Hi there.

I was given my first Blackberry (Curve 9300) last week and yet to sign upto the Blackberry service (using operators APN and WiFi).

It seems when in less than perfect areas of my home and when using the BB over WiFi at home it seems to cause the WiFi access point to randomly shut down resulting in all connected devices (Laptop, smart TV etc) to disconnect. The AP status shows OK, the only way of recorrecting this is to cycle the power on the AP.

I am running OS 6.0 Bundle 2949 (v6.0.0.668 Platform 6.6.0.223) running on GiffGaff network

The AP is a Devolo dLAN 500 WiFi.

Any ideas?

Andy
    10-20-13 04:56 AM
    It should not be possible for one connected device on a WiFi to cause other devices to disconnect or shut down. The worst case scenario would be one of the devices running wild and saturating your broadband bandwidth - but that should only impact connection to the outside world because the LAN (WiFi) bandwidth almost always more capacity than the broadband particularly if you have wandered into a weak Wifi area.

I think it is more likely the external broadband link is going down between your router and the ISP, particularly if your router is an older model and doesn't support the latest ADSL2+ protocols. I had a lot of problems with this recently at home and in the office (the clue was both locations suddenly started dropping DSL within about 10 days) after Blitish Tellycom tried upgrading equipment, and fixed it with two somewhat expensive new routers If I'm right you should be able to check this easily, the WiFi will be working as far as your router and you can login and check the router's online status but you will have no access past the router to see to Internet.
    10-20-13 06:07 AM
    Thanks for your reply. It has just happened again just now. My Laptop looked like it was trying to connect to the AP and was rejecting the password and TV reported losing internet connection. As I use Cable internet I can only use the router Virgin Media provide. I'm using the Develo (Power line Adaptor) to extend the WiFi signal and the wireless turned off on the Virgin router.

I will try turning on the WiFi on the router to see if it is the Power line adaptors or the routers.
    10-20-13 02:14 PM
    Seems it might have been the LAN extenders. I have used an airport extreme in Bridge mode and so far everything is now stable.
    10-21-13 05:56 PM
    From what it see it seems there is a problem relating what I thought was the Blackberry WiFi encryption stack on certain Wireless APs that is causing the my APs to bomb out. From the look of it the same problem occurs with the BT Infinity hub, only resolved by cycling the power on the Hub.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Br...-2/td-p/374977

The above symptom exsactly what I am getting with my Devono PLAs

From the article above they basically recommend fixing the WiFi Chanel and not allowing it to be set to Auto.
    Last edited by amtrakuk; 02-19-14 at 07:04 PM. Reason: WiFi chanel update
    02-19-14 06:08 PM
    Nope doesnt appear to be the wifi channel. After about an hour with it set to chamnel 9 and listening to Internet radio the wifi kicked out again. Very frustrating. Back to my knackered galaxy 2
    02-19-14 08:14 PM
    Seems to be the WiFi APs... I have changed to Netgear PLAs and so far no drop outs after about a week.
    02-26-14 11:25 AM
    Try again.... the Netgear PLAs are tripping out. I have switched back to my Devono PLA and have changed from WPA2 to WPA and so far so good. I have put the blackberry in a known dead spot and started to play a streaming radio program. Its been runnning all evening all ok so maybe this is the cause. Reading Difference Between WPA and WPA2 | Difference Between | WPA vs WPA2 it seems WPA2 utilises AES algorithum but needs more brain power. My blackberry being an older handset I assume cannot handle the extra maths
    03-08-14 07:20 PM