We got two 8900's, set them both up the same. We both downloaded google applications (gmail and maps) and one phone connects just fine while the other phone displays this message, "This program requires a working data connection. Please check your signal strength and connection settings, and then restart the application"... it says this even though the phone is connected to our home wifi connection just like the other phone that is working.

Earlier this same phone was stuck on GSM and not connecting to the t-mobile network. We called t-mobile blackberry, and they had us do a hard reset... which made has the phone working on t-mobile again.

We do not have a data plan, and are just relying on wifi for now... any suggestions as to why this phone will not connect with google apps when the other phone works just fine? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by DT44; 03-22-09 at 09:03 PM.
    03-22-09 01:54 PM
    Also forgot to mention this; our sim cards are several years old......does anyone think that getting a new sim card could possibly fix this problem?
    03-22-09 03:37 PM
    Okay, we went into T-Mobile and they set us up with technical support lady via webcam and she said we shouldnt be able to use internet, google apps etc and that we were getting the 24.99 service for free basically....and that we shouldn't be able to use wifi because we don't have the data plan and that wifi only helps to accelerate your internet speeds.

She also said a setting was incorrect that was blocking the apps from working on the other phone.

Not too sure if she is correct about the wifi thing but we will see. It seems like we should be able to use internet and certain apps through wifi with out having the data plan.

She said it should take about 24 hours for the settings to kick in. So far our wireless is still working but the apps are still not connecting on my wife's phone.
    03-22-09 08:39 PM
    Well the phone is still not connecting with the apps.

Does anyone have any inputs/suggestions about this?
    03-24-09 12:38 AM
    Anyone????
    03-25-09 12:09 AM
    Apps are designed to use a data plan on the phones, you shouldnt expect them to work with out a data plan. Some people get lucky and they work. Most of the time they dont work with out a data plan.
    03-25-09 12:28 AM
    what settings did she have you change?
    03-25-09 12:44 AM
    Didnt change any settings on our phones. She changed something on the computer with our account but only for the phone number that isnt working. She said something was reversed for that phone number.

For some reason the phone that is working works even without wifi.....google maps works and so does gmail....and internet doesnt.....so maybe that phone is getting data and shouldnt.

I am gonna call them tomorrow and make sure we aren't getting any extra charges for it. I would rather them cut it off (even if i'm getting lucky by having it work) than get charges we shouldn't.
    Last edited by DT44; 03-25-09 at 01:59 AM.
    03-25-09 01:54 AM
    Latest and greatest:

I called T-mobile and they said I have no charges and cant be charged for the data I am receiving. They don't know how I am getting it and said they have no way of blocking it right now.(maybe in the future when I do an update haha)

So I tried switching the sim cards between the 2 phones and the only phone that worked was the one with my sim card. So basically the gmail app and google maps app works with my sim card in either phone with wifi turned off.

So Dabbill you are 100% correct!

It seems to be something with either my sim card or my account that is allowing me to have this service and not the phone itself or even service books.
    03-25-09 07:40 PM
    I would see the difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 08:23 PM
    I would see the difference.
    Both of our phone numbers are on the same account and they said that they do not see any difference between our numbers. Really weird. They said that all of the settings and everything are the same.
    03-25-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD