Hi all,

I recently bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8320 from eBay. (I know, not the brightest idea, but the price was very enticing) So, I took the risk and bought one. I am experiencing some serious problems with it.

This morning, it arrived, and I opened the package, put my sim card into the phone, put in the battery, and started charging with the wall charger.

During this brief period of lets say 1 hour, the Blackberry seems fine. I am even sending some texts to a friend, and i am receiving them also. I also test out the Wi-fi. Send some more texts. After this 1 hour, suddenly, the signal is lost. I wait and walk around, walk outside. No signal.

The phone then shuts off automatically. A red LED at the top goes off. I try turning it on again, am greeted with a white screen with an hour glass, and then a red Vodafone screen, then it the main screen, where i see my carrier name and there is a couple bars of signal.

Shortly after this though, it will lose its signal, say "no service" and then promptly shut off, leaving only the red LED glowing.

When i try to turn it on again, the cycle happens again. (white hourglass screen, red vodafone screen, main screen, signal lost, device off, red LED.)

I would definitely return it, but the seller's rules are that I would need to pay for shipping it back, and the shipping rate at the post office is ridiculous (55 dollars just to ship it back)

I am at my wits end. Can any one help me with these problems? What should I do? Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.
    10-03-09 02:33 AM
    You can open a dispute through PayPal on the transaction.

You might want to try a few troubleshooting steps first though:

If you have a memory card in the BB, take it out. Does the rebooting/shut down problem go away? If it does, then you most likely have a corrupted file/filesystem on your memory card. Move your files off the card and reformat the card in the phone. Move your files back to your card.

Plug your BB into a charger and make some calls and send/receive some text messages. If the phone is stable while on the charger, then you might just need a new battery.

Find out what OS is loaded on the BB. Options, About, third line down. You might want to install a newer OS if your version is older. This will also rule out any software problems causing the rebooting problem.
    10-03-09 06:45 AM
    First of all I'd like to say thanks so much for trying to help me out.
    Pending a reply from the ebayer about the BB, will try see what happens before disputing.

One time when it was still on, I checked the OS version quickly before it shut off. I don't quite remember but i think it was 4.5.0.81

I have tried to follow the "How to reload the OS on your Nuked Blackberry guide" from this site, but when i get to the device application section,
    it says: "the Blackberry Desktop software does not have Blackberry device software for the device you have connected to the computer."

Even though I have installed the newest 4.5.0 device software onto my computer.

Is there another way I can update my blackberry?

(As I type, the blackberry has managed to get 2 bars of Rogers coverage, and is staying on...I don't know how long it is going to last but I want to fix it before it turns off again.)
    10-03-09 11:39 AM
    Hm.. could this be a battery problem? The cycling of screens and restarts continues, but the screen automatically dims itself now.

Strangely enough, I cannot always get it to charge, plugging it into the charger does not always make the plug icon show up. The status screen shows 100% battery.. but i'm not quite convinced..

The battery icon color is also yellow... should it be like this?
    10-03-09 12:31 PM
    Try another Sim card.
    10-03-09 12:32 PM
    I have been having this same problem, but it happens while I'm talking on the phone! so annoying. my BB is almost 2 years old. I haven't been having battery problems. I'll have to try that thing with my memory card. I hope its an easy fix, cause I sure can't afford a new phone right now.
    10-03-09 08:09 PM
    This exact same problem happened to my unlocked 8320 curve... I ended up figuring out that the battery was the issue... so I replaced it. That could also be your problem too!
    10-03-09 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD