Ok, so most of you here are tech savvy pepople and I admire that. So I believe this is the correct forum to phrase this question too.

I am currently residing in a country where the Government recently imposed a ban on Blackbery Internet Browsing, along with this, they also succesfully pulled the plug to all the third party applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Dictionary.com, etc.

I have extensively researched on the internet, and tried connecting through APN, and service book modification, but to no avail.

Now since I am paying good quality money for the entire package, not just push e-mail and Blackberry Messenger, I expect to have all the services intact.

Now I want to phrase a question to all the Blackberry tech savvy people. Is there a way to get around this un-democratic block? I want to be able to surf through the browser, use Facebook like I used too, and send tweets at will. I don't quite like using third party browsers for surfing and checking my posts or tweets. I would be grateful if anyone here could assist me.

Thank you.
    07-02-10 08:23 AM
    DO you happen to live in Iran?
    07-02-10 08:27 AM
    Spam

10char
    07-02-10 08:29 AM
    DO you happen to live in Iran?
    Could be Pakinstan, Russia... Sadly, there are quite some places doing this now...

Ok, so most of you here are tech savvy pepople and I admire that. So I believe this is the correct forum to phrase this question too.

I am currently residing in a country where the Government recently imposed a ban on Blackbery Internet Browsing, along with this, they also succesfully pulled the plug to all the third party applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Dictionary.com, etc.

I have extensively researched on the internet, and tried connecting through APN, and service book modification, but to no avail.

Now since I am paying good quality money for the entire package, not just push e-mail and Blackberry Messenger, I expect to have all the services intact.

Now I want to phrase a question to all the Blackberry tech savvy people. Is there a way to get around this un-democratic block? I want to be able to surf through the browser, use Facebook like I used too, and send tweets at will. I don't quite like using third party browsers for surfing and checking my posts or tweets. I would be grateful if anyone here could assist me.

Thank you.
    Besides moving to another country? You could gather a crowd and petition (I do mean it, by email, hand written letters and those sing up boards, standing in front of the major's hall might become trouble) to the gov and the carriers to stop bulling.

It really sucks, but there are not solutions to this.

Elect another guy if you can... :/
    07-02-10 10:30 AM
    spam if all is blocked how did this message get out???????
    if im wrong i appologize but........
    07-02-10 12:10 PM
    There are several possibilities here.

1). Spam
    2). Genuine. Let's see if the OP comes back.
    3). The security people from wherever trying to block the last loophole out.

Let's just answer the question and see what comes back, if anything.

Using a 3rd party browser and setting your APN might help. It depends on what the authorities have done to stifle free speech. In this they cannot win, long term.

The internet is a Swiss cheese with entry and exit holes everywhere.
    07-02-10 12:19 PM
    Sounds to me like someone is trying to get around an IT policy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 12:25 PM
    Sounds to me like someone is trying to get around an IT policy.

Sadly, it isn't. Some places' govs decide BIS/BES is a secutiry risk and want to be able to see what does in there.

Since that IS a security breach, RIM does not allow them to and then they say "ok, then no service here" and ofc, local carriers obey.
    07-02-10 02:37 PM
    I am in Pakistan actually, where the dimwit officials found it prudent to block access to Facebook from all internet providers/blackberrys/mobiles etc in mid May. Though, they restored access in June, the Blackberry users have still no access, and since this is a 3rd world country, the people have very little, if at all, say in government policies, so no, protesting, complaining is futile...not that I haven't tried, I have on number of occasions, each time I call them, they tell me that they are negotiating.

Gentlmen, this is not spam I assure you, I am actually facing this problem, it's unfortunate that not many Pakistani Blackberry users have spoken out on this forum, but I shall be the first.

This is not an IT policy issue aswell, I am an independent BIS user, the BES users in the country are not restricted as government policies only apply to BIS, I know it is absolute bull**** what these folks here are doing..But I want my right, I want my access....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    07-03-10 04:50 AM
    @Peter, this is definitely a Freedom of Speech issue....

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-ser...anned-pakistan

This link sir, is proof, enough.
    07-03-10 05:08 AM
    Sadly, I'm convinced that this kind of censorship is just around the corner in the U.S. Ever hear of the Fairness Doctrine? Also, our illustrious esteemed leader has been hinting at Internet content regulation more than once. It's coming folks. It's coming.

07-03-10 07:50 AM
    On what level is the Block? Is it the DNS Root Server in Pakistan or actually BIS? I assume the Block is at the DNS Root Server level.
    07-03-10 09:04 AM
    @Micropitt, I am not sure what you ask of, from what I understand, it is all browsing through BIS period. We do receive e-mail, and Blackberry Messenger works just fine, but that is it. You cannot browse through the generic browser, you cannot use RIM applications such as Facebook or Twitter, you can't even access weblinks of NYTIMES or the Washington Post. I think this block is on a certain level, we can browse through the WAP Browser, but that is not good enough.

Upon researching, I discovered another method, after inserting the APN settings, and editing service books, but that didn't help at all. Only Snaptu and Worldmate worked through TCP/IP.

Any idea?

@travelingfool, Freedom of Speech is still a Constitutional Right, they can never hinder that...
    07-03-10 09:42 AM
    @Micropitt, I am not sure what you ask of, from what I understand, it is all browsing through BIS period. We do receive e-mail, and Blackberry Messenger works just fine, but that is it. You cannot browse through the generic browser, you cannot use RIM applications such as Facebook or Twitter, you can't even access weblinks of NYTIMES or the Washington Post. I think this block is on a certain level, we can browse through the WAP Browser, but that is not good enough.

Upon researching, I discovered another method, after inserting the APN settings, and editing service books, but that didn't help at all. Only Snaptu and Worldmate worked through TCP/IP.

Any idea?

@travelingfool, Freedom of Speech is still a Constitutional Right, they can never hinder that...
    They can still try sadly. ANd what I meant was gather a group of users and mass email/phone the company/representative untill they at least ask you to stop spamming.

Might not help, but does not hurt to try.

Things like these are so... cold war... I hope we grow past of them at some point... maybe by 2270...
    07-03-10 11:18 AM
    Try using Bolt Browser. It may just work for you!

07-03-10 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD