Just got this Saturday. Charged overnight, Today I have sent 2 texts, NO internet browsing, few calls and my battery is 1/2 full.

why is it draining my battery?
    09-21-08 07:08 PM
    Leaving applications running in the background will deplete your batter faster. Making sure you hit the BB function key and select close.
    Last edited by SK1; 09-21-08 at 07:42 PM. Reason: correction
    09-21-08 07:13 PM
    That sounds crazy; my battery lasts forever. Assuming you put it in your pocket, are you putting it in Standby (hold top button for a couple seconds) first so you're not accidentally doing stuff while it's in your pocket?
    09-21-08 07:15 PM
    What is the BB function?

I dont think anything was running on it. it was just setting on my table at home
    09-21-08 07:24 PM
    The BB button is/should be the button next to your track ball, that opens the menu.. If you don't "close" or "exit" most programs they will stay open, and can deplete your battery, facebook is great for that.
    09-21-08 07:29 PM
    would it matter that it is almost always bouncing between EDVO and 1X connection?

also I ws roaming for a quite a bit today.... not sure if that matters
    09-21-08 07:29 PM
    Well, I know when it's searching for a signal it helps to drain the battery,(BIG time for me) so I'd imagen that could.

(Just my thoughts)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 07:32 PM
    thats got to be what it was, i was out in the country today and it was boucing between evdo and 1x all day and also in and out of roaming all day.
    09-21-08 07:35 PM
    Yeah, probally, hope so. Hehe...

09-21-08 07:37 PM
    So maybe the battery doesn't suck...?
    09-21-08 07:38 PM
    also if you leave a gps program running it will kill it quick
    09-22-08 12:11 AM
    Just got this Saturday. Charged overnight, Today I have sent 2 texts, NO internet browsing, few calls and my battery is 1/2 full.

Before the area I live in became digital, a battery charge would barely make it through a day. It would deplete rapidly while traveling in a roaming area. Once the conversion was complete it made a huge difference. The roaming and open apps are probably the culprits. See how it performs when you're not roaming. Good Luck!

09-22-08 12:31 AM
    In addition to what others said (leaving apps open vs. closing them, and weak signal strength, which is big drain), I did notice that the battery life on my 8330 improved quite a bit after a few days of charge cycles.

Also, if you took it out of the box and started using it without charging it to 100% first, the battery will take some time to recover from that...if at all.

Being in LA, where we have good signal strength pretty much everywhere, I can do quite a bit of talking via Bluetooth, lots of RSS and mobile web reading, emails, texts etc. and only hit the halfway mark on a heavy day.

In weak areas out of town though, the radio has to increase it's reception gain to pick up and hold a signal which drains it real fast. So does VZ Nav, it's incredibly thirsty, but you can minimize it's LCD with the red button and still get turn by turn voice directions which helps.

In any case, if you're coming from a normal cell phone, get prepared to change your charging habits. I rarely use the travel charger, I just plug it into one my computers as much as possible, and use a USB car charger on the road. The latter is absolutely essential for using VZ Nav, just keep it plugged in while driving and you're fine.
    09-22-08 01:58 AM
    if know I'm going to be somewhere I might go into roaming. I just change my phone to roaming only. Then when I get back into my coverage area. Ill switch it back to home only. I never leave it up to the phone to choose. Its helped save battery strength. Hope this helps.

09-22-08 03:51 AM
  15. MarsVolt

That's so hard to believe!!! Sorry to here that. my battery usually last me 2 days usually because I fall asleep with it in my hands without it being on the charger and leave it on the charger till I. Get ready for class. And it lasts me all day. And I have 2 batteries. One from my old 8310 that I've only had to use once. You might wanna call CS and ask them to send you a new battery

09-22-08 06:34 AM
    I have a sprint 8330 and was having the same problem, i switched from an 8830WE which had amazing battery life, when i updated the OS on my 8330 to 4.5 the battery life improved substantially, u should consider updating
    09-22-08 11:42 AM
    i cant call cs because i bought it off ebay. (sealed in sprint box) so i guess i'll search for buying a new battery as its only 3:30 here and my battery is at 1/2 full. since 6am
    09-22-08 02:36 PM
    I had the same issue and then, seidio-2600mah-extended-battery.Issues no more
    09-22-08 03:34 PM

My 8330 battery last me the whole day

09-22-08 04:24 PM
    The fact that it was flopping between 1x and EV indicates to me the BB had poor signal which is one of the biggest battery drains. Exchanging for another BB isn't going to make a difference if there is a signal strength issue in your area. However if low signal is not a normal occurance in your day to day stuff then you won't have the same experience in the future regarding signal drain.

Now as far as other things to avoid that will drain the battery. Close all apps from the menu close / exit choice when finished using them. Using the back or end call button for almost all apps only moves the app to run in the background. You can make sure no apps are running using the app switcher (alt+back). There are 5 system apps that are always running: phone, messages, home, browser, and messenger.

Next important thing is putting the BB in standby mode when you aren't actively using the BB. That is when it is in your pocket or wherever. You can put the BB in standby mode by holding the mute button, located on the top of the BB, for a few seconds. You press mute to bring it out of standby when you need to use the BB again. There is also a very nice priced app called autostandby you can get in the CB app store that will put the BB in standby for you after an idle duration of your choice. I highly recommend it if you are forgetful on setting standby mode.

Next backlighting settings. The lower the brightness the better. And also turning on auto dim. These two will reduce battery drain as well. Especially the more the screen is on. Unless its intolerable I would recommend turning brightness to its lowest setting and turn on auto dim. This isn't as drastic as the previous things but every little bit helps.

Turning off bluetooth and WiFi when not in use is a good idea as well. And any app that uses the GPS will drain the battery fast so minimize use of those apps unless you are able to charge up the battery so as to not be left without your BB, or plug it in during use to avoid draining.

If you follow all these things you will get the factory rated life out of your battery. The 8330 battery is rated for 4.5 hours of talk time. So just about everything else doesn't use as much battery as calls do. You should get 2 or 3 days of heavy use (6-8 hours a day) not counting calls between needing to charge again.

09-24-08 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD