Hi - Can anyone enlighten me ? I have just purchased the 8900 on O2 (via Carphone Warehouse in the UK). The OS with the phone is .101 (Platform 4.2.0.72). The BB sync programme with my computer automatically searches for updates every time I sync - so far it has not downloaded any update.

However, I have read repeatedly about an updated OS which many users seem to be using. I dont know if this update is specific to non-UK users, but my question is:

Should i consider updating manually even though the desktop manager software has not done so itself ? If I do this, what would be the benefit and is there any detriment to my files etc (i.e. would I lose anything on the phone or media card ?). Lastly why would the desktop manager not have selected to download this update to the OS of its own accord ?

Many thanks in advance for your help on this. Please also see my reply on the Battery Life thread - there is definitely a problem with the pouch supplied with the phone in the UK. We need to get RIM to acknowledge and rectify this if possible !
    01-23-09 07:55 AM
    I'd read the sticky thread at the top of the 8900 forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/la...nguage-132347/
    01-23-09 08:03 AM
    I dont think my desktop manager has ever prompted me to upgrade the OS on its own. You should just do it manually when a new OS comes out.
    01-23-09 08:46 AM
    Thanks for your advice. I just read through the 14 pages of the thread on OS upgrading that Fatboy suggested and I am now definitely not going to upgrade until RIM issues an official upgrade/fix through their or O2's website. It seems inherently too risky or fraught with potential issues, let alone the large chunks of the day it devours !
    01-23-09 09:10 AM
    Thanks for your advice. I just read through the 14 pages of the thread on OS upgrading that Fatboy suggested and I am now definitely not going to upgrade until RIM issues an official upgrade/fix through their or O2's website. It seems inherently too risky or fraught with potential issues, let alone the large chunks of the day it devours !
    Once you know the upgrade process it does not take long. Less than 20 minutes and you will be upgraded. If you encounter problems with an OS then you can just downgrade back to the OS that your phone came with. Its not a big deal at all. I have a link in my signature for the procedure, just take your time and follow all the steps and you should be just fine.
    01-23-09 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD