08-02-09 06:57 PM
32 12
tools
    I received the 8900 in the mail and it works really good in the house with UMA.
    I can catch a deep breath and wont have to switch to Verizon and pay for their expensive service.

THANK YOU T-MOBILE.

I feel really warm and fuzzy when I see the UMA signal....

I also ordered an additional router from T-Mobile and will be using it for a perfect UMA signal.

plus, i travel overseas a lot and the WIFI will be very useful.

i'm sooooo freakin happy....
    08-02-09 09:35 AM
    You're beating a dead horse. It doesn't matter what phone you have--you can't change the fact that T-mobile has the worst network in the United States. I just came back from a multi-city trip (Los Angeles, Boston, Connecticut, New York City, Washington DC, Dallas/Fort Worth) and everywhere I went I usually had only about 1-2 bars.
    Doesn't surprise me - T-Mobile have the worst coverage here in England too.
    08-02-09 12:25 PM
    I received the 8900 in the mail and it works really good in the house with UMA.
    I can catch a deep breath and wont have to switch to Verizon and pay for their expensive service.

THANK YOU T-MOBILE.

I feel really warm and fuzzy when I see the UMA signal....

I also ordered an additional router from T-Mobile and will be using it for a perfect UMA signal.

plus, i travel overseas a lot and the WIFI will be very useful.

i'm sooooo freakin happy....
    I'm glad its working for you. Tmobile has some of the best rates but service can be spotty sometimes but to me its totally worth it.
    08-02-09 12:31 PM
    i had the same problem. great service everywhere except inside my home. but thank goodness for UMA. it has saved me alot of headaches and trips to certain parts of the house where i get service
    Ditto.. I have both Verizon and TMO and i must say i have NO service with either my CDMA Verizon Tour or my GPRS 8900 but the UMA is the lifesaver on the 8900, that why ihave two berrys.

As you can see the UMA is the Best choice for In building no matter what the carrier.
    08-02-09 12:54 PM
    I had the same problem at work, no service and that 's bcs of the building where we are, Thank God for UMA, I am the only one that gets some decent service, no Verizon and definitely no AT&T. Other than at work I have very good service everywhere.
    08-02-09 06:36 PM
    I have been with T-mo for a few years now too, and I was on the brink of switching when .231 finally came out an improved one of my most aggravating issues: crappy UMA experience. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better. I am a big fan of UMA and took advantage of it when I was in Punta Cana: I did not incur any International Roaming charges when calling back to the US.

Even now, UMA is a mixed bag. In my home (with DSL and a Linksys router), I get frustrated at what should be the ultimate solution to poor signal strength from the nearest cell tower. In one of my two offices, the UMA experience is flawless (T1 line and an Apple Airport wireless basestation). In the office with broadband (not sure what type) plus a Linksys wireless router, I have trouble hanging on to the UMA signal and the handoff to EDGE (even with the box for allowing inter-point access handover checked "yes") just blows and the dropped calls drive me nuts.

My entire family is on Verizon and have no complaints as such.

T-mo customer services reps have treated me very well over the years with various issue (equip replacement, changing plans without extending the contract, etc.), so I kinda like staying. In addition, I am on contract with my new 8900 and the upcoming Onyx, (with 3G and UMA, possibly coming to T-mo USA) keep me from jumping ship at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

If you would take a look at the UMA setup link in my sig I think you'll find that UMA can work flawlessly if set up properly. It has worked perfectly for me for years now with not a single problem.

Try it and see.
    08-02-09 06:46 PM
    Doc,

What OS are you currently using on your 8900?
    jamdown2-using .231. I have had problems with all of them periodically dropping calls when cellular signal suddenly kicks off UMA while on a call when upstairs. Passing back and forth does not seem to do well either between wifi and cellular.
    Doc
    Just tested radio difference between 8900 and Shadow 2009. In area where Shadow is 2-3/4 bars 8900 is 1-2/5. Downstairs still weak with Shadow but always SOS with 8900. I hope a new OS will improve radio reception on the 8900.
    Last edited by Doctor A; 08-04-09 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Added more information.
    08-02-09 06:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD