This has happened to me a couple of times:

I get an alert saying there's a new message, the indicator light goes on and the new message icon appears on the home screen. Then when I pull my BB out of the holster it opens up the message folder as usual but the new message does not appear. The new message icon is still there but I can't seem to find the new message even after searching for it in all applicable folders.

I've searched the forums and tried freeing up space. The phone still has plenty of free space on.

I can still recieve messages but it bothers me that there's a couple of messages somewhere that I can't view.

Help please!
    07-30-08 04:13 PM
    from your main screen, hit the BB menu button and choose "show all", then scroll through your icons. I'm guessing you have a message somewhere in one of them. BB messenger? One of your email accounts? A redirected SMS?

Try searching all icons for that magic red star and see if you find one. Let us know.
    07-30-08 04:18 PM
    It's not showing up because I marked all messages as opened thinking that it would make the hidden message appear in the inbox...
    07-30-08 04:37 PM
    I think you'd only be marking those in that inbox as opened. Did you look at all icons, including hidden ones to make sure there isn't a mailbox somewhere with a missed message?
    07-30-08 04:39 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull? My friends blackberry was doing something similar to this. It was going off by it self saying she had a message and really didn't. Don't know why. Anyways I tried a battery pull and everything worked fine.
    07-30-08 04:40 PM
    I pulled the battery and the new message icon was still there. I checked all icons, including hidden ones and there aren't any new messages in any of my mailboxes.

Was it just a phantom message? Does it have something to do with removing the BB from the holster too quickly or something? Cause that is what seems to create the problem each time. When I pull the BB from the holster while it's still giving me the alert it opens the inbox and there are no new messages...
    07-30-08 05:15 PM
    Bump...

Has anyone heard of phantom messages coming through? Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?
    07-30-08 06:03 PM
    Hey, I pulled up this post because I had the same problem. My "hidden message" was in the Saved Messages icon. Try that and see if there is one there. I forgot about a message that I had saved.

I hope this helps!

Trav
    07-30-08 07:38 PM
    This is seriously beyond frustrating. I've done everything I can think of and it keeps happening. I now have an indicator saying I have 4 unread text messages and they are nowhere to be seen...

Please help!!
    07-31-08 01:08 AM
    Update:

After removing the memory card I can again read new messages but the previous messages are still lost.

Does anyone know what I can do?
    07-31-08 01:09 AM
    See if this works
    Call log>Options>call logging>none.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 01:12 AM
    Ok, well it's working now.

I think there may be some connection between synching my BB using Desktop Manager (or simply whenever I connect it to a computer via USB) because it only seems to happen after I do this (but not everytime I do it).

Has anyone had this problem before?
    07-31-08 01:35 AM
    This is an old thread, but I am having the problem with my new BB. I have the "new message" icon showing in the main header, and when I scroll over the message icon, it pops up and says i message...but when you select it, no message. I checked all the icons and found a red star next to the AP News launcher, but I see no way of checking messages from them. After clicking that icon several times, the red star wen taway...but the new message icon is still there on main screen.

Anyone else have this issue...and know how to resolve it?
    11-19-08 07:03 AM
    I was having the same problem as you were and I thought I had looked everywhere, but I actually found 4 messages in my "SMS Outbox" that were labeled unopened. I'm not sure why there were messages that I sent that said unopened or what caused them to be different from the others, but it did solve the phantom messages problem for me.
    Last edited by mandigagaloo; 10-25-09 at 01:06 PM.
    10-25-09 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD