Just got the 8900 today! I was looking forward to getting home from work to play with it, but Mrs You Look Adopted had arranged a babysitter so we could go to the movies. I said "well I wanted to stay in and set up my new gadget", but the look I got suggested I better put it back in the box and play later. Anyway, I digress, my question is: should I fully charge and then let run down? Or use it out of the box and let run down? Is conditioning of the battery necessary? Can't seem to find any documentation on this...

Thanks
    02-13-09 11:26 PM
    The battery is a Lithium Ion battery, it does not suffer from memory like the NiMH batteries do. You do not need to condition it like you do with the NiMH batteries.
    02-13-09 11:38 PM
    The battery is a Lithium Ion battery, it does not suffer from memory like the NiMH batteries do. You do not need to condition it like you do with the NiMH batteries.
    Memory Effect or the more accurate term, Voltage Depression, primarily affects NiCad batteries and not NiMH or Li-Ion versions.
    02-14-09 12:38 AM
    The recomendation for out of the box is to fully charge the battery, so going out with the Mrs. and leaving it home to charge was probably a good way to go. After my initial charge, I plug it in every night and take off with it every morning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 12:45 AM
    Memory Effect or the more accurate term, Voltage Depression, primarily affects NiCad batteries and not NiMH or Li-Ion versions.
    Sheeesh ... you're right, doh! For some reason I keep typing NiMH when I'm thinking NiCad. Total brain fart! Please accept my apologies on that everyone. With that said, in either case, the Lithium Ion batteries are not effected and that is what is in your Blackberry.
    02-14-09 01:05 AM
    BBs gotta have the juice. If you run that battery down, the LED flashes when you plug it in, that's your BB giving you the finger for daring to. Do such a thing. Bad owner! No free apps! Lol!

02-14-09 01:16 AM
    Lithium Ion batteries do not suffer from the so-called memory effect. From new they should be fully charged, preferably overnight, and then used normally.

Typically these batteries will absorb 1000 charge/discharge cycles before their performance falls to below 50%.

The Battery University has this to say on the use and abuse of this technology The high-power lithium-ion

Given that you will probably keep your phone for around 2 years, you will be very unlucky if you have to buy a new one before you part with your phone.
    02-14-09 03:11 AM
    Bergerking- you had me cracking up. Don't know why but that's funny to me at least

You Look Adopted- I've informed the Mr. That when my phone comes its getting my undivided attention . So he can have his playstation play time .

02-14-09 04:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD