Currently my son uses a Palm Centro on Sprint. He is unable to receive photos because he does not have data, only voice and texts (he is a child and I don't want to give him unfiltered Internet access at this point, and I don't want to pay for it because it is unnecessary).

I am thinking about upgrading him to a used 8530 that I have found for a nominal price. My question is: if I simply swap out the phone, will he be able to get pictures via MMS without using the "Picturemail Link", which he cannot do without data? There is no point in changing phones if he will still lack that functionality, but I have no way to test it myself. I use a Tour with full data.

Thanks for responses from those who know the answer.

KLM
    06-29-10 08:54 PM
    In order to get BlackBerry phones from Sprint, you need a data plan. You can ask them if they can "block" the data service on the particular phone so your son won't be able to access the internet on his phone.
    06-29-10 11:15 PM
    You can go online onto your Sprint account and block certain things and services on any phone in your plan. That what we do with out Kids cell phone, and we go through sprint
    06-30-10 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD