As most of you here know, the only real problem i have had with this phone is the fact that my $150.xx jawbone II bluetooth wasnt ringing my ringtones. I sat around and hoped for a fix through the OS releases. but that wasn't addressed. After a message from Sprint was released concerning the echo most older devices were having without a case on it, I thought to myself, Why the heck isn't there a bluetooth fix for it yet. And so I wrote a letter to Mr.hesse, the CEO/Founder of Sprint. It was not him who replied back to me but a person who was in charge of this area. He and I had about three conversations and came to the conclusion or rather the result of my bluetooth just not being compatible. Reason why? Its not A2dp. Its something else? anyways... I just thought I'd let everyone know that there will be no sort of OS update addressing this issue. And if your Bluetooth only alerts you for calls this is why! It will only be able to with an A2DP compatible Earpiece.

Now Along my search for any Bluetooth that had this, I found that most are two eared units. Sorry to have Known this since monday but i havent been able to be too active here lately cause my new schedule is early in the morning, and now i cant stay up all night like the good lord wanted Crack heads to be. I will be adding some compatible bluetooths pictures and names. Please feel free to post any comments , tips , work-arounds, prices , deals etc... all and any info is a plus for me!

Thanks 4 your Reading time,
    JustLoveJoy!
    Last edited by justlovejoy; 03-06-09 at 05:42 PM.
    03-06-09 05:40 PM
    Hey JLJ, If you do a search on Ebay for Bluetooth A2DP headset, it comes up with a bunch. They say it is for iPhone, but it lists most of the blackberry phones on there. I would imagine they would work for us, just no DC with them. Jabra is the Manufacturer and they are going new with free shipping on Ebay for $23.50 - $30.00
    03-06-09 05:47 PM
    Oh now thats good info! but what is this no DC? like a button? I gotta call this dude back now?
    03-06-09 05:48 PM
    I guess it is just not a dedicated DC button. I have not used a bluetooth piece in a long time, so I don't know if they came out with one yet. It does have a multifuntion button and volume buttons on it. The model is a BT8040, if you wanted to look it up some more. There are some good instructional videos for it on the web.
    03-06-09 05:54 PM
    JLJ, thanks for the info. i guess i will have to give my dad my bluetrek x2 (best damn BT i have owned).

i will miss you x2....
    03-06-09 05:54 PM
    i figure i get another one and keep my Jawbone for Rainy days or Just for when i go out to nice places. it looks good in my ear! I am going for a twin ears!
    03-06-09 05:56 PM
    I have the Jabra BT3030 which is a stereo Headset. Great for the music. No need for my ipod during workouts anymnore but for dc I have to use the phone button.
    03-06-09 06:23 PM
    I have the Jabra BT3030 which is a stereo Headset. Great for the music. No need for my ipod during workouts anymnore but for dc I have to use the phone button.
    phone button? like regular ptt button? or actually use the handset for communication? You receive your ringtones via bluetooth right?
    03-06-09 06:26 PM
    the side key button (PTT) just like without headsets.
    No ringtones don't work with it either and I was told to day by the sprint exec. That it was designed that way (not to ring both) for Law Enforcement Safety. When I told him I was in LE and asked what the heck he was talking about he said for "stakeouts" sounds like sprint is watching to much tv. Makes no sense to have people leave the darn thing in your ear the whole time. He said if you leave it in your holster it will still vibrate. I will be super PO'd if they don't make it ring both with this next update. If they don't I will start a email campaign to dan hesse like he hasn't seen. We will bombard his mailbox on this issue. They think they're going to blame cops for this stupid design flaw?
    03-06-09 06:34 PM
    omg are you kidding me? the bluetooth with a2dp doesn't ring in your ear either?

Oh hellz yeah we can get this email campaign started if that's the case!
    03-06-09 06:45 PM
    I'm waiting for this update, if it doesn't address the bluetooth fiasco we have to get the troops fired up. I would love to send 100 emails to dan hesse. I know we can do that from this forum JLJ.
    03-06-09 06:51 PM
    I don't even use bluetooth and I will join in on this cause!!
    03-06-09 06:56 PM
    Thanks Quinn, we will need everybody on this one.
    03-06-09 07:01 PM
    so there is no bluetooth ringtones? not the phone but the earpieces dont put out stereo?
    03-06-09 07:47 PM
    so there is no bluetooth ringtones? not the phone but the earpieces dont put out stereo?
    Stereo for music is fine but the ringtone is that standard bluetooth one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 07:51 PM
    oh wow! now this is insulting! I cant believe they would do something so horrible to my minicon-j? this is going to be my focal point when i get up! I was so looking forward to getting a newer bluetooth. saving money and searching for the right look and fit... arghhh.... i gotta go guys! ttyl!
    03-06-09 07:56 PM
    Hey guys. JLJ, I had replied to you in a thread a while back about the S9 from Motorola. Its a one-piece stereo unit that I use all the time. DC works through the unit, you have to press the PTT button on the BB, but you talk through the headset, leaving the handset in the holster.

The ringtones won't come through the headset... MOST of the time.

The wierd thing is, when I'm listening to music on it, if I get a text message, the ringtone I have setup for MMS WILL play through the headset, on top of the music I'm listening to. But, the ringtones for phone calls won't come through.

Ya'll can count me in on the email campaign if they don't fix this in the next update. Like Alex, I'm also in law enforcement and that statement they made to him about it being a safety issue for law enforcement sounds to me like they've watched one too many episodes of Police Squad!
    Last edited by Cobra1100; 03-06-09 at 10:37 PM.
    03-06-09 10:35 PM
    Found this crap statement from sprint:

Hi kwhitefarm -

I checked the knowledge base for an answer and this is what I found:

Customers that want to use Bluetooth headsets but not place them on their ear until the call is in progress, it is recommended that they keep the device in the holster to get the vibe incoming call notification. Customer can also choose to change settings to loud or vibrate.

Instructional Note: This is working as designed and according to spec and to protect law enforcement on stakeouts.

Sarah
    Buzz About Wireless Admin
    Sprint

source:baw - 8350i Bluetooth rings only in headset - BlackBerry Smart Phones - Buzz About Wireless Forum

They are driving me nuts. Are we that stupid to leave our phones on ring if were in a situation?
    we use to have 3 options headset only/ headset&phone / phone only is that hard to do...dam
    Last edited by alex63; 03-06-09 at 10:47 PM.
    03-06-09 10:45 PM
    Geeeeeee does this mean that everyone that has a 8350i is in law enforcement now? what a weak excuse
    03-06-09 10:51 PM
    There is a java hack that got my ringtones playing through my Jawbone. Replace some files on your PC and load them with JL Commander. Got it from a guy on Pinstack about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, he got in a ****-off with the admins, left the site, and pulled his post. I lost it when I upgraded my OS. At any rate, it _is_ possible to get ringtones to play through a mono BT headset.

03-06-09 10:55 PM
    There is a java hack that got my ringtones playing through my Jawbone. Replace some files on your PC and load them with JL Commander. Got it from a guy on Pinstack about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, he got in a ****-off with the admins, left the site, and pulled his post. I lost it when I upgraded my OS. At any rate, it _is_ possible to get ringtones to play through a mono BT headset.

Well its Worth the Search, So i shall let the Search Begin!
    03-07-09 10:41 AM
    I'm searching too.
    03-07-09 11:34 AM
    here is what i found about the a2dp

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

This profile defines how high quality audio (stereo or mono) can be streamed from one device to another over a Bluetooth connection.[1] For example, music streamed from a mobile phone to a wireless headset.

A2DP was initially used in conjunction with an intermediate Bluetooth transceiver that connects to a standard audio output jack, encodes the incoming audio to a Bluetooth-friendly format, and sends the signal wirelessly to Bluetooth headphones that decode and play the audio. Many Bluetooth 1.1 and 1.2 mobile phones and portable media players do not natively support A2DP, while some newer Bluetooth 2.0 headphones do support it.

Bluetooth headphones, especially the more advanced models, often come with a microphone and support for the Headset (HSP), Hands-Free (HFP) and Audio/Video Remote Control (AVRCP) profiles.

A2DP is designed to transfer a uni-directional 2-channel stereo audio stream, like music from an MP3 player, to a headset or car radio.[2] This profile relies on AVDTP and GAVDP. It includes mandatory support for the low complexity SBC codec (not to be confused with Bluetooth's voice-signal codecs such as CVSDM), and supports optionally: MPEG-1 (usually includes MP3), MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, and ATRAC, and is extensible to support manufacturer-defined codecs. Most bluetooth stacks implement the SCMS-T digital rights management (DRM) scheme. In these cases it is possible to connect the A2DP headphones for high quality audio.

Operating systems

* Linux: Initial. A2DP support was added to BlueZ in version 3.15. The instructions to set up A2DP can be found in the BlueZ Wiki.
    * Mac OS X: As of version 10.5, Mac OS X includes native support for A2DP on Bluetooth-equipped Macs.[3] Version 10.4 does not support A2DP, but can be hacked to enable limited functionality.[4] Softick Audio Gateway for Mac OS X also supports A2DP. The iPhone variant of OS X does not have A2DP support as of January 2009.
    * Palm OS: A2DP support was introduced in 2006 by Softick with their Softick Audio Gateway shareware program.
    * Symbian Series60: Devices running Series60 3rd Edition FP1 (S60v3.1/Symbian 9.1) and newer support A2DP [5]
    * Motorola P2K: Motorola L9 running on P2K supports A2DP Profile.
    * UIQ: UIQ 3.0 (Symbian 9.1) and newer support A2DP.[5]
    * Windows Mobile (previously Pocket PC): Version 5.0 and newer (with AKU 2.0), thus far based on the Windows CE 5.0 kernel, fully support A2DP if an appropriate device is present.
    * Windows XP: Does not natively support A2DP, but newer Bluetooth USB dongles and built-in adapters include drivers with A2DP support.[6]
    * Windows Vista: Supports A2DP after installing an April 2007 update to the Bluetooth stack, which enables A2DP for supported dongles.[7] No update has been made available through Microsoft as of Feb. 13, 2008, though a Widcomm update may be available to some.
    * Windows 7: Supported.
    * BlackBerry: Supports A2DP in Operating System 4.2.
    * Android: Not supported until cupcake release.[8]

2DP is designed to transfer a uni-directional 2-channel stereo audio stream, like music from an MP3 player, to a headset or car radio. that would explain why we still cant use the headsets to TALK and LISTEN.

uni = 1 way
    talk +listen = 2 way..... not chirp
    03-07-09 01:02 PM
    now that's interesting... Very interesting!
    Thanks Casper, I really like having the specs in situations like this!
    03-07-09 04:35 PM
    Yeah... there is a fix I believe... from a while back. This is a known restriction.

Isn't this the reason that you can't play music via BT headset? I thought it was a BB issue.
    03-07-09 04:42 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD