I have a Verizon Wireless 8330 running 4.5.0.77. I've installed an 8GB SDHC card, which I formatted on the phone. I can access, read from, and write to the card just fine on the blackberry.

My computer (Dell B130 if it matters) is running a brand new load of WinXP. I have Blackberry desktop 4.7 and VZAM installed. Using my Targus card reader I can access, read from, and write to the SDHC card just fine.

Here's the problem: when the card is in the blackberry and mass storage mode (and auto turn on) are enabled, and then the blackberry is connected to a USB port on the computer:

- the computer reports a mass storage error in the device manager
    - if it doesn't report the error, the computer doesn't see the blackberry, and neither VZAM nor blackberry desktop sees it either
    - with the card removed, or with mass storage mode off, the computer sees the blackberry fine and both VZAM and desktop hum away happily

Everything has been reloaded / reset to latest versions (see the brand new XP load above). The blackberry itself has been completely reflashed. Yet, no joy.

Both Verizon and RIM have thrown up their hands. Looks like a warranty exchange. But before I go through the pain of getting things set up exactly the way I like them yet again, does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

thanks
    02-03-09 04:38 PM
    Sounds like a bad card reader in the device. Specially if both VZW and RIM have looked at it
    02-03-09 04:40 PM
    Sounds like a bad card reader in the device. Specially if both VZW and RIM have looked at it
    I would agree with you except that I can play songs / store pictures / do other file activity on this card while it's in the blackberry just fine. I did also forget to mention that I have a known good 1GB SD (non-HC) card, and all the same problems happen when I use it instead.

thanks
    02-03-09 04:56 PM
    Interesting - did you try another USB port and cable?
    02-03-09 04:59 PM
    Is the issue when you connect your BB to your PC and when opening My Computer you dont see the Media Card listed as Blackberry? If so try opening the Media Manager in the DM, it should be accessible like a thumb drive after running the MM.
    02-03-09 05:13 PM
    Interesting - did you try another USB port and cable?
    Yes, interesting, yes, 2 other ports, and yes 1 other known good cable. Yes, frustrating.

thanks
    02-03-09 06:28 PM
    Is the issue when you connect your BB to your PC and when opening My Computer you dont see the Media Card listed as Blackberry? If so try opening the Media Manager in the DM, it should be accessible like a thumb drive after running the MM.
    Correct (mostly) to your question. If I don't get an error in Device Manager (code 10 for USB Mass Storage Device), then all I see in My Computer is a lettered device called "removable disk", rather than the expected "Blackberry". If I open "removable disk" nothing is seen. At this point I have opened DM per your suggestion, and while I can run MM, it does nothing because DM is showing "none" for the PIN of the connected device even tho it is clearly connected.

Arg.

thanks
    02-03-09 06:37 PM
    I had a similar prob a couple of weeks ago. It ended up being a corrupted usb driver (the OS one, not the RIM one) on my pc. Once I re-installed the driver the prob went away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 06:47 PM
    I had a similar prob a couple of weeks ago. It ended up being a corrupted usb driver (the OS one, not the RIM one) on my pc. Once I re-installed the driver the prob went away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agree, feels like an XP driver problem. But this problem has survived a complete reinstall (took advantage of the opportunity to upgrade from 40 to 250GB drive) on a new drive. So I consider an OS driver problem unlikely, especially since I can use other USB devices on that same port just fine.

thanks
    02-03-09 07:27 PM
    The driver issue was a thought. I would suggest your southbridge drivers be updated to the latest available, I have had inconsistent (read somethings work and some don't) USB probs due to that before. Also might try this thread for some info:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/
    02-03-09 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD