I currently have the Curve 8900, but I'm thinking of getting the Bold 9000 from a friend of mine and using that one instead. I like that the Bold has 3G and a faster processor, and as far as I know they both have been updated with the same OS 4.6? Anyways, I've really been wanting to upgrade to the 9700, but for now I can't afford to - so this is kind of the mid-transition move, lol.

Just kinda looking for feedback from users who might have used both the 8900 and the 9000 and what your actual preferences were. I've read a lot of specification comparisons, but I wanted some actual user reviews of comparing the two in hand. Thanks in advance!
    05-25-10 02:48 PM
    My cousin has the Bold 9000 and his Brother has the Curve 8900.

When I've decided to buy myself a BB, they both recommended buying the 8900 because they said that it doesn't get stuck as much as the Bold does.

Camera resolution was important for me. 3.2 MP for the 8900 and 2.0 for the Bold 9000. That was an extra motivation to get the 8900

Regarding the 3G, I didn't care if it hasn't got it coz I won't be using it here ( in Bahrain )

By the way, a curve 8900 with OS 5.0.0.509 is the BlackBerry to own
    05-25-10 03:20 PM
    Awesome, I may just stick with my 8900 until I can afford to get the 9700. I really want to upgrade to that 5.0 OS, but I have no idea how to do it. I don't have a PC, I have a Mac, and last time I tried to load the Desktop Manager or whatever to sync my 8900, it said no operating system detected and my BlackBerry seemed to have gotten wiped. I had to unplug it and try to reboot it. Is there an "easy" way for non-techies to upgrade to the 5.0 OS? lol
    05-25-10 03:46 PM
    hehe . . . It is not that hard !

It is pretty easy. You can use your friend's PC if he has one and follow this 8-step procedure ( Attached )

PS: CrackMem is a user friendly program which allows you to Upgrade your BB without any problems afterwards ( also Attached )

Attachment 63022

Attachment 63024
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 05-25-10 at 05:15 PM. Reason: had a spelling mistake :p
    05-25-10 04:32 PM
    I had the same thoughts like you!
    I still prefer the 9000 formfactor!

But why don't you safe a little bit more money and gonna wait for a new BB, that runs on 6.0?
    I'm mean, you gonna spend money for a phone that surely won't support the new OS and 6.0 is in sight...

I'm sure there will be a next 9000 (formfactor phone) and better one, than the 9700!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Slash82; 05-25-10 at 04:54 PM.
    05-25-10 04:52 PM
    You're right .. I do wanna hold out for the OS 6 .. My contract is up in one year, so maybe I will wait it out and see what BlackBerry is out at that time. I'm not a huge fan of sliders, so I wasn't too excited about the new Bold coming out. I wouldn't buy it just for the OS. I liked the 9700 because it's pretty much like the 8900 on steroids, lol. And I've *heard* that it will get the 6.0 update ... but of course, you can never go by what you hear.
    05-25-10 06:17 PM
    Oh, and thanks for the links, Ahmed!! .. I'm definitely going to give it a try when I get access to a PC.
    05-25-10 06:17 PM
    Oh, and thanks for the links, Ahmed!! .. I'm definitely going to give it a try when I get access to a PC.
    Anytime
    05-25-10 06:22 PM
    Ahmed, question ... I'm in the process of trying to do the upgrade. I got to step 5 where it says open CrackMem and select OS installed earlier ... How do I select the OS? When I open CrackMem it says no OS selected and there's no option for me to select one. The only thing I can click is "confirm operating system selection" ...
    05-27-10 09:04 PM
    Nevermind, I figured it out! lol .. And now I feel like an ***** for not doing what I just did sooner.
    05-27-10 09:18 PM
    Mine keeps hanging, any suggestions
    05-28-10 07:20 AM
    I got the 5.0.0.509 OS installed, and I actually didn't end up using the CrackMem application after all. Whenever I got it going, after typing in "BrickMe", it would begin and then tell me that I needed to add something to load onto the phone - or something to that effect. But I didn't know what to "add", and it wouldn't go further than that.

What I did though, is I went to the OS file on my computer (My Computer>Local Disk C>Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>Application) and I clicked on the "Application Loader" that was within that file. That loaded the OS on my BlackBerry without any problems - it even did a backup before loading and then restored everything.

When it was all said and done, I must say I LOOOVE this OS!! Soo much smoother, and it seemed to have cleared up A LOT of memory on my phone. It's the little things that make the big difference. My favorite being the threaded/chat-like sms texting
    05-28-10 01:32 PM
    I got the 5.0.0.509 OS installed, and I actually didn't end up using the CrackMem application after all. Whenever I got it going, after typing in "BrickMe", it would begin and then tell me that I needed to add something to load onto the phone - or something to that effect. But I didn't know what to "add", and it wouldn't go further than that.

What I did though, is I went to the OS file on my computer (My Computer>Local Disk C>Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>Application) and I clicked on the "Application Loader" that was within that file. That loaded the OS on my BlackBerry without any problems - it even did a backup before loading and then restored everything.

When it was all said and done, I must say I LOOOVE this OS!! Soo much smoother, and it seemed to have cleared up A LOT of memory on my phone. It's the little things that make the big difference. My favorite being the threaded/chat-like sms texting
    Good for you Man

Regarding the CrackMem issue you had, I think that you did not install the OS 5 so that's why it wasn't showing. Anyway, Glad it Worked
    05-28-10 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD