Does anyone know if this is going to make it for CDMA any time soon or should i just go buy a storm and shut up bout it?
    12-12-08 05:17 PM
    My totally unsupported guess is ~6 months wait.
    12-12-08 05:27 PM
    I say get the storm, but if u can wait wait.
    12-12-08 05:46 PM
    Unless you really don't like a touch screen I'd get the Storm... after all it is a Blackberry!!!
    12-12-08 06:39 PM
    Depends on how long you want to wait....... If yo can hold out till late summer than wait. thats when you will prob see it start going to CDMA
    12-12-08 07:01 PM
    Get the storm...
    It is a great phone...
    It is a learning curve to use the storm...
    But OMG!!!!
    I had an iphone for a while...
    Did not like it... Then got a voyager... Which I thought was better than the iphone...
    Got the storm... I am hook line and sinkered on this phone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 07:06 PM
    It's going to be a while. Mid to late next year.
    12-12-08 08:37 PM
    Also ask yourself what's more important to you 3g or Wifi?
    12-12-08 10:35 PM
    With verizon the need for wifi is VERY LIMITED.
    I have yet to need wifi since coming to verizon.

12-12-08 10:48 PM
    With verizon the need for wifi is VERY LIMITED.
    I have yet to need wifi since coming to verizon.

if a data plan was nt required and BBs came with wifi, u'll see the need for it skyrocket!
    12-12-08 10:54 PM
    But it is required so you don't need wifi
    When I had the iphone yeah you need wifi cuz it was slow and unreliable.
    That was the only time I used wifi...
    I think the storms browser is faster than the iphone EVERY TIME!

I wonder how many of these die hard " no wifi makes it a deal breaker" people have actually tried verizon?

12-12-08 11:34 PM
    It seems like Verizon takes forever to get stuff that comes out. Probably cause they have to re-write all the code and then test it out. I wouldn't hold your breath for this!
    12-12-08 11:39 PM
    It depends on your own preferences. I personally have had enough of touch screens, there are some very good things about it, but they're mainly the reason I am waiting for the Curve 8900, or E71 (mainly Curve). It a much more optimized interface. I have had the TyTN (same as the Tilt - but previous version). Great phone, great tool, but not optimal and a tad annoying. Especially the on screen keyboard, I use the new Touch Pro (ATT Fuze) one which is better than the I-Phone one for me at least, but still nowhere near where a real keyboard is. Luckily it has a sliding Qwerty, but when in a hurry I don't have the time for that. Thus it will be the 8900 for me most likely. I have had the Excalibur (T-Mo Dash) and it was a great phone for it's time. While WinMo - it dindnt employ touch, but was the standard non touch, and great with 6.1, had the sliding panels, etc... just a bit old and underpowered by now. So really best is to try it out and see if it works for you and return in a week if not. It as always is based on your own user preferences and abilities to get used to something ( may be good for someone but bad for someone else)
    12-12-08 11:56 PM
    If I had to choose one BB to upgrade to it would be a 3G version of the 8900. So yeah, I'm playing the waiting game to.
    12-13-08 01:01 AM
    But it is required so you don't need wifi
    When I had the iphone yeah you need wifi cuz it was slow and unreliable.
    That was the only time I used wifi...
    I think the storms browser is faster than the iphone EVERY TIME!

I wonder how many of these die hard " no wifi makes it a deal breaker" people have actually tried verizon?

Let's get something straight. Wifi is to say the very least much much faster than AT&T's 3G or Verizon's EVDO Rev A. Theres NO COMPARISON! It's not even close. So don't act like Rev A is the holy grail and better than Wifi. Now, not having Wifi isn't a deal breaker, but when people act like they don't need it or it wouldn't be nice, or Rev A is faster are FOS. Verizon will be offering a BlackBerry with Wifi in 2009.
    12-13-08 07:06 AM
    Let's get something straight. Wifi is to say the very least much much faster than AT&T's 3G or Verizon's EVDO Rev A. Theres NO COMPARISON! It's not even close. So don't act like Rev A is the holy grail and better than Wifi. Now, not having Wifi isn't a deal breaker, but when people act like they don't need it or it wouldn't be nice, or Rev A is faster are FOS. Verizon will be offering a BlackBerry with Wifi in 2009.
    Co-sign!!!
    12-13-08 01:02 PM
    This is true. When using wifi on my touch there's no comparison. How people can make claims that Rev A is faster is just plain nuts.

12-14-08 01:18 PM
    i don't think that anybody is really saying that it is faster, just not needed when on the go. Even just sitting at home wifi is obviously faster, just a little unnecessary.
    12-14-08 02:30 PM
    I have never made the claim that it is faster because I can't back it up with fact.
    I had the iphone when it first came out.
    To me the speeds seem comparable from what I remember.
    Yet the iphone service was unreliable. That is fact.
    As is that Verizon service is top notch as well as VZW CS.

The.thing with the iphone that I could not live with... Deal breaker for me was no MMS...

12-14-08 02:33 PM
    Get the storm...
    It is a great phone...
    It is a learning curve to use the storm...
    But OMG!!!!
    I had an iphone for a while...
    Did not like it... Then got a voyager... Which I thought was better than the iphone...
    Got the storm... I am hook line and sinkered on this phone...

got the storm....lovin it!
    12-14-08 03:33 PM
    Had the Storm, returned it.

Loved it when it worked. Will wait a year and revisit. Too many bugs. The touchscreen was awesome and easy to type on and the software design was amazing. It just didn't ALWAYS work the way it was supposed to.

And my big issue with it was something no one else seams to complain about... When the virtual keyboard is up, your usable screen drops down to around 3-4 lines of text...

Got a curve and lovin it. I wish I could have gotten the 8900 instead since the only major difference to me is speed. The processor and Rev-A make a HUGE difference!!! It just kills me to buy a model when I KNOW the newer/better model of the same phone is out and available (just not on my network - as usual)...

I think the 8900 will be out for Verizon by next X-mas and I think it will have Rev-A when it comes. Nothing to prove that, but my gut tells me things (especially after a big Mexican meal!!!).

And I have to admit that while I would always prefer WiFi, the Rev-A Storm was pretty damn fast on the web for my needs. Images in E-mails pulled up super fast and sites where live and going in a few seconds. WiFi would be better, but Rev-A was pretty damn good!

The one thing I have to admit is that after the Storm, I have new respect for Verizon's always getting phones WAY after everyone else... I would rather wait and let T-mobile, Rogers, ATT, etc. test the crap out of the thing so when I finally get it I know the thing will ALWAYS work the way it is supposed to...

I'm sure RIM and VZW will get it down in the next few months - and when they do that thing will be killer!!! But it's nice to know they are still working on producing some great improvements on their original design for those who want it (and there are a LOT of us).

-Matt
    12-14-08 08:21 PM
    The CDMA variant of the 89xx will not work on Rev A. It will be Rev 0. But there will be a device that works on Rev A with Wifi. The Storm isn't for everyone. Besides that, the 8900 is a great device, and in my honest opinion, it's pros far outweigh the pros of any other BlackBerry device on the market to date.

12-14-08 08:33 PM
    What is this Rev-A/WiFi BB VZW coming? Since Verizon isn't getting any more VZW only phones, I can only assume it is the 9000 series. And when will it arrive?

Do you promise???
    12-14-08 08:53 PM
    Just read about 2 new BB's in the works. And they are EXACTLY what I want!!!

hardware keyboard, touchscreen screen - hybrids of the Storm and Bold (Pluto) and Storm and Curve II (Magnum). Both with 3G and WiFi...

BlackBerry Magnum and Pluto - touch screen BlackBerry clarification at QuicklyBored

Let's see what comes out from RIM in the next year.

I think I'm glad I returned my Storm and got a nice reliable Curve to sit tight with until these new super-candies come out!!!
    12-14-08 09:19 PM
    while there will be no 3g only edge on 8900, its browsing speed will be as fast as bold and def faster than storm. i know, doesnt sound right, but true
    12-14-08 09:30 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD