My first Blackberry, and I can't help but notice the side seems a bit loose between the volume and photo buttons...is it a defect or am I just being nitpicky? (Otherwise I'm in love)
    07-08-07 11:49 PM
    Are you talking about the black trim on the side? Nothing is loose on my Curve. The housing on this one is definitly solid. If you just bought it I would recommend taking it back to where you bought it from and see about exchanging it.
    07-09-07 01:36 AM
    Right, the black rubber...thanks, I'll take it into AT&T tomorrow
    07-09-07 01:42 AM
    I have to say i am not very impressed by some of the materials used on the Curve. Everyone moaned about the squeak on the 8800 but my 8300 has started flaking on the top. The rubber coating is coming off at the top.

It starting to look pants!

07-09-07 03:13 AM
    Nouveauxpulp My 8300 has the same exact issues as yours. I noticed from day one but I deal with it and accept the fact that BB uses cheap materials.

This is my third BB. On my 7130, pearl, and the 8300 the battery cover is loose as well. Be very careful while removing the battery cover, those little tabs that hold it in place are very fragile and no I am not abusive with it.
    07-09-07 06:54 AM
    I have to admit, there is certainly a difference in quality between the Curve and the 8800!
    07-09-07 07:11 AM
    I like the quality of the 8800 much better than the curve, the 8800 is a solid built phone. I looked at the 8300 and it look as though in time with normal usage the rubber sides will wear out in addition, to color fading.
    07-09-07 07:47 AM
    Same problem with my Curve, the bottom left and right of the keypad creak, and the right side with the camera and volume buttons can be pushed in and out and seems very loose. This is already my 3rd device (first had a faulty speaker and 2nd the apps just wouldn't work.) That aside, great device. But will Manufacturer even cover that if I'm past 30 days. Yes it's more of an annoyance but I'm sure not every one is like that.
    07-09-07 10:03 AM
    Same problem with my Curve, the bottom left and right of the keypad creak, and the right side with the camera and volume buttons can be pushed in and out and seems very loose. This is already my 3rd device (first had a faulty speaker and 2nd the apps just wouldn't work.) That aside, great device. But will Manufacturer even cover that if I'm past 30 days. Yes it's more of an annoyance but I'm sure not every one is like that.

Where did you buy the phone from? If you bought it through AT&T everything in the box is warrantied for a whole year against manufacturing defects and can be exchanged through the mail by calling the warranty exchange department. They will send you a new one (most of the time a refurbished) and you send the old one back. The "new" phone will come with a prepaid shipping label. Obviously as time goes on unless your curve is in perfect condition its harder to prove that it was a manufacturing defect vs. abuse to the phone. My recommendation is to do it sooner rather than later.
    07-09-07 10:25 AM
    Yeah, I've noticed the build quality is not that sturdy. I take good care of my blackberry, though... but I've noticed the top part of the rubber encasing is peeling off just slightly because of the constant friction of my fingers rubbing against it when I take it out of my pocket case.

Oh well, I don't mind so long as the device works. They say that once you've scratched your car... you no longer treat it as a highly prized car but that of a normal car and that's the type of attitude I want for my blackberry. It takes the burden of worrying about my blackberry off my mind, in fact ;0)

Of course, if it were that severely damaged, I would request AT&T to replace it under warranty.
    07-09-07 10:55 AM
    Well... I'll be different and say that I think my Curve is better built than my old 8800. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.
    07-09-07 11:05 AM
    I just want it to last 18 months...if it does that I will be a happy camper. My curve seems solid enough and should stay that way if I take care of it.
    07-09-07 04:37 PM
    The battery cover on my Curve seems loose on the left side, only by a millimeter or less, but when i run my finger across it as i hold the phone it is annoying.
    07-10-07 02:51 PM
    Lets face it gents,i dont think any bb are made with the sturdiest materials,RIM's way of keeping costs down,plus,they are mass produced by the millions by machines in china,we shouldnt expect much as long for the most part they work.This is the reason you must take care of your blackberry at all costs.
    12-24-07 06:46 AM
    I still think the 8800 is made better, i.e. better quality, period...
    12-24-07 11:49 AM
    ...plus,they are mass produced by the millions by machines in china,...
    And lemme guess, we also get an added lead bonus in the package!!

I think ALL of these things are fragile (BB, RAZR, Treo, etc) and that's why I went this weekend and bought a case for it.
    12-24-07 01:36 PM
    Weird, on my 8310, the black rubber sides are solid - no flex or peeling whatsoever. There's also no flex or squeaking or anything loose...

Then again my phone is only two months old, so perhaps I will see some wear and tear in time. But so far, I've been only impressed with the build quality of my 8310.
    12-24-07 05:05 PM
    Mine's fine except that if I were to shake it a little, it sounds as if something is loose. Could be the SIM or microSD card holder. Can anyone confirm this? I sure hope it is not a screw or anything...
    12-24-07 07:47 PM
    If anyone has purchased insurance for their BB, let me know. I've noticed on my BB some of the issues each of you have listed above regarding your BB Unfortunately for us, this is what happens to very popular produts based on supply and demand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-07 08:48 PM
    I guess I'm one of the few that have no issues whatsoever with my 8310...and had none with my previous 8300 either. My 8310 is rock solid, and I am shocked since it's such a lightweight device. I must admit that I have a personal preference for much more weighty phones...and was afraid that the BlackBerry would have major build problems...but so far, so good. No dust under the screen, no loose side rails, no creaky faceplate, no mushy keypad...I'm good to go.
    12-25-07 07:34 AM
    i have to say my curve has been dropped 2x from about 4 ft and then kicked across the parking lot (cause you know how when your walking and all of a sudden your phone falls, so you try to catch it with your foot to prevent it from hitting the ground hard...well when i did that i ended up kicking it across the parking lot about 10ft) Only damage is on the corner theres a tiny nick n scratch. the phone flipped prolly 4-5x and just bounced through the parking lot like a bouncing ball. and i picked it up and was def impressed with the fact that it was still in 1 piece. Take the iphone for example...i guarantee that if that same scenario was performed with the iphone i would have been staring down at a cracked screen and possibly picking up pieces of glass...lol My opinion the Curve is a rigid phone that can with stand drops, weather, kicks, slams, booms, bangs, etc... *(to an extent)

If anyone has purchased insurance for their BB, let me know. I've noticed on my BB some of the issues each of you have listed above regarding your BB Unfortunately for us, this is what happens to very popular produts based on supply and demand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I purchased the insurance for both my curves...i think the deductible is like $120-$150 something...
    12-25-07 11:50 AM
    Is it just me...or has anybody else noticed that most of the build-quality issues with the Curve posted here and other places seems to center more around the T-Mobile 8320 than the AT&T 8310? Could it be a carrier-related issue?

Just a thought...
    12-25-07 06:57 PM
    Is it just me...or has anybody else noticed that most of the build-quality issues with the Curve posted here and other places seems to center more around the T-Mobile 8320 than the AT&T 8310? Could it be a carrier-related issue?

Just a thought...
    i own 2 of the 8320 curves from t-mobile; neither has anything rattling within when you shake. Neither has and loose side pieces. Neither has anything appearing to show the product as being placed together in a cheap manor. I know with At&T/Cingular they are known for offering their "Refurbished Units" there for if one of you complaining above that has purchase one of these cheap units...really what kind of expectations would you have considering you bought a broken unit that has been fixed...The Curve is a great model and was put together with great pieces to make it an efficient product that is within a appropriate price range for the average consumer. One thing that is also very important to make sure you take into considerations if you trashin the name curve over less then a dozen posts of complaints thats kind of ridiculous cause that would be less the 1% of the entire market of curves currently out in consumers hands.
    12-25-07 07:58 PM
    When I shake mine, I do hear a little rattle inside...it's so slight though, and I've her the same sound on other electronics i.e. my digital camera. I think there is a limit to the build quality of products manufactured as such high rates.

I'm debating now if I should call T-Mobile and get an exchange (I think I am more paranoid about these little defects than I should be)...I don't want a refurbished Curve though, I want a brand new one if I exchange...what's the possibility of that? I'm definitely going to communicate that to them when I call.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
    i have friends that work for t-mobile customer care. and when ever you perform an exchange via insurance or warranty you are sent a refurbished unit that some1 else has sent in complaining about and that they have fixed. (Never ending circle) *Good luck...i have T-mobile corporates number if you need it, cuz thats prolly the only way you'll get a brand new phone. just private msg me or pin me and ill give it to you.
    12-25-07 08:01 PM
    I've actually had to send 2 curves back for the same exact issue. The screen on mine went completely white and there was only a little bit of color on the top. Both were the titanium curve from tmobile. I've decided to wait a little bit to get another curve.
    12-25-07 08:30 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD