I installed the CD on the computer and hooked up the cable and the phone, so how do I know when there are new updates?

How do the backup and restore functions work? I did a backup on the phone when I first got it (yesterday) the software created a file backup (the date).ipd If there is something wrong with the phone, do I go to the restore portion of the CD and upload that file?

How often should I be doing backups?
    08-10-09 10:03 PM
    What version of Desktop Manager was on the CD? When you open DM, the version number is displayed in the lower left corner.

Version 4.7 and 5.0 automatically check the internet for updates for both the Desktop Software and your Handheld software.

You should be making backups as often as you can stand to lose your data/contacts/messages. Doing a Restore from a backup file only recovers everything that was in your BB at the time the backup was done. So if the backup is a month old, everything since that last backup will not be there after you restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 10:09 PM
    What version of Desktop Manager was on the CD? When you open DM, the version number is displayed in the lower left corner.

Version 4.7 and 5.0 automatically check the internet for updates for both the Desktop Software and your Handheld software.

You should be making backups as often as you can stand to lose your data/contacts/messages. Doing a Restore from a backup file only recovers everything that was in your BB at the time the backup was done. So if the backup is a month old, everything since that last backup will not be there after you restore.

I have DM v4.5... So how do i get v4.7 or v5.0?

So when i want to do a restore, jsut click on restore, then it will ask me what file i want to upload? Then i choose the one with the newest date? Is that how it works?

What else can i do with the DM??? I haev no idea where my pics are even stored. I was browsing around a little bit to find then and couldn't
    08-10-09 10:17 PM
    DM 4.5 is fine, checking for updates is both a blessing and a curse. Lol.

If you hang out on CB you won't miss any updates.

Yes, that is how you would do a restore from a backup file.

You can also, upgrade your OS, add/remove applications and themes using DM software.

To find your pics, go to Media, Pictures. Or Media, Menu (bb key), Explore and navigate to either Media Card or Device Memory/Pictures folder.

08-10-09 10:26 PM
    Read the 101 Lecture Series

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry

08-10-09 10:28 PM
    DM 4.5 is fine, checking for updates is both a blessing and a curse. Lol.

If you hang out on CB you won't miss any updates.

Yes, that is how you would do a restore from a backup file.

You can also, upgrade your OS, add/remove applications and themes using DM software.

To find your pics, go to Media, Pictures. Or Media, Menu (bb key), Explore and navigate to either Media Card or Device Memory/Pictures folder.

I know how to find my pics/videos on my phone. I am talking about the DM, i can not find my pics/vids on that....
    08-11-09 01:52 AM
    Found under Media Manager in DM...you connect your BB to your computer, open DM, click on Media Mgr (Roxio), then drag/drop them into it. Located on your C drive in your Program Files.
    08-11-09 09:33 AM
    Roxio Media Manager is an optional download. Once you have it installed, it will see the contents of Device Memory.

Device memory is limited, it is terrible waste of precious memory when used to save pictures or music.

Install a Media Card and use that with Windows, as a removable drive.
    08-11-09 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD