This is my first BB and I love it. So please bear with me if my questions are redundant.

I see on Blackberry.com that OS 5.0 is available for my Curve 8520. However, it is not shown on Tmobile's website. I have called Customer Care, an actual Tmo store, and chatted with Customer care. I've gotten three different answers.

So...if I install it on my phone now, is that a risky thing? Should I leave it alone until Tmo decided that I may have it? I've heard that doing it now could hose my Fave 5s. That would be very...not good. If I should wait, does anyone know when Tmo might get around to letting us have 5.0?
    05-28-10 03:53 PM
    You do not need the T-Mo software as long as you download the one for your device and follow the instructions to delete the vendor file in your computer.
    OS 5 is the best thing you can do for your BB. It's day and night.
    Search for threads regarding your particular upgrade.
    05-28-10 03:58 PM
    This is my first BB and I love it. So please bear with me if my questions are redundant.

I see on Blackberry.com that OS 5.0 is available for my Curve 8520. However, it is not shown on Tmobile's website. I have called Customer Care, an actual Tmo store, and chatted with Customer care. I've gotten three different answers.

So...if I install it on my phone now, is that a risky thing? Should I leave it alone until Tmo decided that I may have it? I've heard that doing it now could hose my Fave 5s. That would be very...not good. If I should wait, does anyone know when Tmo might get around to letting us have 5.0?
    Updating to the latest OS is always a good thing, unless you do something bad. You can also use OS from other carrier but make sure delete the 'vendor.xml'
    05-28-10 03:59 PM
    And for your Fav 5, just put them on speed dial yes?

Actually, that is a good question. For the 5, is it software dependent or network dependent? It would make more sense if it was network dependent.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-10 04:17 PM
    Thank you for the replies so far. I have searched several of the OS 5.0 threads and the only issue I saw was for the Fave 5. Since we don't have a landline and don't have unlimited minutes (and do have a pre-teen daughter) we try to be very careful not to go over our minutes.

I could always back it up with the current OS and try 5.0, right? If it doesn't work with the Fave 5 I can always go back to the old backup, right?

And I don't really care about the Fave 5 icon, I seldom dial from that feature anyway. They're on speed dial or just in my contacts.
    05-28-10 05:18 PM
    Most distributions contain the Fave 5 code for TMO regardless of the carrier you download it from. Even when you delete the vendor.xml file, during the update DM reads the vendor code inside the phone, and uses that to determine what files to load into the phone based on blackberry.alx, platform.alx, etc. The vendor code for T-Mobile USA is 100. More than likely you will still have all the TMO features such as Fave 5 after the update. OS 5 runs great on TMO. Go for it. For Fave 5 to work you need the software in the phone and a service book pushed to your phone from TMO provisioning the Fave 5 feature. As long as you have both you are good to go.
    05-29-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD