn't have happened without the leather case.
    To the OP: were you wearing extra tight pants that somehow made the phone bend while you were getting out of your car. This happened to my nephew recently with his old KRZR. He was getting out of the car and since his pants were tight the phone kind of bent in his pocket and the screen cracked.

But I thought BB's weren't made so fragile...
    T-mobile and RIM are not to blame. The 8900 is a very solid device in build. This is why you don't put your phone in your pocket, and if you do make sure it is a pocket that is huge. I am sure if it were a bad quality device, and the screens were too fragile more people would be having the same exact issue.
    if i don't put it in my pocket where is it supposed to go? why hasn't any other phone done this while in my pocket?
    02-16-09 01:52 PM
    i understand the physics, so why didn't my curve 8320 break too? i didn't jump out, i didn't hit anything, i didn't have anything else in my pocket. the ONLY thing that was different from the other bb is the leather pouch
    Wrong, the previous Curves had the extra plastic cover going over the LCD. The 8900 has only the LCD.
    02-16-09 01:52 PM
    if i don't put it in my pocket where is it supposed to go? why hasn't any other phone done this while in my pocket?
    Are you even reading my replies?
    02-16-09 01:53 PM
    To the OP: were you wearing extra tight pants that somehow made the phone bend while you were getting out of your car. This happened to my nephew recently with his old KRZR. He was getting out of the car and since his pants were tight the phone kind of bent in his pocket and the screen cracked.

But I thought BB's weren't made so fragile...
    well i'm no emo kid, and f everyone's info i can put my hand in my pocket while sitting down without leaning up

that's what i'm saying about the fragile thing, this new one sucks compared to the others i've had! i was so impressed by bb durability i swore by them and got all of my friends to get 8320s
    Im sorry to hear that...

Pressure is defined as force over a defined area (P=F/A)

When you put your phone into its leather pouch, and insert it into your pocket, you're decasing the area, or the slack, within your jean pocket. By doing so the area of space is decreasing therefore pressure increases.
    well i'm no emo kid, and f everyone's info i can put my hand in my pocket while sitting down without leaning up
    Yeah, accusing a kid of being emo because his pants were tight (just like jean pockets are) and saying to F everybody's info...that'll get you far here.

Sorry about your phone, but don't take the frustration out on those trying to explain how and why this happened.
    02-16-09 01:55 PM
    either way i agree that that shouldnt happen, i would be equally pissed. Id try to make your case to another tmobile rep, each rep is different and I think if you talk to enough of them you can win your case.
    02-16-09 01:55 PM
    either way i agree that that shouldnt happen, i would be equally pissed. Id try to make your case to another tmobile rep, each rep is different and I think if you talk to enough of them you can win your case.
    I second this. There wasn't much RIM could have done while trying to keep the device as slim as possible, but if you plead your case to T-Mobile numerous times, even get corporate involved on the phone, I'm sure you can get it replaced.
    02-16-09 01:59 PM
    Yeah, accusing a kid of being emo because his pants were tight (just like jean pockets are) and saying to F everybody's info...that'll get you far here.

Sorry about your phone, but don't take the frustration out on those trying to explain how and why this happened.
    I wasn't accusing anybody of being emo, i'm saying that no my pants aren't tight (my shirts are) and no, i missed your reply about the no cover on the lcd, i can't reply fast enough to everyone, and i tryed to say for everyone info... yeah the other way does sound bad so i guess this is a lesson for everyone that the leather pouch + pants pocket = bad idea

ps, thanks for trying to help
    Last edited by tightshirts; 02-16-09 at 02:03 PM.
    02-16-09 02:00 PM
    Are you even reading my replies?
    Doesnt seem like it since he keeps asking the same question. Sounds like denial to me- too busy blaming RIM & TMo. They didnt make him wear them tight jeans!!
    02-16-09 02:01 PM

I agree with this. That comment was totally uncalled for. I mean, really, we don't have to help you out but are taking time out of our day to help you because you have a problem and here at Crackberry like to take care of each other. Comments like tht isn't going to help you get help.
    02-16-09 02:02 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD