10-03-11 04:04 AM
35 12
tools
    I installed blackberry maps on my curve. I can see it in the settings but not in applications menu itself. I read that some companies like ATT lock their curve from using blackberry maps. Is this also true of sprint?

Also is there any way of installing Google Maps via the USB data cable?

thanks
    05-17-08 10:15 PM
    I'm not aware of any carrier other than AT&T blocking BBMaps at this time. Try a battery pull. That likely will make it appear.

Google Maps can only be installed over the air.
    05-17-08 10:32 PM
    thanks but it still doesn't work
    05-18-08 10:11 AM
    Uninstall it, do the battery pull, and install it again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 11:38 AM
    still nothing
    05-18-08 06:44 PM
    Sorry if this is too obvious, but it's worth asking: did you by any chance look at all the icons on your Home screen to see if a picture of a compass shows up?
    05-18-08 07:38 PM
    I did and its not on the home screen but it is listed in the list of applications in the options menu
    05-18-08 08:28 PM
    If you "Show All" from the home screen, does it show up? I've never heard of an app installing itself as hidden, but I suppose it could happen.

What theme are you using? Try switching to another them and see what changes.
    05-18-08 09:39 PM
    im using the standard theme and have the home screen set to show all
    05-18-08 10:16 PM
    When you click Options/Advanced Options/Applications/Blackberry Maps, what version do you see? I have 1.2.30
    When you click the entry, do you have 4 modules? I have these:
    net_rim_bb_lbs
    net_rim_bb_lbs_api
    net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon
    net_rim_bb_lbs_resource_en
    05-18-08 10:48 PM
    I have version 2.0.26

Modules:
    net_rim_bb_lbs
    net_rim_bb_lbs_api
    05-18-08 11:07 PM
    Very interesting. I've heard of BBMaps 2.0, but you're the first person I've encountered that has it.

What OS version are you running? In Options/Advanced Options/Service Book, do you have an entry for BBMaps or Blackberry Maps? I don't, and I'm wondering if 2.0 requires it.
    05-19-08 12:11 AM
    im running os 4.3.0.127 and i dont have any entries in my service book
    05-19-08 07:25 PM
    mr bb, Telus people are still having issues with their BB Maps.. BB Maps will work out of the blue for 10 mins. Then not at all for a month..
    The only GPS app that works 100% for us is Telus Navigator...
    05-19-08 07:28 PM
    Thanks Timewalk. This had me stumped. Mr bb, I'm very sorry, but it appears your problems exceed my ability to help. Should you decide to purchase an external GPS, I can recommend the Freedom Keychain 2000.
    05-19-08 08:10 PM
    mr bb, Telus people are still having issues with their BB Maps.. BB Maps will work out of the blue for 10 mins. Then not at all for a month..
    The only GPS app that works 100% for us is Telus Navigator...
    My BB Maps works every now and then, my Telus nav works about 80% of the time. I called Telus with another issue and mentioned this to the CSR, he told me Telus Nav shouldn't work at all for the 8330 since it wasn't made for the 8330...yet they'll still charge us an extra $10 a month to use an unsupported program...makes sense?
    05-19-08 09:11 PM
    oh ok thank you all for the help. the only question I have is- does this mean that BB maps simply has not been updated to work properly with the 8330 or has the carrier blocked it?

Using google maps should still work though? For some reason whenever i enter my phone number in google to send me the app; it says "Due to connectivity issues, a message cannot be sent to your number."
    05-19-08 09:44 PM
    If you go to Google from your bb browser, with the browser set to emulate blackberry, and click the download Google maps link, you shouldn't have to enter a phone number. It should just download. Odd...
    05-19-08 09:52 PM
    just to inform everyone in case someone else has this issue.

Today I called and purchased the sprint blackberry pack data plan and now maps appears in the home screen and works perfectly.
    05-20-08 08:20 PM
    You mean all the time we spent trouble-shooting, and you didn't have a data plan! Obviously we didn't ask the right question first. Glad you got it resolved, and it's a lesson learned (again) not to assume when trouble-shooting!
    05-20-08 11:46 PM
    This is a variation on the problem of "BBMaps on an AT&T 8310" and maybe also one of those insoluble ATT mysteries. I too was given the "you gotta buy TeleNav" line after asking why I didn't have BBMaps. I swallowed it and bought TeleNav. I just completed John Clark's excellent "How To" set up maximum memory and while doing it added BBMaps (1.2.26), exactly following his directions (downloading the current appropriate Desktop Manager and Device OS versions). So now I can find BBMaps in the Options/Advanced/Applications folder but the icon (I believe it should be a compass) doesn't appear. Thus, I cannot launch the program.

The modules that appear in the Properties folder are:
    net_rim_bb_lbs
    net_rim_bb_lps_api

And for what it's worth, there are no entries for BBMap in the Service Book.

Oh, and after doing all of the above, I pulled the battery while the unit was running, waited five minutes and replaced it, with no change in outcome.

It seems that in reading other threads on this topic that other AT&T subscribers have been able to find and run the program, some with apparently no problem. I'd really like to see if BBMaps is as useful as TeleNav without the subscription fee, but I'm stumped.
    06-07-08 02:36 PM
    ...So now I can find BBMaps in the Options/Advanced/Applications folder but the icon (I believe it should be a compass) doesn't appear. Thus, I cannot launch the program.

The modules that appear in the Properties folder are:
    net_rim_bb_lbs
    net_rim_bb_lps_api

And for what it's worth, there are no entries for BBMap in the Service Book.

Oh, and after doing all of the above, I pulled the battery while the unit was running, waited five minutes and replaced it, with no change in outcome.
    Compared to my properties, you are missing the net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon module. I have version 1.2.30, so it's possible that explains the additional module. 1.2.30 is what came with my 8830, so I don't have a 1.2.26 to compare to. I also have no BBMaps service books.

The BBMaps icon is a small compass superimposed on the upper left corner of a wrinkled, color map.
    06-07-08 03:04 PM
    Try this link
    How to: Get BB Maps on 8310 - PinStack.com - BlackBerry forums

it helped me. i had the same problem where bb maps appeared in aplications but not on my screen. i am now able to run bb maps. hope this helps
    06-08-08 12:33 PM
    Well, that did it! I had to download it from the Blackberry site again because even though I deleted that "102|" entry I still didn't have that ribbons file which displays the icon and is the link to run the program.

Just playing around with the BB Masps app for a few minutes makes me think I can unsubcribe to the TeleNav and not miss a thing.

Corporate "partnerships", like that between AT&T and Telenav, are very incestuous things. The US is so ****ed up re: the stranglehold that the carriers have on us. We spend premium bucks to own one of these sophisticated devices then are blocked from using its full potential because the carrier wants us to buy another "service" so their profit line will be further enhanced and our pocketbooks wastefully depleted.

Thanks for all the clever and dedicated users like on this forum!
    06-08-08 02:05 PM
    Thanks for posting that link. I'll remember that one for the next time.
    06-08-08 02:37 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD