I made the perhaps unfortunate decision to buy a curve on a whim this morning, purchased it off craigslist, it is definitely an at&t phone and I have an AT&T Sim card that works in other AT&T phones fine. However, I simply cannot find a mobile network, my radio is on, but the mobile network is listed as 'not connected' and when I look at my mobile networks there are none listed only the word 'none'. Is my Radio definitely broken? is there something else I can do? Thanks in advance.
    08-19-09 06:13 PM
    have you registered the device?
    options>advanced options>host routing table>scroll down to the number in bold>menu key>register now.
    08-19-09 06:19 PM
    I just tried that and got the message 'registration message queued. It will be sent once data coverage is available'. and I dont have data coverage. I should mention I do not have the AT&T blackberry plan is this my problem? thanks for your help.
    08-19-09 06:23 PM
    You need a data plan for it to work!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 06:39 PM
    I have a normal AT&T data plan but not the blackberry one. Will it still not work? sorry for my stupidity.
    08-19-09 06:44 PM
    The phone should still connect to the mobile network and you should get data, just not BIS data. But to get data you need to enter AT&T's APN in the TCP section of Advanced Options. Can you make phone calls? If yes, then you are connected to the mobile network. If no, then the radio is toast most likely.
    08-19-09 06:52 PM
    I can not make phone calls, I am resigned to thinking the radio is gone and I have just been scammed out of 125 dollars. How difficult/expensive is it to have the radio fixed? thanks again.
    08-19-09 07:01 PM
    Have you tried contacting the original owner? Also, did you test it out before buying it? Maybe try taking it into an AT&T store. Hope you get your phone fixed.
    08-19-09 07:04 PM
    I did test it out but having briefly saw it worked didnt even check the radio signal very stupid. thus far I have been unable to contact the owner. Very frustrating.
    08-19-09 07:07 PM
    I would first try wiping and reloading the OS in case it's a corrupt software issue. You will find everything you need to do this in the 101 link in my signature.
    08-19-09 07:27 PM
    I would first try wiping and reloading the OS in case it's a corrupt software issue. You will find everything you need to do this in the 101 link in my signature.
    I wanted to PM you this question but I do not have enough posts, where exactly in your FAQ is that issue located? I looked and could not locate it, I suppose todays stupidity knows no bounds.

also, I have run a diagnostic test and wondered if that might shed some light on it. It lists

Radio Data Activation: No
    Signal Level: Unknown
    Radio Access: Unknown
    Network: Unknown
    IP Address: Unknown

Blackberry Registration: No
    Connected to Blackberry: No
    Blackberry Pin-Pin: No

Does this shed any light on the issue?
    08-19-09 07:53 PM
    Go to options>about and tell me what os is on it. It will be v4.5.0.___
    Last edited by pltaylor; 08-19-09 at 08:41 PM.
    08-19-09 08:18 PM
    v.4.2.2.170(platform 2.5.0.30)
    08-19-09 08:30 PM
    Wow, that's an ancient os. Ok, go here http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-247389/ Download and install that os to your pc and follow the instructions how to install it. Let me know if that doesnt fix it. You did say it's 8310 right?
    08-19-09 08:41 PM
    Updated the OS, now reads v4.5.0.55 still have the same problem! and yes it is a 8310
    08-19-09 10:45 PM
    Sorry to bump my own thread, but I was in touch with the owner he sent me this email

'blackberry phones are different from normal cell phones. You need to
    call or visit ATT and have them activate the blackberry. Just putting
    a sim card in will not activate the unit.'

is what he is saying making sense in the context of my issue? I had thought that just using my normal AT&T sim card(not blackberry data plan) would be fine.
    08-20-09 10:27 AM
    The seller may be right. If you have not contacted at&t to activate the phone. A don't know about gsm systems but I would assume that the carrier will confirm the phone is not under contract or stolen and activate the phone.

How do you know that it is an at&t phone? locked or unlocked? Phones can be used with different carriers but need to have an unlock code to change.
    08-20-09 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD