Hi:

Here is a problem I posted several days ago to Blackberry Forums. No responses! Maybe you all can help:

1. I'm giving up my Curve 9320 in favour of an Android and switching to a new carrier.

2. My Curve has about 100 contacts. I wanted to export them all to Gmail. Did lots of web research and settled on the most-suggested method: Blackberry -> Outlook Express. Outlook Express --> Gmail.

3. Somehow messed up the export. Now I have NO contacts in the Blackberry (or in Outlook or Gmail). Panic.

4. Logged onto Blackberry Protect (from my desktop computer) and see that there is a backup file with all my 100+ contacts. Thank you, Blackberry.

5. From my device, when I opened "Blackberry Protect" and tried "restoring", the screen froze on "Initializing". Looked online for solutions to this problem.

6. Tried:
    a) Battery Pull: no result.
    b) Uninstalled/ Re-Installed Blackberry Protect (v. 1.1.1.76-p): The app prompted me to select various settings, but then froze on "Connecting to Blackberry Service."
    c) Deleted Blackberry Protect and Re-Installed. Same outcome as b) above

7. So now: I don't have any contacts, but I do have backups of everything (in Protect, on Blackberry's server). I don't have a working version of Blackberry Protect on my device in order to restore the data. [Note: I also don't have a carrier for my Curve at the moment (discontinued it when switching phones) but I seem to be able to do everything else I need on WiFi.] After restoring that contact data, I'm still hoping to export it all to Gmail, but that's another Forum topic.

What do you recommend?

Device: Curve 9320
    Carrier: Mobilicity (formerly) - now discontinued but device operational through WiFi
    OS version: 7.1 Bundle
    02-15-14 11:55 AM
    HI there, welcome to CrackBerry! To be able to use protect, you need BlackBerry Internet Service active on your phone. Not only wifi.
    02-15-14 02:04 PM
    Thanks Zocster. OK, so I'll need to reconnect data service for the device in order to restore data with BB Protect.

Would I also need to have a phone plan for the device in order for Protect to restore? And if so, do I need to have the same phone number as before to execute the restore?
    02-15-14 02:46 PM