Hey all, here's the deal. I travel alot, and my wife is stuck at home and we'd like to talk as much as possible, but due to me being over seas alot (oil drilling) the international rates are huge. Is it possible for me to Call her from my phone, and her pick up the call on Google talk or MSN messenger? Is there an Application for this sort of thing? Would be nice if someone could help..!
    07-06-09 01:40 AM
    Unfortunately I have been looking for the same thing but what I've found is that nothing is out there (someone please prove me wrong though).

The most sought out would be something like Skype which is popular already on PC and is currently in beta testing on Blackberry phones (already out for iPhones, ARGH!) but from leaks about the app, it doesn't use your data line, it uses the actual phone so you'll still be pay to use the service. Sorry I couldn't add anything to this but hopefully someone else will reply and prove me wrong.

Me and my girlfriend are in a long distance relationship right now and something like this would be awesome.
    07-06-09 02:38 AM
    I travel overseas a lot and this is my biggest headache. With a CDMA phone we dont even have a roaming option..although the tour will at least make a call..

regardless what I have concluded is..

1. If there is wifi where you work, you *should* be able to use UMA with a T mobile BB /wifi for free. (folks in the TMO forum report achieving this). This alone may make it worthwhile you switching carriers...

2. With a wifi/GSM BB phone you can reduce, though i dont think by a huge amount, your bill by using skype type voip but be warned:
    a) they are not true voip; they make a local call first, so
    i) only work in selected countries
    ii) you have to be roaming on the host country network

3. local sim cards are far cheaper than any roaming and almost equal to skype calls (eg..UK>USA 5c/min)

Unfortunately, a netbook and headset is the answer at the moment.. though i would be real happy to hear different for a non-expenses international roaming option

Hey all, here's the deal. I travel alot, and my wife is stuck at home and we'd like to talk as much as possible, but due to me being over seas alot (oil drilling) the international rates are huge. Is it possible for me to Call her from my phone, and her pick up the call on Google talk or MSN messenger? Is there an Application for this sort of thing? Would be nice if someone could help..!
    07-06-09 07:23 AM
    Try GuerrillaTel.com's app. It's awesome.
    07-23-09 11:59 AM
    I know this is an old post, but does anyone know if when using Guerrila you can call other phones with Guerrila by just using data and no minutes?
    06-15-10 11:31 AM
    Ok, old post or not, here is something my brother did when he was in Egypt for nearly 3 years. He simply got setup on a Vonage account. He had his phone number in Egypt setup as a local number to where his wife lived. They could call each other all they wanted for the uber low price of like $30 a month. Since he had a US phone number, everyone else could call him as a local call too, as long as their long distance was included in their plans. Anyway, it may not be free, but it is a very affordable alternative.
    06-15-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD