What does UMA mean on the BlackBerry Curve 8900? I know it's possible to make phone calls using the wifi connexion.. but my question is, how does it works? These minutes are counted on my cell phone plan? is it like regular data, so the phone calls are free of charges? What's the UMA advantage, is it possible to make long distance call or international call for cheaper (or free?).

Anyone can help me with that or refer me to a thread about this (I haven't found)

I'm using my Curve 8900 on Rogers network, I don't pay for the Roger's Wireless Spot, and I have a 6GB/month data plan.

Thanks a lot
    07-06-09 05:18 PM
    Calls through UMA go through WIFI, however they are still billed against your cellular minutes because the traffic that allows you to keep your phone #, go through Rogers' UMA infrastructure.

Pretty much sums it up.
    07-06-09 05:20 PM
    you sound like you really know your stuff sniffs..........hail techky
    07-06-09 06:47 PM
    UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access.

It provides a second pathway for your BlackBerry. That can be very handy when your signal strength is not up to the task of keeping you connected.

You are still accessing the same plan, there is no data advantage or unlimited calling without the subscription.

International use is one huge advantage. No matter where in the World you are, you have access to your plan and data.
    07-06-09 07:34 PM
    esperz, I've been testing/playing with UMA for 2-3 months now. By making some calls, recording the times, and waiting for the bill the following month. Hope this info helps.

If u get the rogers talk spot plan, (15$/month) all of your local and long distances calls in canada are free if u dial from home or anywhere connected to wifi (assuming your phone actually has the UMA symbol on in the top right hand corner when u are calling) I've test this @ my house, my friends house, and places with wifi. They all worked. If you start a call from a UMA area, u can walk/run/drive away from ur wifi and the call will continue on, and it will still show on ur bill as a UMA call. but realistically I get disconnected usually about 5-10min after, not sure maybe I'm just driving through a spot with low signal or rogers cuts me off. (Still under investigation, LOL)

Secondly, you will get your early evenings starting @ 5pm. (you don't need to be connected to wifi for this) I think this is $9 alone as a add-on if ur evening starts @ 9pm.

Thirdly, if your calling international with UMA on, then you will get the international long distances saver rates. After talking to 6 rogers rep stating that it's not included in the package, I finally talk to 1 that comfirmed it. I just got my bill a few days ago, I called Vietnam and got charged 37cent a minute instead of $1.47/min. So it works. (I also got the rep that confirmed it to make a note on my account of this, and called in the next day to ask another rep was there a note on my account, just incase I was charged the regular rates)

I will be travelling to asia this Sept. for 6-8months and will test to see if I can get free calls to anywhere in Canada when I'm over there. If it does work I'll be calling all my friends more often. They might end up blocking my number. lol.. But if any1 have tried this already, let me know what result u get.. I'm getting mixed reviews reading everyones post. About 75% says yes and 25% says no. I guess I'll find out myself eventually.

Again hope this helps.
    07-08-09 06:28 AM
    Thanks a lot for all your replies, I'm going to Guatemala in August, I'll make a couple of phone calls to my home using UMA and I'll see on my bill if it's like a local call, or an international one.
    07-08-09 01:24 PM
    Thanks a lot for all your replies, I'm going to Guatemala in August, I'll make a couple of phone calls to my home using UMA and I'll see on my bill if it's like a local call, or an international one.
    When UMA is active, voice and data will be available, just like back in Canada. That includes your email and messeger too.

However, My TalkSpot unlimited National calling plan is excluded from unlimited International calling. That leaves me using regular Anytime minunits. Still, sure beats the old school roaming charges.
    07-08-09 01:48 PM
    esperz,

Will u be subscribe to the rogers talk spot plan? and if you are going to test the international calling from oversea, can u test 1 with mobile network on and 1 with it off to see what the price difference is. Thanks..
    07-08-09 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD