RIM BlackBerry Curve 8900 (T-Mobile) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Includes a short video.

They said they love the phone but its drawback is 3g.

I live in a 3g area for Tmobile and its not that great as of yet. My friends g1 is sluggish compared to ATT 3g speeds.

Also they love the slim form factor. Well if this was a 3g phone, it wouldn't be so sleek and refined, itd be chunkier and bigger and the battery life would suck.

Decent review, but they need to open their eyes a little bit and realize 3g isn't everything. This phone can do everything I want it to, use apps, qwerty, and the camera and screen are amazing.

This phone is a 10 in my book.
    01-28-09 02:29 PM
    I agree with you 100%. In my opinion, the Curve 8900 received 3.5 stars compared to the Bold's 4 stars because of the 3g difference. I just feel that the rating should at least be equal, since the 8900 has double the RAM, smaller form factor, longer battery life and better screen resolution.

The editors at CNET need to realize that although the Bold is the faster device, the 8900 is the more well-rounded device.
    01-28-09 02:42 PM
    RIM BlackBerry Curve 8900 (T-Mobile) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Includes a short video.

They said they love the phone but its drawback is 3g.

I live in a 3g area for Tmobile and its not that great as of yet. My friends g1 is sluggish compared to ATT 3g speeds.

Also they love the slim form factor. Well if this was a 3g phone, it wouldn't be so sleek and refined, itd be chunkier and bigger and the battery life would suck.

Decent review, but they need to open their eyes a little bit and realize 3g isn't everything. This phone can do everything I want it to, use apps, qwerty, and the camera and screen are amazing.

This phone is a 10 in my book.
    Im with you on this one. So many ppl praise 3G like its the greatest thing in the world. Ill admit, the Javelin would be PERFECT if it has 3G but I dont think Bonny Cha at cNet had to bring it up so many times that it didnt have it. I LOVE this phone. I wouldnt really get all that much use out of 3G but I guess its just having the option of using it that ppl want. But hey, atleast its got WiFi! There are open hot spots almost everywhere I go now. I give it a 10 as well
    01-28-09 02:42 PM
    Thanks for the post. I've been waiting on CNET's review.
    01-28-09 02:47 PM
    I was kinda surprised. They are pretty spot on with reviews....but this one was all about 3G - the camera, battery, memory all better by longshots.
    01-28-09 02:49 PM
    3G is the next generation but clearly it has its issues currently. I think the additional channels for EDGE on the 8900 should not be overlooked as that coupled with the processor/memory upgrades really do add to the browsing experience and get close to 3G speeds. All without the additional battery drain that 3G currently offers.
    01-28-09 07:33 PM
    3G..psh whatever>
    EDGE is 2.8G....big deal.

4.5/5 in my book.

except for the lame battery life. 15 days standby...someone needs to give RIM a slap in the face for advertising that.
    01-28-09 07:40 PM
    Eh, all the 15 days standby means is that IF U FULLY CHARGE IT, u can set in on a shelf and it'll stay alive 15 days. That's only if u don't touch it at all lol

eh

Ehfhjj

4.5/5 in my book.

except for the lame battery life. 15 days standby...someone needs to give RIM a slap in the face for advertising that.[/QUOTE]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 08:33 PM
    Sorry, I had some posting issues on that last post

01-28-09 08:35 PM
    I don't see what the big deal is with 3G. Still, coverage is spotty (esp on T-Mobile) and it drains your battery life.

The 8900 was optimized for speed on EDGE. Today I turned off the Wi-Fi on my 8900 and was able to load pages in <5 sec (JavaScript turned off). I also could watch YouTube with only a little bit of buffering JUST in the beginning...no where else.

That's pretty darn good for an EDGE phone!
    01-28-09 08:37 PM
    I agree with you 100%. In my opinion, the Curve 8900 received 3.5 stars compared to the Bold's 4 stars because of the 3g difference. I just feel that the rating should at least be equal, since the 8900 has double the RAM, smaller form factor, longer battery life and better screen resolution.

The editors at CNET need to realize that although the Bold is the faster device, the 8900 is the more well-rounded device.
    i completely agree
    07-06-09 01:14 PM
    3G..psh whatever>

4.5/5 in my book.

except for the lame battery life. 15 days standby...someone needs to give RIM a slap in the face for advertising that.
    truly the battery life specs are false... it is decent but 15 days is garbage
    07-06-09 01:15 PM
    I dub thee.....FRANKENTHREAD!!!

Seriously though, I've noticed that a lot of cnet's reviews put too much stock in the spec sheets and not enough in actual functionality, though they tend to be better at that than a lot of review sites.

They also get points for being one of the most impartial reviewers out there (AFAIK)
    07-06-09 01:19 PM
    I dub thee.....FRANKENTHREAD!!!
    You are not kidding!!!
    07-06-09 01:29 PM
    truly the battery life specs are false... it is decent but 15 days is garbage
    all battery life specifications from car batteries to hearing aid batteries are off.... LOL

we should be used to it by now!!
    07-06-09 02:06 PM
    You are not kidding!!!
    Since you're speaking of frankenthread........do most of you guys rely on cnet for reviews.......I tend to use em for most all of my ELECTRONICS reviews since they seem so impartial and thorough....also they seem to be spot on with devices I have and shouldnt have purchased?
    07-06-09 02:09 PM
    I think the Cnet review does the phone justice.

07-07-09 11:28 AM
    do most of you guys rely on cnet for reviews.......I tend to use em for most all of my ELECTRONICS reviews since they seem so impartial and thorough....also they seem to be spot on with devices I have and shouldnt have purchased?
    I DO visit their site before any major electronics purchase, but as with anything, take it with a grain of salt.

While they are more impartial than most in my experience, many things are subjective and what they consider better in any given feature may not necessarily be my opinion as well. Also important to note are the user reviews as they tend to have more hands-on experience with device "X"

But it is certainly a good place to start!

07-07-09 12:29 PM
    I love my 8900, while at home I use wifi and it works great. I don't mind it not having 3G but it is a problem for some people. Oh and the battery is great I go online and text through out they day and I don't have to charge my phone except every other day which is great for a bb..
    07-07-09 02:39 PM
    Lack of 3G is like buying a computer that can only use Dial Up.

3.5 vs the Bolds 4.0 is fair in my opinion.
    07-07-09 02:41 PM

Nice try ....
    07-07-09 03:04 PM

Only if you live in a 3G area. But even then its more like having DSL instead of cable. Higher theoretical speeds, but dependent on location and bandwidth load.

If you don't (I live in a town of about 20,000 and 3G doesn't exist here), its like running wifi without a hotspot. Draining your battery for no benefit. Especially in the case of the Bold which doesn't allow disabling 3G.

I believe they are equal with their strengths lying in different areas.

07-07-09 03:11 PM
    Only if you live in a 3G area. But even then its more like having DSL instead of cable. Higher theoretical speeds, but dependent on location and bandwidth load.

If you don't (I live in a town of about 20,000 and 3G doesn't exist here), its like running wifi without a hotspot. Draining your battery for no benefit. Especially in the case of the Bold which doesn't allow disabling 3G.

I believe they are equal with their strengths lying in different areas.

That's a good point, that your ATT Bold will drain battery if you're not in a 3G area. I'm not in one, and that's mainly why I didn't get an ATT Bold last year. The Rogers Bold lets you turn 3G on/off, but not ATT. They should let you IMO.
    07-07-09 03:22 PM
    Right. I should've specified that I meant the AT&T Bold. Thanks for the correction.

07-07-09 03:25 PM
    3G isnt everything tgo some ppl.
    07-07-09 03:33 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD