I have had a look around the www for the last few days and I am yet to find any information that is of any help to me.

I have a 'sim only' deal with Virgin media with no internet access. I have recently started my own business and thought 'Hey! It would be great to be able get my emails on the move', so I bought a Blackberry. Now, I phoned Virgin and explained I had bought one and they told me they do not support Blackberry emails?!?! But if i changed me package to include internet access I could get wifi and wap on the move easy enough, and yes, I now can. But still no email, I get a message about a BBES when i go through the set up wizard but do not know what this means and Virgin didn't seem to have any idea either.

Any information on this would be of great help!

THANK U

DAN
    09-01-09 05:44 AM
    I thought Virgin Mobile ran on Sprint's CDMA network and didn't use a SIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 08:46 AM
    Virgin USA or Virgin Europe?

In the US, Virgin and Sprint are partners, and Virgin runs off of Sprint's CDMA Network. Sprint is purported to be purchasing Virgin Mobile USA.

In Europe, Virgin Mobile runs on GSM Networks.
    Last edited by pauldriver; 09-06-09 at 09:41 PM.
    09-06-09 09:37 PM
    The problem is that Virgin do not have a BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) option which is required for consumers to hook into their email accounts. It 'talks' to your email account and 'pushes' any emails it finds through to your Blackberry. If you were running Exchange then you could look at BES (the enterprise bit of the email facilities) but it ain't cheap.

Without this service you're Blackberry has nothing to talk to for its emails, it doesn't work like most other phones which have an option for setting up POP3 or IMAP4 accounts. You could probably access your webmail interface via the browser assuming you have one (Hotmail etc) but this somewhat misses the point.

Your best option, as you're on sim only and you're not tied into a contract (right?), is to ditch the Virgin sim and get on on Orange, O2, Voda or T-Mobile. They all have sim only options and they all have Blackberry data options. Job done...

Hope this makes sense but any questions give me a shout.

Thanks

Danny B
    09-07-09 01:48 PM
    Hey, I just found out about the Virgin Mobile Blackberry deal, but I bought the Blackberry Curve 8520 without knowing this. I would really like a Virgin Mobile one. If anyone is looking to trade, I'm up for it! It's with T-mobile.
    05-25-10 09:25 AM
    I'm with Virgin Mobile UK and yes it does have BIS and instant push emails, internet, MSN etc...

The only bad thing about Virgin Mobile UK which runs on the T-Mobile network is that it's not EDGE, it's GRPS. But still the price and customer support is great so that's why I'm with them. I just wish they would upgrade to EDGE!!

The price for Virgin is also very good, they did a deal since I use them for my house too.

Wouldn't use o2 again.
    05-25-10 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD