As soon as I got my blackberry I had this problem. I have searched in google and found a lot of people facing the same problem, and the solutions provided do not work.

In short, my problem is that if my contacts are stored with a +xxx (xxx int code) then if somebody calls me, I do not see their name, only their number with no int. code, while if they SMS me, I can see their names.

If they are stored without +xxx then if somebody calls me I can see their name, but if they send me a message, no name shows and their number is with +xxx.

I have tried the most common solutions out there which are:
    1- Entering the international code of my country in smart dialing and the number of digits of national lines (no effect)
    2-Disabling contact book protection (no effect)
    3- I have also deleted all my contacts from the phone and the SIM card and synced them once with no international code and did the same thing again with the international code (no effect)

This have become very very irritating as I have only the choice of seeing a persons name either when they call me or when the SMS me, otherwise I have to check the contact numbers to see who is the caller/sender.

if anybody knows how to fix this, please share your solution.

my OS is 4.6.1.286
    11-27-09 03:45 PM
    Mine started doing that last night, I just BBSAK to wipe and reinstalled the OS and it was fine. Now if I could just figure out why it wont open email attachments.
    11-27-09 04:48 PM
    What's a BBSAK?
    11-28-09 01:49 AM
    I have found a solution, well more like a workaround for my problem. As many people have a similar problem, I'd like to share the solution with them.

All you have to do is save the number TWICE. Once with the international prefix and once without. This way if you get a call you can see the name and if you get SMS you can see the name of the sender.

My contacts are saved on Gmail so I manually added the second number then synced using the Google Sync App.
    11-29-09 02:31 AM
    I had the same problem with my 8800 and also with my new 8120. I originally thought there was a problem with my old phone but its not. Works fine in the UK just not outside. Surely Blackberry have an answer for this
    12-12-09 03:15 PM
    It doesn't concern OS neither BB model, or carrier, or the way you input the number in your address book (with or w/o dashes or spaces). it concerns the way you define your device to recognize the numbers saved in your address book.

in "smart dialing" settings, besides country code and area code, there is the national number length. the number you put there determines for your BB, how many digits he will relate to in order to recognize the incoming (call\SMS) number.

for example, the number is +123-56-789-0123 or without the int. prefix 056-789-0123. if i put 10 as the number length, then the numbers are different because the tenth digit (from the end) in each is different (3 w/prefix and 0 w/o).

on the other hand, i can put 6 as the length, and then 123-456-7890 and 432-156-7890 will be recognized as the same, because the last 6 digits are similar.

got it??? figure out the number length in your country, without the area code, and that will give you the number to put.

Good luck!

PS - since this concerns all models, and i saw ppl ask about this problem in forums of all models, maybe you should consider sticking this in all forums. might be helpful.
    02-17-10 06:23 PM
    It doesn't concern OS neither BB model, or carrier, or the way you input the number in your address book (with or w/o dashes or spaces). it concerns the way you define your device to recognize the numbers saved in your address book.

in "smart dialing" settings, besides country code and area code, there is the national number length. the number you put there determines for your BB, how many digits he will relate to in order to recognize the incoming (call\SMS) number.

for example, the number is +123-56-789-0123 or without the int. prefix 056-789-0123. if i put 10 as the number length, then the numbers are different because the tenth digit (from the end) in each is different (3 w/prefix and 0 w/o).

on the other hand, i can put 6 as the length, and then 123-456-7890 and 432-156-7890 will be recognized as the same, because the last 6 digits are similar.

got it??? figure out the number length in your country, without the area code, and that will give you the number to put.

Good luck!

PS - since this concerns all models, and i saw ppl ask about this problem in forums of all models, maybe you should consider sticking this in all forums. might be helpful.
    WOW, what an impressive first post, WELL DONE!!!
    02-17-10 09:35 PM
    i have the same problem,i tried ur solution about changing the national number length but it didnt work on my phone. what else can i do?
    02-18-10 12:10 PM
    As soon as I got my blackberry I had this problem. I have searched in google and found a lot of people facing the same problem, and the solutions provided do not work.

In short, my problem is that if my contacts are stored with a +xxx (xxx int code) then if somebody calls me, I do not see their name, only their number with no int. code, while if they SMS me, I can see their names.

If they are stored without +xxx then if somebody calls me I can see their name, but if they send me a message, no name shows and their number is with +xxx.

I have tried the most common solutions out there which are:
    1- Entering the international code of my country in smart dialing and the number of digits of national lines (no effect)
    2-Disabling contact book protection (no effect)
    3- I have also deleted all my contacts from the phone and the SIM card and synced them once with no international code and did the same thing again with the international code (no effect)

This have become very very irritating as I have only the choice of seeing a persons name either when they call me or when the SMS me, otherwise I have to check the contact numbers to see who is the caller/sender.

if anybody knows how to fix this, please share your solution.

my OS is 4.6.1.286
    I have been getting exactly the same problem, my BB is 3 days old, my friends have the same problem, I am regretting buying this now!
    05-03-10 11:02 AM
    I and a couple of friend are also getting this problem, where are the 'smart dialing' settings on the phone. I am pulling my hair out with this BB.
    05-03-10 11:19 AM
    i was struggling with this for a while...
    the issue started after i unlocked my BB to use it with my Saudi sim card.
    after that, the same problem described here happened. i tried to adjust the smart dialing settings but i was using longer phone numbers. i used shorter length this time and it worked.
    06-07-10 12:02 PM
    I and a couple of friend are also getting this problem, where are the 'smart dialing' settings on the phone. I am pulling my hair out with this BB.
    OK, I don't know which phone you have or what OS you are running, but if you are using an 8520 with OS 4.6.XXX then:

1.) Press the Green Phone Key;
    2.) Click the Blackberry key (That is the one to the left of the trackpad);
    3.) Scroll down till you highlight Options;
    4.) You should see Smart Dialing, select it and all the parameters are there.
    06-07-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD