Ok, yesterday the BB fell into water, I did the overnight rice trick and it seems to have dried out ok, its receiving calls (incoming caller id shows up fine on screen), emails and texts, (all icons present) but I can't use the keypad at all, I can't even unlock the BB.

The screen also seems to turn itself off, when not in use

If I roll the trackball I get the unlock/emergencycall box but the keypad won't let me do anything else.

Any ideas? Thanks
    07-13-08 01:03 AM
    The BB needs the infamous Viking funeral.........soak it in lighter fluid and set it ablaze.........

BB Math:

Water + BB = SBED Syndrome (Swimming BlackBerry Equals Death)

Sorry........but I believe it is TOAST.....
    07-13-08 01:08 AM
    I agree. Seems like there is nothing else you can do for your poor bb. I hope you had insurance.
    07-13-08 01:11 AM
    No insurance, that's what's so annoying
    07-13-08 01:14 AM
    R.i.p......
    07-13-08 01:14 AM
    Seriously I am sorry for you....scavenge the parts off of it (case, screen etc.) and PLEAD with your carrier to hook you up....

Good Luck
    07-13-08 01:22 AM
    I really thought luck would be on my side ... obviously not!
    There was a glimmer of hope as it all lit up.
    Off to the store as soon as they open in 3 hrs 2 mins ...
    07-13-08 01:29 AM
    No insurance, that's what's so annoying
    BlackBerry, wet, now dry, now sol.
    I feel your pain
    07-13-08 02:55 AM
    You have faced my biggest fear since I purchased my curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 07:09 AM
    This time GET INSURANCE!!

Don't leave your baby unprotected.
    07-13-08 07:13 AM
    Insurance Insurance Insurance. I'm to clumsy to not have it. And I've had to return 5 BB's so Insurance is a MUST!!! So worth the extra $5 a month

07-13-08 10:33 AM
    Everyone thinks it can't happen to them. Then one day, when you're least expecting it, WHAM!!!, your berry decides to run off and take a dip. You don't know what to do. You try to dive in after her but she's already hit the malicious liquid. Now you can only wish you had bought that insurance. You take the berry home and attempt to nurse her back to health but sometimes berries just don't bounce back from taking their first swim.

Now what? Now you have a permanently ill berry that doesn't do all she did before. Someone suggested stripping her for parts and buying a new berry. WTH!!??! Would you do that with a child if they became disabled? (Eh, we'll just have another and keep this one in the closet in case we need a liver or kidney).

Some of us are stuck in a pretty precarious position when it comes to insurance though. My berry was born back in December of '07 and I was unable to get insurance on her through the hospital that gave her birth (at&t). I purchased 3rd party insurance and was happy until recently when the original hospital started offering insurance on newborn berries. My 3rd party insurance company stopped carrying insurance because at&t put them out of business so now she's without any insurance at all. I called at&t and they said that unless the berry was born within the last 30 days I was still unable to get insurance from them. So now I have a berry from a company that offers insurance on berries but won't cover mine because she's too old yet the company I had insurance through stopped covering her because a major corporation drove them out of the business.

I think I'll just go sit in the corner and cry.
    07-13-08 10:38 AM
    Insurance Insurance Insurance. I'm to clumsy to not have it. And I've had to return 5 BB's so Insurance is a MUST!!! So worth the extra $5 a month
    Wow, how long have you had your BB? Tmo limits insurance claims to 2 in a consecutive 12 month period.
    07-13-08 11:19 AM
    Everyone thinks it can't happen to them. Then one day, when you're least expecting it, WHAM!!!, your berry decides to run off and take a dip. You don't know what to do. You try to dive in after her but she's already hit the malicious liquid. Now you can only wish you had bought that insurance. You take the berry home and attempt to nurse her back to health but sometimes berries just don't bounce back from taking their first swim.

Now what? Now you have a permanently ill berry that doesn't do all she did before. Someone suggested stripping her for parts and buying a new berry. WTH!!??! Would you do that with a child if they became disabled? (Eh, we'll just have another and keep this one in the closet in case we need a liver or kidney).

Some of us are stuck in a pretty precarious position when it comes to insurance though. My berry was born back in December of '07 and I was unable to get insurance on her through the hospital that gave her birth (at&t). I purchased 3rd party insurance and was happy until recently when the original hospital started offering insurance on newborn berries. My 3rd party insurance company stopped carrying insurance because at&t put them out of business so now she's without any insurance at all. I called at&t and they said that unless the berry was born within the last 30 days I was still unable to get insurance from them. So now I have a berry from a company that offers insurance on berries but won't cover mine because she's too old yet the company I had insurance through stopped covering her because a major corporation drove them out of the business.

I think I'll just go sit in the corner and cry.
    Damn, that is really sad. Start backing up your BB with applications and all, wait for the new BB to come out and get it, that way, you can get insurance on the new one and either sell or keep yours for backup. I would be very pi$$ed off if I were you and this happens to me. Since your BB was born in 07, is it safe to assume that in 2009, you would be eligible for a new phone upgrade or for a discount on a new phone? Check with your employer and see if they offer any discounts.
    07-13-08 11:20 AM
    Really. I've had my BB service since like October...havnt had to pay yet

07-13-08 11:21 AM
    Then you aren't filing insurance claims, you're getting warranty exchanges if you aren't paying a deducible every time you get a new phone.

And yes, Morenina, it is very sad. Thank you for your condolences.
    07-13-08 11:24 AM
    try this ONLY if you have given up all hope and you plan on using it for parts anyway.

go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of DISTILLED water. When you get home remove battery, sim card, memory card, etc... Then slowly pour the distilled water through the BB. Lay it on a towel and soak up all of the liquid you can from it. Then place it in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Longer if you can. Then battery up and give it a try.

Distilled water is much, much, much less conductive than tap or well water and the fridge works much like your air conditioner and dries things out. DO NOT USE THE FREEZER. it will only turn the water to ice which will thaw upon removal.

Good luck
    07-13-08 11:27 AM
    try this ONLY if you have given up all hope and you plan on using it for parts anyway.

go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of DISTILLED water. When you get home remove battery, sim card, memory card, etc... Then slowly pour the distilled water through the BB. Lay it on a towel and soak up all of the liquid you can from it. Then place it in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Longer if you can. Then battery up and give it a try.

Distilled water is much, much, much less conductive than tap or well water and the fridge works much like your air conditioner and dries things out. DO NOT USE THE FREEZER. it will only turn the water to ice which will thaw upon removal.

Good luck
    100% denatured alcohol is faster and will almost immediately evaporate dry......however I think the BB is DOA..........I still vote for the Viking funeral
    07-13-08 11:46 AM
    Then you aren't filing insurance claims, you're getting warranty exchanges if you aren't paying a deducible every time you get a new phone.

And yes, Morenina, it is very sad. Thank you for your condolences.
    Having the option to have a replacement for $50.00 beats having to come up with the full price. I only have phones on insurance for a year, after that, I take it off as I had a whole year to save up for a new phone of my choice.

I pay for the convenience, not because I think its nice to get a refurbished phone.
    07-13-08 12:25 PM
    The first part of my reply about warranty exchanges was aimed at garrettth10 when he said....

Really. I've had my BB service since like October...havnt had to pay yet
    Since he said he's replaced his phone 5 times in that time frame.
    07-13-08 01:16 PM
    Ok, here's a quick update, I went to my provider explained situation and they wanted �335 handset! After shopping around I got one elsewhere (unlocked) for �295 (silver, not grey), was very happy, slotted in sim and memory card and was once again mobile. Expensive mistake I know.

But, until it came to transfering the data from old device to new, I have spent 7 hours online, on the phone and have now given up, it seems there is a fault on the new device, I have now put SIM etc back in old (which is working fine with the exception of the "space" key) am returning the new handset tomorrow and will just cross my fingers that the old one goes on for a while longer.

Will be requesting insurance tomorrow, just in case I drop or lose it :-)

What a day!
    07-13-08 02:23 PM
    I have a trick for u to try... first take BB apart, get a bottle of 70% Isopropyl Alchohol fill glass wil alchohol and dip phone in Dont so past the sim card slot.. take out and wipe it off and stand it up some where... Then go turn on oven at lowest setting 160 to 170 degress and put phone on a cookie sheet and let it sit for 15 to 20 min.. take out and let it cool off for 8 min and try.. I restore 5 bb like this already... 1 fell in the bottom of a pool for 10 min..
    08-06-08 04:39 PM
    The BB needs the infamous Viking funeral.........soak it in lighter fluid and set it ablaze.........

BB Math:

Water + BB = SBED Syndrome (Swimming BlackBerry Equals Death)

Sorry........but I believe it is TOAST.....
    First of all this is hilarious this is exactly how my BB is going out.

Secondly yeah I got an idea maybe you dropped your device in some water which is why it isn't working properly. You are showing tell tale signs of the device being in water. (Some things work and others don't)
    08-06-08 05:14 PM
    Does insurance replace for water damage? Isn't that why they have the indicators on the battery?
    08-06-08 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD