I'm excited because I finally won an 8350i through eBay. That being said, when I get it, I would like to have a plan. I am thinking that before I put a SIM card and test it, is there anything that I should backup, so that I can restore it back to its 'virgin' state?

I thought that I would start out by simply installing a known working Boost SIM and testing the voice and SMS. If that works, then test the web browser (download google maps) and, then Gmail app and finally, GPS (google maps). Not sure at what point I would need to install the service books: AmySharren's good post indicates that the service book is needed for shangmail and Google maps. Unsure if servicebooks is needed for Gmail app.

I am trying to be super cautious and would like to ask the community if testing with\ without updated service books is going to cause any problems in the future. I have done a lot of reading, but might have missed something.

Constructive comments are highly appreciated. Any landmines to avoid and best practices would also be appreciated.
    08-16-09 11:30 AM
    I'm excited because I finally won an 8350i through eBay. That being said, when I get it, I would like to have a plan. I am thinking that before I put a SIM card and test it, is there anything that I should backup, so that I can restore it back to its 'virgin' state?

I thought that I would start out by simply installing a known working Boost SIM and testing the voice and SMS. If that works, then test the web browser (download google maps) and, then Gmail app and finally, GPS (google maps). Not sure at what point I would need to install the service books: AmySharren's good post indicates that the service book is needed for shangmail and Google maps. Unsure if servicebooks is needed for Gmail app.

I am trying to be super cautious and would like to ask the community if testing with\ without updated service books is going to cause any problems in the future. I have done a lot of reading, but might have missed something.

Constructive comments are highly appreciated. Any landmines to avoid and best practices would also be appreciated.

You're over thinking this. All you need to do is follow my tutorial starting at step 1 and you'll be fine.

There is nothing to worry about backing up before you put a SIM in it (I'm pretty sure you can't really use it w/o a SIM inserted anyway).

You should install the service books first. You should back up your service books first, as stated in the instructions. You can do this with a "known working SIM," but if you remove the SIM card you have to do the service books all over again, from step 1. Any "testing" you do without these service books is only going to give you voice, ptt, and data IF you install Opera through BBDM.

Hundreds of us have done this to our phones using the tutorial on the sticky. There is no reason to be worried. No one has "bricked" their phone. If it doesn't work, you just start over at the beginning. The only advice I can give you is to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I have heard it helps to print them off and check them off as you go so you don't miss anything. And read the suggested downloads list and the reasons why.

EDIT: If you're wanting to restore the phone back to its "virgin" state, there are tutorials on this forum telling you how to wipe and do a fresh install. There are also tutorials on how to back up the phone including 3rd party apps.
    08-16-09 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD