I loved (note the past tense) my 8830. I had the OtterBox Defender Series cover for it and loved it even more, since I'm a busy working mom with a toddler who loves to steal our phones and drop them and an older child who likes to play games on it. Then I decided to get a Seido Extended Battery. Unfortunately, this meant I could no longer use the Otterbox case, so along with the battery I got the extended battery case. No sooner had I done this than I closed the trunk of my SUV on my beloved Curve without realizing it until later. When I finally found it, the screen *underneath* had a crack going down it. The area is blacked out where the crack is (about a cm in width) and the rest of the screen is extremely hazy. (The phone itself works fine and can still sync.) To make due temporarily, I have enlarged the font but I need to scroll up and down to read where the light colored and blacked-out areas are. I *thought* I had the Asurion replacement insurance protection from Verizon, but it turns out that only one of our phones was covered. Since I've had it with Verizon, I decided to treat myself to the new Tour from Sprint. But, I digress...

My husband says that I should have seen if I could find someone to repair the screen first, before canceling my contract with Verizon. (Well, to be honest, I really wanted the Tour and I wanted to get away from Verizon because the service in our area is horrendous and my clients [pregnant moms] rely on my being able to receive their calls in an emergency. I wasn't due for an upgrade for over a year and I have had to have my Curve replaced several times already due to malfunctioning , so this was all the more reason to upgrade it. )

Anyway.. Is it possible to find a wireless device repair center that could replace the entire screen and fix any damage underneath it? Again, the top of the screen itself is not cracked. Its *underneath* the screen. I'm not sure if it more of the hardware underneath the glass would also have to be replaced but I think it would. Second, if it is possible, is it even worth it, cost-wise to have it repaired?

BTW, I will be buying the new Otterbox Defender case for the Tour ASAP. I obviously can't go a minute without it!

Thanks!
    Chris
    Last edited by MilosBlackberry; 08-18-09 at 12:06 AM.
    08-17-09 11:57 PM
    Both the outer lens and LCD screen can be replaced. Parts can be purchased from many sources. Most would recommend cnn.cn

Finding a local repairshop with reasonable rates is another thing entirely.

If you or your husband is handy with electronics, there are videos on youtube and picture tutorials here on CB on how to take your BB apart and reassemble it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 12:23 AM
    Here is a resource for the parts in question,

Blackberry Parts, BlackBerry Curve Parts, Blackberry Pearl Parts, Blackberry Bold Parts

They are usually available at

Amazon

And ebay.

08-18-09 01:24 AM
    I am not handy when it come to fixing things machines or electronics but I was able to replace my screen w/out too many issues. The only thing I screwed up was getting a couple of smudges on the backside lens and now the phone is put back together and I cant wipe the lens clean. I am going back in people (wish me luck) to wipe the inside clean and hopefully be done with taking this thing apart.
    08-18-09 07:28 AM
    Ok, if you need a repair service, here is recommendation:

PDA Repair World - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices

You can Google for others, but this is one I see recommended most often.

08-18-09 08:04 AM
    Both the outer lens and LCD screen can be replaced. Parts can be purchased from many sources. Most would recommend cnn.cn
    Thanks! Would this part replace both the LED part and the lens, or just the outer lens?

BlackBerry Curve 8330 OEM Silver LCD lens
    BlackBerry Curve 8330 OEM Silver LCD lens - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -

I couldn't tell.

Thanks so much for all your replies, everyone! And good luck with your repairs too.

Chris
    08-18-09 09:51 AM
    First of all, you are a mom that knows her stuff (her stuff being BlackBerry in general). That's cool. So kudos to you. My mom didn't know what a BlackBerry was until I got one -_-.

On an on-topic note, in your device model that you already have the Tour, does this mean you bought the Tour instead of trying to fix your Curve? If so, then this thread should be closed. If you haven't, in my opinion, you should buy the Tour. Why? Because of your job (the new toy is an extra bonus). Just ask yourself if due to "Verizon's terrible coverage" where you live you can't answer a phone call of a woman that is ready to deliver, would you be ok with it? I know I wouldn't.
    08-18-09 12:59 PM
    First of all, you are a mom that knows her stuff (her stuff being BlackBerry in general). That's cool. So kudos to you. My mom didn't know what a BlackBerry was until I got one -_-.
    JRCxyz, you just made my day! I don't know how old you are, or how old your mom is, but you're awesome!

I guess I would consider myself to be a techie mama. I love electronic gadgets and I love to explore every inch of them. I also have tattoos and piercings, so I suppose I'm not your average mama!

On an on-topic note, in your device model that you already have the Tour, does this mean you bought the Tour instead of trying to fix your Curve?
    Technically, YES, I switched carriers yesterday and early this morning my NEW TOUR arrived at my doorstep! ITA with everything you wrote above and it didn't take much reasoning or convincing for me to upgrade.

If you haven't, in my opinion, you should buy the Tour. Why? Because of your job (the new toy is an extra bonus). Just ask yourself if due to "Verizon's terrible coverage" where you live you can't answer a phone call of a woman that is ready to deliver, would you be ok with it? I know I wouldn't.
    Yeah, where I live, the signal for Verizon is really spotty. Either I hear people as an echo which is really distracting when having a conversation, or they can't hear me at all and they think I've hung up. Actually, some times I've been talking and the call has dropped when I didn't even know it. It was just like those commercials! Sometimes I don't get a signal inside local houses, other times I lose the signal while driving. The Navigator was practically useless because the signal was so delayed that it would tell me the turn AFTER I needed it. Then I'd get that annoying, "recalculating route..." over and over again.

What I've had to do with my clients is check my voicemail several times a day to make sure I didn't miss any calls while in a no-signal area and provide an alternate landline number. Ridiculous!

Wish me luck now!

If so, then this thread should be closed.
    I was still checking the thread because I actually haven't decided if I will try to buy replacement parts from CNN.cn and fix the Curve's screen for my husband to use, or if I will contact a repair place. BTW, thanks to everyone who sent the links to repair services. I'm also still trying to figure out if the piece I sent the link to fixes the LED screen as well as the lens.

But yes, this thread has been a great help!

Chris
    Last edited by MilosBlackberry; 08-18-09 at 03:20 PM.
    08-18-09 03:16 PM
    Thanks! Would this part replace both the LED part and the lens, or just the outer lens?

BlackBerry Curve 8330 OEM Silver LCD lens
    BlackBerry Curve 8330 OEM Silver LCD lens - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -

I couldn't tell.

Chris
    Well, I just answered my own question... Here is the second part I believe I need:

BlackBerry Curve 8300/8310/8320/8330 OEM LCD screen
    BlackBerry Curve 8300/8310/8320/8330 OEM LCD screen - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular

Thanks for your help, everyone! I'll let you know if I decide to try to fix it myself!

Chris
    08-18-09 10:35 PM
    I'll let you know if I decide to try to fix it myself!
    I'm going to try to fix it myself with parts from CNN. The total for both the LCD screen and the lens came to under $50 with shipping! The price to have both the lens and screen fixed at PDA Repair World looks to be about $49.99 just for lens replacement and $99 for LCD screen replacement.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Chris
    08-18-09 10:47 PM
    Here is a resource for the parts in question,

Blackberry Parts, BlackBerry Curve Parts, Blackberry Pearl Parts, Blackberry Bold Parts

They are usually available at

Amazon

And ebay.

Wow, thanks BergerKing. I just found the same exact parts, plus the toolkit for $43.75 from FonLogix! Excellent!
    08-18-09 11:01 PM
    JRCxyz, you just made my day! I don't know how old you are, or how old your mom is, but you're awesome!
    Glad I did. I am 15 (I know, a bit young for a BlackBerry but.... Idk. I am responsable ) and my mom is 41 (I honestly didn't know that and had to ask her xD). You seem awesome, too.

I guess I would consider myself to be a techie mama. I love electronic gadgets and I love to explore every inch of them. I also have tattoos and piercings, so I suppose I'm not your average mama!
    Most of my friends' moms with BlackBerry phones know next to nothing about them. They just have it for the social status a BlackBerry brings with it. There's just one exception that I know of. This is one my friend's mom that know more than her daughter of her BlackBerry. I think that's cool.
    To be honest, when I went looking for a BlackBerry at first I just wanted it because my friends have it but I knew I wouldn't just choose the one that looks the best or the one that most people have. And I didn't. That's how I found this site. By the way, I don't like tattoos but know their meaning and think some look really good. They just aren't something I would do. I hate piercings xD. (On a little note, you misspelled "tatto" .)

(I was going to say techie mamas are hot as a joke but didn't want you to take it the wrong way.)

Technically, YES, I switched carriers yesterday and early this morning my NEW TOUR arrived at my doorstep! ITA with everything you wrote above and it didn't take much reasoning or convincing for me to upgrade.
    As you can infer from reading my last post, I think it was the right decision. What ITA means? I assume it is like "I agree" due to where it was used but don't know what ITA actually stands for. Excuse me when I don't know everything about the slang/acronyms
    used. English isn't my first language (Spanish ftw! ).

Yeah, where I live, the signal for Verizon is really spotty. Either I hear people as an echo which is really distracting when having a conversation, or they can't hear me at all and they think I've hung up. Actually, some times I've been talking and the call has dropped when I didn't even know it. It was just like those commercials! Sometimes I don't get a signal inside local houses, other times I lose the signal while driving. The Navigator was practically useless because the signal was so delayed that it would tell me the turn AFTER I needed it. Then I'd get that annoying, "recalculating route..." over and over again.
    As I said before, due to your job, that kind of coverage shouldn't be acceptable. So good you decided to switch. The navigator part was actually funny, dangerous in some parts when it really is needed, but funny nonetheless.

What I've had to do with my clients is check my voicemail several times a day to make sure I didn't miss any calls while in a no-signal area and provide an alternate landline number. Ridiculous!
    Ridiculous indeed.

Wish me luck now!
    Good luck .

I was still checking the thread because I actually haven't decided if I will try to buy replacement parts from CNN.cn and fix the Curve's screen for my husband to use, or if I will contact a repair place. BTW, thanks to everyone who sent the links to repair services. I'm also still trying to figure out if the piece I sent the link to fixes the LED screen as well as the lens.

But yes, this thread has been a great help!

Chris
    So you get the new toy and he gets the old one you left . Usually threads in these forums are really helpful.

Edit: I just noticed ITA means "I totally agree" or at least I think so. Also, I forgot to say that I prefer JRC > JRCxyz. The "xyz" bit is just there because that's my username on other forums.

Edit 2: Woot 30 posts!
    Last edited by JRCxyz; 08-19-09 at 12:06 AM.
    08-18-09 11:45 PM
    BergerKing, thanks so much for recommending FonLogiz. For $18 plus a $10 tool kit and S&H, I now have a like-new BB 8330 Curve again! I even bought and additional screen, just in case this one gets scratched up again. Now I have the TOUR plus my old Curve! Thank you!!!
    08-28-09 09:16 PM
    Glad I did. I am 15 (I know, a bit young for a BlackBerry but.... Idk. I am responsable ) and my mom is 41 (I honestly didn't know that and had to ask her xD). You seem awesome, too.

(On a little note, you misspelled "tatto" .)
    Hey, JRC! Not sure what happened, but I missed this reply. Thank you for the support!

Wait, how did I mispell "tattoo?" I wrote: "tattoos" for plural. I hate to point it out, but you mispelled a word in your email yourself (e.g., responsible). I'm an editor, so I notice these things too. LOL!

I'm not offended by anything you said or wanted to say!

It has been fun chatting with you. Have a great weekend!
    08-28-09 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD