06-22-10 06:07 PM
197 12345 ...
tools
    I currently own iPhone 3g 8GB. and since i ordered 8900 from Tmobile, i need to sell either one.

i like the web-browser and applications on iPhone, especially 3d games to kill times. But besides that touchscreen can be annoying, when driving.

I haven't got 8900 yet, but formal addict of blackberry pearl, it delivered good messaging and cracked out brickbreaker.

im in the dilemma of which phone to get rid of.

anyways, can you guys convince why 8900 is better than iphone 3g?

I'm in the same boat. I have both phones right now. I LOVE the 8900! But I also LOVE my Iphone 3g now after I jailbroke it.

I'm stuck and can't figure out, which one to sell. I was thinking of keeping th eIphone if I can unlock it and use it on Tmobile, but it's not doable right now because the unlock isn't out for my firmware yet.
    03-11-09 12:36 PM
    Oh. Here's a primary iphone-killing function.
    YOU CAN RUN MULTIPLE APPS AND COPY AND PASTE BETWEEN THEM!!!!!

I run Gmail, Twitter, YIM, and can toggle between them using the left conveniency key to trigger the app switcher.
    03-11-09 12:39 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I have both phones right now. I LOVE the 8900! But I also LOVE my Iphone 3g now after I jailbroke it.

I'm stuck and can't figure out, which one to sell. I was thinking of keeping th eIphone if I can unlock it and use it on Tmobile, but it's not doable right now because the unlock isn't out for my firmware yet.
    I'm trying my best not to unleash a torrent of Haterade-flavored bile from my blackened heart, but if you had to choose, I'd just disable the cell service on the iphone permanently and keep it as a media player. I haven't really tried the media capabilities on the palm yet (i'll be testing it plenty after I transcode some tv shows to watch on it) but it's worth keeping the phone/touch just for playback and wifi.

but... you don't need to unlock the berry just to get useful functionality.
    Come to the Dark Side! We have a usable keyboard.

03-11-09 12:50 PM
    The 8900 isn't an apple. Good enough for me.

Lets see -

Real Keyboards will kick any Touchscreen Keyboard
    BB can multi task - Iphone can't.
    BB doesn't NEED the data plan to operate.

Touchscreen keyboard / no multi-tasking are the exact reasons I got rid of my Behold for an 8900. I bet the same might apply in your scenario.
    03-11-09 12:57 PM
    I'm trying my best not to unleash a torrent of Haterade-flavored bile from my blackened heart, but if you had to choose, I'd just disable the cell service on the iphone permanently and keep it as a media player. I haven't really tried the media capabilities on the palm yet (i'll be testing it plenty after I transcode some tv shows to watch on it) but it's worth keeping the phone/touch just for playback and wifi.

but... you don't need to unlock the berry just to get useful functionality.
    Come to the Dark Side! We have a usable keyboard.

This might be a dumb question. I think the answer is yes. But, can I use my Iphone's WiFi without any cell service and doing anything else at all?

Can I use it for internet and email?
    03-11-09 01:07 PM
    Yes. You can use the WiFi without even having a SIM card in the phone. For the Browser you have to set the settings in the Browser from Internet to Hotspot. For email you will have to use either webmail or a 3rd party application.

Push mail will only work through UMA when you have BIS service and also have your T-mobile SIM in your phone - the same one that is linked to the account with BIS service.
    03-11-09 01:15 PM
    Of course. The Blackberry doesn't have THIS:
    Review: Oregon Trail iPhone Game Hands On
    03-11-09 03:43 PM
    Yes. You can use the WiFi without even having a SIM card in the phone. For the Browser you have to set the settings in the Browser from Internet to Hotspot. For email you will have to use either webmail or a 3rd party application.

Push mail will only work through UMA when you have BIS service and also have your T-mobile SIM in your phone - the same one that is linked to the account with BIS service.
    I meant if I could use my iPhone on wifi only. Hotspot is tmobile

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 05:44 PM
    Oh, I don't know about the iPhone. I don't those.
    03-11-09 06:13 PM
    The iphones browser and e-mail both work on wi-fi only without a sim-card. Sometimes I play with my iPhone 3g (cracked screen) around the house and surf the web.

Still love my bold more though.
    03-11-09 06:18 PM
    I have both and the only reason why i would choose iphone over 8900 is because of the Ipod and i kind of like the keyboard plus when its jailbroke so many things you can do but I AM A CRACKBERRY lol so I will always come back to my Blackberrys...
    03-12-09 12:00 AM
    Someone needs to make a phone that combines the BB 8900 Keyboard, email, text and the iPhone web browser, touchscreen and apps.
    03-16-09 11:26 AM
    in my opinion, the blackberry looks very much more "grown up" or "professional" than the iphone.
    03-16-09 11:27 AM
    My buddy came by Saturday night with his Iphone again and I'm sorry but, I got really friggen jealous of his new apps again this time. The BB just cannot compare. But I'll never buy an iPhone. He sold me with the VPN client, Free perfect RDP client thats better than RDP+, Wifi file access through a browser straight to his IPhone (transferred the U2 over for him in a heartbeat, I can't belive no one has made something like this for BB yet.), AND finally 2 Player AIR HOCKEY!!! OMG it was friggen amazingly cool playing a 2 player game, friggen competitive, lol. And, he showed me the perfect streaming (8900 sucks for streaming, you have to admit it) Sorry, I love my 8900, but my god the iPhone is so far ahead with apps. No comparison. I just cannot carry around such a heavy device. The iPhone is massive and heavy compared to an 8900. Anyhoo, I can't 'outwow' him, ever, with a BB. The BB is still an antique. Someday...maybe...
    03-16-09 11:54 AM
    In summer the new iPhones will have:

Cut and paste
    Landscape keyboard in all apps
    MMS
    Possible tethering
    Better camera
    Video?
    Notes sync
    DevCal Calendar subscriptions
    And a 2/3rds faster browser

I think I am going to bail folks..

After months with the 8900 the following still pisses me off about using it.

Browser is so slow - (I have to use Opera Mini, and using a non default browser is a real PITA) BB Browser Word wrap issue still unresolved when posting inside web text entry boxes (total killer for my business)
    Streaming and image apps are slow.. / disappointing
    Keys are just too small
    Number keys are IMPOSSIBLE to see in low light
    Backlighting is poor
    MP3's vary in pitch (speed) when phone is busy doing other things as well
    The Mac / 8900 sync experience has been a miserable one..

RIM let this phone down...IMHO

I will be typing on glass before the end of the summer..!
    04-06-09 03:30 PM
    1. The 8900 is not made by Apple
    2. The 8900 is made by RIM
    3. removable media card
    4. removable battery
    5. all the other things in the above posts
    04-06-09 03:37 PM
    6. Background processes
    7. Push everything
    8. Better speakers (louder/clearer)
    9. Messaging Juggernaut
    10. Rocket Blasters..

"The Mac / 8900 sync experience has been a miserable one." RIM is working on remedying this...

P.S. iPhone = Excellent media device with mediocre telephony skills.

(i own an iphone BTW)
    Last edited by PhxBlue; 04-06-09 at 03:53 PM.
    04-06-09 03:49 PM
    A iphone has to be jailbroken for it to compete with other phones. Leaving it locked to att makes it a okay phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 03:50 PM
    Here we go again....

Browser is so slow - (I have to use Opera Mini, and using a non default browser is a real PITA) I don't agree, its not that slow. Opera and Bolt are truly over rated in my opinion by the way. BB's internal browser doesn't suck that bad.

BB Browser Word wrap issue still unresolved when posting inside web text entry boxes (total killer for my business) This will never be resolved until the BB browser is overhauled in a big, BIG way. For RIM, its not a dealbreaker yet. They really don't care about this one, its obvious as it hasn't been offically addressed publicly by them as far as I know.

Streaming and image apps are slow.. Streaming on the 8900 is a steaming pile of giraffee poopie. Its horrible, laughable comapred to iPhone. It will not get better until 6.0. Guaranteed. We won't reach comparable iPhone multimedia viability for 3 years. Sorry folks.

Keys are just too small. Totally agree. I fudge way too often. And I have tiny girly finguhs. I'm ok with typos here and there, but I agree, the keys are totally micro small and a PITA at times yo.

Number keys are IMPOSSIBLE to see in low light, eh, doesn't bug me that much really.

Backlighting is poor. I dont get this. Backlight is fine for me.

MP3's vary in pitch (speed) when phone is busy doing other things as well. If yer multitasking the 8900 can't keep up, its 10x better than the 8100 though thats for sure. Everything is choppy if yer multitasking.

The Mac / 8900 sync experience has been a miserable one...MACs are for sissies, sorry, but they are. I know the greatest Flash designer on the planet, and he was a MAC sissie for years. Now he laughs at them and his house is filled with Dells.

RIM let this phone down... Its a great phone and RIMs greatest work yet, but yeah, it has no wow factor at all to be honest. Its basic, it works. Its not marketed as a toy like the iPhone. Its still an antique as I've said before. Its not a leap or technological work of art at all. Its cheaply made and fragile as F. But, I like it and lots of other people do.

I will be typing on glass before the end of the summer....touch screen typing sucks in my opinion. Have fun.
    04-06-09 03:52 PM
    Put a lil hard work into post did ya Lazerus..
    04-06-09 04:29 PM
    I'm intrigued by the iPhone VS 8900 topic, yes.

Apple products aren't for me though. I'm jealous for what they can do. The apps are unbeatable by RIM so far.

But, I will never buy one. Not sure why really. Maybe I'm on crack.
    04-06-09 04:32 PM
    Enjoy your iPhone ... see you again in 6 months.
    04-06-09 04:41 PM
    I have both an iphone 3g and 8900. I type really quickly on iphone using just my right thumb and can operate it quite easily in one hand. That being said, I feel a lot more confident carrying the bb around, knowing email and texts come thru immediately. I use both devices but realize I should probably save money and get an ipod Touch since I rarely use the iphone for calls anymore. Hate to say it, but I'm a bit bored with the iphone.
    04-06-09 05:28 PM
    Keep it simple.

I can change my battery.

I can swap SD memory cards.

I have a keyboard.

That's just the obvious.
    04-06-09 06:03 PM
    I have been using the iPhone 2G and more recently the iPhone 3G for the past year or so. But, seriously, the thing that gets me the MOST is that even with PUSH enabled, and my MobileMe account hooked up, I still don't get emails as fast as I do with my 8900 and my MobileMe account hooked up.

SMS and EMAIL and Facebook are all pushed. I can't believe it. I can't be more happy than that.
    04-06-09 07:30 PM
197 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD