I recently upgraded to v4.5.0.77 on my VZW BB 8330 and in doing so seemed to have lost the capability to send coherent e-mails to SMS recipients. I tested this out myself. For instance, I will compose an e-mail on my BB (gmail account), and send to <my phone number>@vtext.com

Normally, what would show up in my SMS box would be <username>@gmail.com on the first line and part of the message in the second line, and if I click on the message, I would be able to read the rest of the message that could not be displayed. However, after upgrading to v4.5.0.77, there is nothing in the first line and the second line would read:
    SRS0=MWk6L6=4N=gmail.com=<username>@srs.bis.na.bla ckberry.com (Subject) Message

Is this a bug within this version, or does everyone regardless of OS, also have this issue? I'm wondering whether an upgrade to v4.5.0.89 will fix the problem, or a downgrade back to 4.3.

Sorry for the long post, but this issue has been nagging me for awhile now.

Thanks in advance.
    12-10-08 02:39 PM
    I tried it and got a different result.

This is what I did:

Go to Messages
    Menu Key > Compose SMS Text
    select [Use Once] from address book (located above the 1st "A" contact)
    Select Email as the type of address
    Entered phone#@vtext.com as the address
    Menu Key > Continue
    Type body of message
    Menu Key > Send
    12-10-08 02:52 PM
    Thanks, but I believe the way you described results in sending an SMS message, which ends up charging me whatever Verizon charges for sending/receiving text (SMS) messages. I would rather fix the problem rather than find alternatives or ways around it.

I know that I could pay for a package from Verizon for text messaging, but I already pay for an unlimited data plan, why not take advantage and save a couple of bucks?

I appreciate the help though.
    12-10-08 03:26 PM
    Can anyone else perform my procedure and post their results?
    The procedure being:
    - Go into your BB email
    - Compose a new message
    - Enter <your phone number>@vtext.com (or whatever carrier you are with, ex. @txt.att.net for AT&T customers)
    - Enter anything in the subject line
    - Enter anything in the the body of the message
    - Send
    12-12-08 11:10 AM
    tested and nothing....
    12-12-08 11:14 AM
    Nothing as in, you or the recipient didn't receive anything in the SMS box, or nothing in terms of it worked fine?

And if it worked fine, what OS or App Version (Alt-EACE) are you running on your device?
    12-12-08 11:33 AM
    Can anyone else perform my procedure and post their results?
    The procedure being:
    - Go into your BB email
    - Compose a new message
    - Enter <your phone number>@vtext.com (or whatever carrier you are with, ex. @txt.att.net for AT&T customers)
    - Enter anything in the subject line
    - Enter anything in the the body of the message
    - Send
    It came back to me as a text message. I think the [email protected] is a way for someone to send you a text from a PC as well as a mobile phone. This worked on my old phone as well. This does not work the same as [email protected]
    12-12-08 02:17 PM
    Yes, it will come to you (provided you are putting in your number into the address) as a text message. The issue I'm referring to is that when it comes into my SMS inbox, I see everything in one string as a mathematical equation and nonsensical text, such as, "SRS0=MWk6L6=4N=gmail.com..."

I had a friend with a Curve perform the same procedure, except that she sent it to herself and me, and it came out as a mathematical equation as well. The VZW tech that I spoke to yesterday tried the same procedure and it came out normal for her, meaning that she would see the address on the first line (her gmail address) and the message on the second line (no equations). The VZW tech that I spoke to today tried it and he ended up with the same problem as I am having. He said that they work with RIM technicians and that this happens. "It's hit or miss." I can't accept that.

I have tried rolling back to version 4.3.0.127 and that did not fix the problem either.
    12-12-08 03:33 PM
    I'm having the same issue with my blackberry storm. I'll post if I get a solution.
    12-16-08 12:52 AM
    Great, nice to know that I'm not the only person in the world that does this. Hope you are able to find a solution, I've run out of alternatives. Thanks!!
    12-16-08 12:05 PM
    Try sending the message from a different email account. I tried this yesterday and the message came through just fine from my work email account. I'm using 4.5.0.89.

BTW, you know that receiving an email in this manner still counts as a text message and does not use your data plan, right? The whole "@vtext.com" address works for all VZW phones, even my old RAZR.
    12-16-08 12:21 PM
    What exactly can I use on my blacberry that wont cost me extra money when communicating with another blackberry or anyone else for that matter? I have email and internet.
    12-16-08 12:30 PM
    What exactly can I use on my blacberry that wont cost me extra money when communicating with another blackberry or anyone else for that matter? I have email and internet.
    BB Messenger, AIM, Windows Live Messenger, email...

Check out mobile.blackberry.com on your phone to see all of RIM's IM apps.

EDIT: Do NOT use the VZW Mobile IM app (I think that is it's name). This app lets you sign into multiple clients at once, but it sends/receives as SMS messages. Grrr, VZW...
    12-16-08 12:33 PM
    In response to nowlin20atm's first message, I am unsure whether you are referring to another email account thru the BB or just from the computer. From the computer, I have tested and yes it is fine. From another account created on BB (@vzw.blackberry.net), I have tested as well, and it still comes in with the mathematical equation.

And yes, I know that anything received @vtext.com means that it is not using my data plan, that is why I am trying to figure out how to do it from my gmail account on my BB. I am only sending it to myself @vtext.com to test. I don't want to constantly use my friends for testing purposes.

And to Lspav8r, I am trying to get help figuring this out so that I can quickly communicate with friends that do NOT have a Blackberry device and don't have access to email and internet when not at work.
    12-16-08 12:54 PM
    In response to nowlin20atm's first message, I am unsure whether you are referring to another email account thru the BB or just from the computer. From the computer, I have tested and yes it is fine. From another account created on BB (@vzw.blackberry.net), I have tested as well, and it still comes in with the mathematical equation.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. I DO see junk when sending from my BB, but when sending from the PC. Weird.
    12-16-08 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD