Recently cleaned out some old ringtones.

Went into: Media/Explore/Media Card/BlackBerry/ringtones/

Then deleted all the old ringtones I didn't want. All went well and they all deleted without any problems.

BUT!

Now when I go into my address book and try to add or edit using "Custom Ring Tones" I still see all these old ringtones that I've already deleted. They no longer associate with anything and don't work but they are still on this list which makes it harder to sort through the list.

Apparently when you delete old ringtones, the cache file associated to the address book doesn't update (using OS .250).

Does anyone know how to clean this up?
    07-24-09 05:46 PM
    i have this same problem and have been trying to figure it out for a while.
    07-24-09 07:53 PM
    i have this same problem and have been trying to figure it out for a while.
    Kinda ridiculous. This should be a simple programming step that the BlackBerry does on its own. At worst there should be something we can do to refresh the list or clean it up.

On my old 83xx series, a battery pull did the trick to fix this. I can't find anything that works now.
    Last edited by berryite; 07-24-09 at 08:04 PM.
    07-24-09 08:01 PM
    Kinda ridiculous. This should be a simple programming step that the BlackBerry does on its own. At worst there should be something we can do to refresh the list or clean it up.
    yea thats what i thought at first too. i tried to search if others had the same problem and if they had any solutions. no dice
    07-24-09 08:03 PM
    yea thats what i thought at first too. i tried to search if others had the same problem and if they had any solutions. no dice
    Also did a CrackBerry and a Google search before posting this without result.
    07-24-09 08:06 PM
    im using .231 so i dont know about .250, but i just had & tried the idea of simply going into my phonebook selecting to edit a particular contact, deleting the ringtone field & resaving.. it totally worked! maybe it will for all you .250 users as well?!
    07-31-09 11:49 AM
    Recently cleaned out some old ringtones.

Went into: Media/Explore/Media Card/BlackBerry/ringtones/

Then deleted all the old ringtones I didn't want. All went well and they all deleted without any problems.

BUT!

Now when I go into my address book and try to add or edit using "Custom Ring Tones" I still see all these old ringtones that I've already deleted. They no longer associate with anything and don't work but they are still on this list which makes it harder to sort through the list.

Apparently when you delete old ringtones, the cache file associated to the address book doesn't update (using OS .250).

Does anyone know how to clean this up?
    I have the answer so many of you have been looking for. Follow these steps in order and you'll be fine.

1. Plug your phone into your computer and open up your 'Ringtones' folder in Windows Explorer. In Windows Explorer, go to the menu bar at the top and select 'Tools>Folder Options. Select the 'View' tab.
    2. Next, CHECK view hidden files and folders, and UNCHECK hide protected operating system files.
    3. Save and exit. Back in the 'ringtones' folder, you will see a file called 'BBThumbs.dat". DELETE this file.
    4. Unplug your BB from the computer. Remove the battery.
    5. While the battery is out, remove the memory card. Wait 30 seconds. Reinsert your battery. After your phone has booted back up and running, wait 60 seconds and then reinsert your memory card.
    That should clear up your issue.
    07-31-09 12:34 PM
    I've wanted to do this for so long.
    07-31-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD