first i must say that i've been with nextel forever. now i've got my first blackberry and love it. but, for years now i've had nothing but issues with service. it's been with my other nextel phones too. i can stand in one place and service goes in and out. can't keep service for my drive home and try to have a conversation. this was in the chicagoland area and now in the phoenix area.
    so i guess my question is, how good is the service for you guys? it's just getting annoying and now i'm thinking of getting the curve 8330 and switching to sprint. i love the ptt but just don't use it much anymore.
    i know this is the 8350i forums but for those that have had the 8330 how is it compared to this one? is there anything coming out soon that i should just stick it out with nextel for a bit longer for?
    i saw the tour but don't need world options. and the 8330 seems to be identical option wise. the only thing i would like to keep is the wifi (and camera), but if it's not an option elsewhere, o well.
    thanx for the input.
    07-23-09 12:03 PM
    I'm having the same problem with the 8350i. I've had sprint for a long time, and got this one that's Nextell. They don't use the same towers (i found that out after the fact) and I've had some pretty bad signals. My wife has sprint, and has one of their blackberrys, and gets a full signal while I'm right next to her with only one bar.
    07-23-09 04:53 PM
    what OS are you running?

Try resending service books and master radio reset.

As for the towers no help there. I had the reverse issue trying to use Sprint towers no signal Nextal full strength.
    07-23-09 04:55 PM
    i'm running os 4.6.1.204. but it's a issues i've had with the service ( i hate to put blame on anything), was since sprint and nextel merged. not saying it has anything to do with sprint. that just seems to be when service started becoming an issue to put a time frame on it. this was while i was in chicago. so i've just delt with it and upgraded phones. it just continued with each phone. now i'm in phoenix and hoped that going to a much better phone (the bb 8350i, my first bb) the service would improve, but it hasn't. wife has service issues with her nextel phone, not blackberry. so i know it's not the phones, but lack of towers.
    it's just too annoying now to continue with nextel, even though i feel like i'm leaving behind a child or something. since i've been with them since day one, but if i'm going to continue to pay the money i am, then i want to make a call on my way home, and spend less time trying to find service.
    so it sounds like i'm not the only one with this issue. that's just what i really wanted to know. so as i asked before, again i know this is the 8350i forum, how is the 8330 for sprint compared to this bb?
    thanx again guys.
    07-23-09 09:42 PM
    Sanity: Sorry to hear that you are having coverage issues. As with any carrier, it depends on your needs and location to see if the BB suits you. I live in the Detroit area and both Nextel and Sprint have stellar service. My wife has the 8330 and loves it. I prefer the 8350i. Sounds like you may be happier trying the Sprint side with the 8330. You will also notice the data speed with Sprint is faster, which will help compensate for no wifi. Sounds like you have a lot of Nextel loyalty (Awesome!) but the coverage may be lacking in your area. If you know anyone else with Nextel where you are, see if they have the same issues, maybe it's your BB. Either way, good luck! chesterhound

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 10:57 PM
    Sanity: Sorry to hear that you are having coverage issues. As with any carrier, it depends on your needs and location to see if the BB suits you. I live in the Detroit area and both Nextel and Sprint have stellar service. My wife has the 8330 and loves it. I prefer the 8350i. Sounds like you may be happier trying the Sprint side with the 8330. You will also notice the data speed with Sprint is faster, which will help compensate for no wifi. Sounds like you have a lot of Nextel loyalty (Awesome!) but the coverage may be lacking in your area. If you know anyone else with Nextel where you are, see if they have the same issues, maybe it's your BB. Either way, good luck! chesterhound
    thanx man. yes i do love nextel. like i said before, been with them since day 1. would hate to leave, but i got to try out the sprint guys. i'm going to switch the wife over first to see if it works better before buying me an expensive phone.

others that i do know here do have issues. not sure how bad or not as they are her co-workers. but they all say the have problems with coverage. i hear sprint is good here so, why not try. my dad back in chicago says he has good days and some bad. but nothing from what i got.
    i do like the 8350i but the 8330 has similar features. no wifi sucks but o'well if the sprint speeds make up for it. how is the 4.5 os to our 4.6?
    07-23-09 11:23 PM
    Sanity: 4.5 is comparable and I think it will do the job. WiFi is nice, but the phone is also important. So if you aren't getting satisfactory coverage, give Sprint a try. I think you will like the 8330. It's a Curve, just like your Nextel, but it is actually slimmer. Plus, right now, you can probably get it free, or very cheap depeneding on your contract situation. Good luck with Sprint and remember, you are always welcome back if you miss the "chirp"! chesterhound

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 09:22 AM
    thanx for the input.
    07-24-09 11:59 AM
    You could try a Bi-directional amp Wilson has a line of them however I have an iden amp in my car its somewhat old and is the Iden frequeicies that existed prior to the "rebanding". It works great when my phone is on a frequency that the amp covers however when my phone migrates to a 900 Mhz. frequency not covered by the amp I am out of luck. I have spoken to Wilson and they state that they do not yet have an amp that covers the iden frequencies but will eventually have one. They do not seem to be in any great hurry probably as they do not expect a high demand. If everyone on here that was interested expressed that interest perhaps they might move faster. It worked when we all E. Mailed Dan Hesse about the 8350i when it first came out. So here is a technical contact at Wilson let the e mails go:

Darren Jensen
    Technical Support
    Toll Free: 1.866.294.1660
    Local: 435.673.5021 x130
    Djensen@wilsonelectronics.com
    Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

3301 East Deseret Dr.
    St. George, Utah 84790
    08-04-09 07:26 AM
    Nextel service in my area is becoming unacceptable. My company is considering moving away from nextel and go with Verizon. The one thing is the direct connect but the reason why phone calls end in the field is because we get disconnected. I have a crew in a town today and the foreman has no signal at all. I have been calling him on his personal phone (he is with verizon). It has been getting worse as the years move on. The direct connect is great for business but if you can't carry on a phone call whats the point.
    08-04-09 09:40 AM
    Write your complaint to:

Daniel.R.Hesse@sprint.com

Dan.Hesse@sprint.com

Someone for the Executive office will call you and have your concerns investigated. I had a problem like that in ny and I sent an email to him. It was resolved it was a faulty piece of equipment in that case.
    08-04-09 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD