I currently have the BB 8520 with 4.6 software, I've been doing to get the O.S 5 update following the 'Upgrade Guide'. I've tried deleting the vendor.xml file but still not luck it still keeps on saying it doesn't have "BlackBerry Device Software". I've tried to following things.

1. Searching my entire computer for another vendor.xml file
    2. Re-installing both the upgrade and Desktop Manager

Still no luck, can anybody try and help me out? I've done some searching on the forum and found nothing.

Here are some of my phone specs if it helps

Carrier: Rogers
    Phone BlackBerry 8520
    06-10-10 11:04 PM
    Well according to that error you do not have the 5.0 software installed on your computer, for some reason. Look in - c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Loader Files - and see if you see the OS software there. If so - look in that OS folder (which should be 5.0.X.XXX and see if you see a AppLoader.exe program. If so - double click on it and that should load the software on the phone for you. Make sure and do a backup of your phone first with Desktop Manager.

*EDIT* Also, make sure you have downloaded the correct version of OS5.0 for your phone. Make sure it is spot on correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 11:11 PM
    Well according to that error you do not have the 5.0 software installed on your computer, for some reason. Look in - c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Loader Files - and see if you see the OS software there. If so - look in that OS folder (which should be 5.0.X.XXX and see if you see a AppLoader.exe program. If so - double click on it and that should load the software on the phone for you. Make sure and do a backup of your phone first with Desktop Manager.

*EDIT* Also, make sure you have downloaded the correct version of OS5.0 for your phone. Make sure it is spot on correct.

There is no folder after named Loader Files. That must be the reason then? I've installed the new OS file though.

EDIT: I've found Loader Files but it was under - c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files
    Last edited by fullvietFX; 06-10-10 at 11:19 PM.
    06-10-10 11:16 PM
    Well I copied the Loader Files to - c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Loader Files - instead of the c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files - path and it seems to work. Thanks!
    06-10-10 11:22 PM
    Do you have multiple harddrives? Because if you have installed the OS software, there should be a file in the Loader Files folder with your new OS in it.

Do me a favor, open control panel and go to Add/Remove Programs and look right under the Desktop Manager line and see if you see a Blackberry Smartphone OS line (or something like that). If you don't see one - there is no OS installed. If there is, remove it and reinstall on your c:/ drive.

06-10-10 11:22 PM
    Haha!! Oh yeah - I forgot that one stinkin' folder. Grr that's what I get for being on a Mac hope it installs fine for you. Good luck!

06-10-10 11:24 PM
    Yeah, kind of weird how it went into that random Shared folder, the updating program should search there too.
    06-10-10 11:42 PM
    It isnt random at all, at least it's where all my OS installs to.

I have the perfect test subject thou. I'll tell him to move the OS from Shared and see if he can install it.

Should he say he managed to, makes me wonder what on RIM is wrong...
    06-10-10 11:53 PM
    It always goes into the Shared folder - I just forgot about that folder when I wrote out the file destination.

06-11-10 12:21 PM
    is it known exactly where does the loader search the files?

I've DLd a 5.0 from blackberry.com and did the folder stuff and still nothing :/
    06-11-10 02:22 PM
    is it known exactly where does the loader search the files?

I've DLd a 5.0 from blackberry.com and did the folder stuff and still nothing :/
    Just go to "c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files" and copy the "Loader Files" folder to "c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/".
    06-11-10 02:43 PM
    Just go to "c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files" and copy the "Loader Files" folder to "c:/program files/common files/Research in Motion/".
    Yes, I did that loader still shows only the apps I currently have in that screen.
    06-11-10 02:47 PM
    No. You don't have to and shouldn't move any of the files around.

----

If that is all the Loader is saying than the OS on your phone and the one on your computer must be the same. Look on your phone under Options - About and see what version of the OS you are running. The Loader should show there being an update to your Blackberry Core files when a newer OS is installed on your computer than on your phone.

06-11-10 04:32 PM
    No. You don't have to and shouldn't move any of the files around.

----

If that is all the Loader is saying than the OS on your phone and the one on your computer must be the same. Look on your phone under Options - About and see what version of the OS you are running. The Loader should show there being an update to your Blackberry Core files when a newer OS is installed on your computer than on your phone.

No, I was definitely running 4.6 before. I did that and the Loader finally saw the new OS then it got upgraded to 5.0
    06-12-10 01:55 AM
    Yes, I did that loader still shows only the apps I currently have in that screen.
    It asks you which apps you want to keep and if you want to install any of the new ones. Just keep clicking next and update it.
    06-12-10 01:55 AM
    Alright, solved.

For my case, all I did (besides the OS setup and the 'vendor' file thing) was, in the screen where it is supposed to appear the OS core apps (it only had my own apps at that time), add _manually_ the blackberry.alx file from the folder in which is the desired OS (in that case, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\"folder with the OS" ). Then the core apps appeared and I was able to run the update.
    Thanks to Diegonei and all that helped.
    06-12-10 07:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD