I'm thinking about getting either the Blackberry Curve 8530 or the Tour.... but i wanted to see what others thought... I have done some research on both, I like the fact that the Curve 8530 doesnt have a trackball but i have had other devices that have had the trackball.....

Advice would be much appreciated!
    03-14-10 01:32 PM
    Uuuhhhh......... Tour.
    03-14-10 01:46 PM
    Any particular reason why? I was in a store yesterday and the guy said that the device after awhile is very slow and such, so im just trying to figure out which device isnt going to slow down on me.
    03-14-10 01:53 PM
    Go with the tour if you want a better screen and camera flash or if you want/need wifi then go with the 8530.
    03-14-10 02:12 PM
    Get the Tour. It has a high resolution screen, 3.2 MP camera and faster internet.

The Curve has the trackpad and wifi.

I'd take the Tour. Also, about it slowing down its not supposed to do that. If you leave multiple apps running in the background thatll happen otherwise its all good.

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 02:15 PM
    If you rely on the phone for your email and internet I would go with the curve. The wifi is awesome and you can always get your email and internet. Also you might want to look into the forums here cause there is talk that the tour will be discontinued shortly. Plus the trackpa is much better then the trackball.
    03-14-10 02:18 PM
    I bought a Tour on ebay a while back because I was wanting to save my upgrade for the 9650. Right after, we got news that it had been scrapped and they're turning it into a Bold now and it'll be a few months before it's even out. I decided I wasn't going to wait, so I then had to figure out which phone I wanted to use my upgrade on.

I used the Tour for a few weeks, and then decided I would try out the 8530 using my upgrade.

This is what I liked better about it (as opposed to the Tour):
    * Speed. This thing is FAST.
    * Trackpad. It's a little piece of heaven.
    * WiFi - It's just nice to have.
    * Lightweight, slim build. I didn't think it was at all "cheap" feeling overall. In my opinion, the only cheap things about this phone are the keypad and camera.
    * The designated music buttons at the top of the phone

This is what I liked better about the Tour:
    * Screen Resolution: It's a huge difference between the 8530 and the Tour. The Tour is just so much better.
    * Keypad: The keys are so much softer and quiter on the Tour. It's easier for me to hit the right keys, and I can text without even looking at them. (I can't do that on any Curve.)
    * CAMERA. The 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus AND flash on here just blows the 8530 away. It's definitely the best camera I've had on any phone.
    * Physical appearance
    * More available for it (accessories, themes, etc.)
    * Battery life
    * Call Quality

I absolutely HATED the camera on the Curve. It was literally useless for me unless I was outside on a sunny day. Even then though, there was grain and noise in the pictures. Indoors, colors were nonexistant, lines blurred, tons of noise and grain, etc. Even with no flash I expect so much better on a smart phone camera. It was by far the worst camera I've ever had on a phone; even on my first camera (dumb)phone I had 6 years ago. Absolutely terrible.

Didn't like the keypad much. Too hard to press the keys and they made too much noise. The Tour is almost silent when you text and it's nearly effortless to depress the keys.

My 8530 also had very poor call quality. There was a lot of "line noise" and the voice on the other end always sounded tinny, no matter how much I messed with the call settings.

In the end, I went with the Tour. I'm re-selling the one I bought on ebay and bought a new one from Verizon using my upgrade. Yesterday was my first full day of use and by the time I was ready for bed and it had been off the charger for 14 hours, I was still at 60% charge with moderate/heavy use throughout the day. That amazed me. My 8330 didn't even do that well. The 8530 lasted about 12-14 hours before needing to be charged. I'm happy with my choice and feel it was the right one for me.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by mojo pin; 03-14-10 at 02:39 PM.
    03-14-10 02:32 PM
    it did thank you very much!
    03-14-10 03:03 PM
    I don't use my camera much, and don't really need a huge screen. That's why I went with the 8530. I have had it about a month and couldn't be happier with it.

03-14-10 03:10 PM
    The only reason to choose the Curve over the Tour is cost. It has a horrible screen and is cheap shiny plastic. The Tour trackball works fine and WiFi is not really useful on a BB in my opinion since the web browser is so primitive anyway.

03-14-10 05:56 PM
    I bought a Tour on ebay a while back because I was wanting to save my upgrade for the 9650. Right after, we got news that it had been scrapped and they're turning it into a Bold now and it'll be a few months before it's even out. I decided I wasn't going to wait, so I then had to figure out which phone I wanted to use my upgrade on.

I used the Tour for a few weeks, and then decided I would try out the 8530 using my upgrade.

This is what I liked better about it (as opposed to the Tour):
    * Speed. This thing is FAST.
    * Trackpad. It's a little piece of heaven.
    * WiFi - It's just nice to have.
    * Lightweight, slim build. I didn't think it was at all "cheap" feeling overall. In my opinion, the only cheap things about this phone are the keypad and camera.
    * The designated music buttons at the top of the phone

This is what I liked better about the Tour:
    * Screen Resolution: It's a huge difference between the 8530 and the Tour. The Tour is just so much better.
    * Keypad: The keys are so much softer and quiter on the Tour. It's easier for me to hit the right keys, and I can text without even looking at them. (I can't do that on any Curve.)
    * CAMERA. The 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus AND flash on here just blows the 8530 away. It's definitely the best camera I've had on any phone.
    * Physical appearance
    * More available for it (accessories, themes, etc.)
    * Battery life
    * Call Quality

I absolutely HATED the camera on the Curve. It was literally useless for me unless I was outside on a sunny day. Even then though, there was grain and noise in the pictures. Indoors, colors were nonexistant, lines blurred, tons of noise and grain, etc. Even with no flash I expect so much better on a smart phone camera. It was by far the worst camera I've ever had on a phone; even on my first camera (dumb)phone I had 6 years ago. Absolutely terrible.

Didn't like the keypad much. Too hard to press the keys and they made too much noise. The Tour is almost silent when you text and it's nearly effortless to depress the keys.

My 8530 also had very poor call quality. There was a lot of "line noise" and the voice on the other end always sounded tinny, no matter how much I messed with the call settings.

In the end, I went with the Tour. I'm re-selling the one I bought on ebay and bought a new one from Verizon using my upgrade. Yesterday was my first full day of use and by the time I was ready for bed and it had been off the charger for 14 hours, I was still at 60% charge with moderate/heavy use throughout the day. That amazed me. My 8330 didn't even do that well. The 8530 lasted about 12-14 hours before needing to be charged. I'm happy with my choice and feel it was the right one for me.

Hope that helps!
    well done very detailed.
    03-14-10 07:27 PM
    I agree with that Thats the post that made my decision....sorta...But final decision everyone!!!!! The Tour!

Okay do we have any 8830 World Edition that upgraded to the Tour in the house?? just curious as to what the mAH of the 8830 is compared to the Tour battery wise...or if its the same....
    03-14-10 07:31 PM
    Go with the Tour. It's much more well equipped.
    03-14-10 07:34 PM
    I did. The Tours battery life is great but the 8830 was incredible. The Tour will survive a day of moderately heavy use or a couple days of light use.

I agree with that Thats the post that made my decision....sorta...But final decision everyone!!!!! The Tour!

Okay do we have any 8830 World Edition that upgraded to the Tour in the house?? just curious as to what the mAH of the 8830 is compared to the Tour battery wise...or if its the same....
    03-14-10 08:23 PM
    Mojo pin covered the bases. So I'll just say that as long as you get a good one, you can't go wrong with either. I'm biased though. Get a Tour!

03-14-10 08:56 PM
    Tour.......

03-14-10 09:35 PM
    After using both of the devices I had decided to go with the 8530...even though i was veryyyy skeptical about getting it.
    03-14-10 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD