I just deleted Opera Mini because I was thinking I don't go to enough full blown websites to benefit from it, and it takes forever to scrolll through pages, etc. I like Opera Mini overall but I really like the default browser and feel like it's a bit faster at least it seems that way.

Anyway I bank through Commerce Bank and for some reason I had no problem whatsoever logging into my online banking website with Opera Mini but on the default browser I get to the banking log-in page and I can't even click in the box to fill my user ID and password? Almost as if there is no box there I can't click it at all.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
    05-23-08 08:17 AM
    Ok, I don't know why you are having that problem, but my guess would be that it is a website not formatted for mobile viewing and the Berry is getting "confused."

Aside from that, you should NEVER use Opera Mini to visit any sort of secure site. Opera Mini works through proxy servers like this:

You enter info > it goes to Opera's servers > the request goes to the website > the info goes back to Opera's servers where it is reformatted for your phone > then it comes back to the phone.

In other words, all your sensitive log in information and bank information is passing through a non-secure proxy server, and it could become compromised. I know you said you deleted Opera Mini, but if you ever use it again, you may want to keep that in mind.
    05-23-08 08:47 AM
    They probably do not have a mobile website for you to use. Something like what Bank of America has: https://www.bankofamerica.com/mobile/
    05-23-08 09:44 AM
    i have the same issue with citizens bank. i can get it on operamini but not bberry browser
    05-23-08 10:14 AM
    you should NEVER use Opera Mini to visit any sort of secure site. Opera Mini works through proxy servers like this:

You enter info > it goes to Opera's servers > the request goes to the website > the info goes back to Opera's servers where it is reformatted for your phone > then it comes back to the phone.

In other words, all your sensitive log in information and bank information is passing through a non-secure proxy server, and it could become compromised. I know you said you deleted Opera Mini, but if you ever use it again, you may want to keep that in mind.
    "Information sent between your handset and the Web site is encrypted in the advanced version of Opera Mini 3.0 and newer versions." (http://www.operamini.com/help/faq/#security)
    Last edited by baseballkyle; 05-23-08 at 11:33 AM.
    05-23-08 10:20 AM
    my girlfriend has a pearl and can't get on wells fargo but I have no problems getting on wachovia or wamu.
    05-23-08 10:55 AM
    So, please clarify for me then (sorry, I'm very new to this and not "electronically" savvy at all).......

Is it safer to actually use PayPal, your online banking, etc. from OperaMini then or from the server on your phone.

Thanks for any help!
    05-23-08 11:22 AM
    So, please clarify for me then (sorry, I'm very new to this and not "electronically" savvy at all).......

Is it safer to actually use PayPal, your online banking, etc. from OperaMini then or from the server on your phone.

Thanks for any help!
    use PayPal's mobile website from your BB browser. (https://mobile.paypal.com/)
    05-23-08 11:38 AM
    I have a Blackberry 8530 from Metro PCS and i cant access my Bank of America Account. I did it one time and that was it and dam! Im getting pissed. For 60 dollars a month i think i should be entitled to checking my bank account.
    09-04-10 09:02 PM
    I also use my bank account but I use it through my own banks mobile website,so for those of you worrying about the security,my suggestion is always log in through your banks mobiles website because they are encrypted for BB users and have all the security features,aside on that any one who is more concern about the security,should rather just go through their PC. Through mini oprah or any other browser it will never be as safe as encrypted mobile website.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 04:31 AM
    "Information sent between your handset and the Web site is encrypted in the advanced version of Opera Mini 3.0 and newer versions"
    Yes, that's true... but Opera is still acting as the "man in the middle", and is perfectly capable of monitoring everything that goes between you and your bank.

Normally, the connection works like this:

You -----SSL protected by shared key----->Bank

With Opera Mini, however, it works like this:

You -----SSL w/ key #1----->Opera----->SSL w/ key #2----->Bank

The data is still encrypted in transit, and is thus still safe from everyone... except Opera, who have access to the keys used for both segments of the connection.
    09-05-10 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD