Hey All,

I have just bought a blackberry 8900 which is unlocked, the question I have is that the provider I have my sim from is different from the service provider who the phone belongs to so I was thinking that on the blackberry website I can find the O/S update for both providers.

I was hoping if I download the O/S update for the provider my sim is from and install that update on my blackberry would it brick my blackberry.

Please provide your feedback

Thank you
    08-08-09 07:00 AM
    I'm new here, but from what I've been reading, you should be fine.

All you need to do is delete the vendor file or you won't be able to process the update.

Take this post with a grain of salt, wait for an actual expert.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 08:51 AM
    As long as you delete the Vendor.xml file prior to the install you can install ANY OS version that is built for your device... you can even download and install the latest Official OS in the one of the sticky threads on the 8900 forum... the OS you load does not have to be an OS from your provider, or the provider your BB was built for.
    08-08-09 09:04 AM
    As long as you delete the Vendor.xml file prior to the install you can install ANY OS version that is built for your device... you can even download and install the latest Official OS in the one of the sticky threads on the 8900 forum... the OS you load does not have to be an OS from your provider, or the provider your BB was built for.
    This man has spoken the truth.

So let it be said, so let it be done.
    08-08-09 09:14 AM
    And on the 9th day the lord created os 5.5 and he looked out beyond the heavens and saw that his work was good and chose to release it to his followers on June 15th 2011.

08-08-09 09:38 AM
    And on the 9th day the lord created os 5.5 and he looked out beyond the heavens and saw that his work was good and chose to release it to his followers on June 15th 2011.

ROFLMAO!
    Wait! 2011?! That's too long!!!
    08-08-09 10:00 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... Good one Laz!!!
    08-08-09 12:35 PM
    Thanks alot guys kinda new to this where do I delete the vendor.xml file
    08-09-09 03:04 PM
    Thanks alot guys kinda new to this where do I delete the vendor.xml file
    Try this from the top most sticky thread on Newest 8900 OS: v4.6.1.250 (Multilanguage):

1. Download desired OS to your PC
    2. Install/run OS to PC
    3. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
    4. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it.
    5. Do not unplug BB during the process. It may take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.
    Then you can also find more in upgrade/downgrade procedures link in my signature, as well as an instruction in the Blackberry 101 lessons... also available in a link in my signature below.
    08-09-09 03:11 PM
    Hey All,

I have just bought a blackberry 8900 which is unlocked, the question I have is that the provider I have my sim from is different from the service provider who the phone belongs to so I was thinking that on the blackberry website I can find the O/S update for both providers.

I was hoping if I download the O/S update for the provider my sim is from and install that update on my blackberry would it brick my blackberry.

Please provide your feedback

Thank you
    If you follow FatBoy's advice, you should be fine.

I use a BB 8900 from T-Mobile USA with the .250 OS from TIM Italy with no problems whatsoever.
    08-09-09 08:17 PM

LMAOOOOOO NICE ONE!!!!
    08-10-09 04:47 AM
    Hahahhaha funny enough I will also be following Fatboy's advice tomorrow because I didn't realize I was running .231 til just now when I decided to check! I swear I upgraded to .250! So is tmobile only supporting .231 right now?

08-10-09 05:01 AM
    Hahahhaha funny enough I will also be following Fatboy's advice tomorrow because I didn't realize I was running .231 til just now when I decided to check! I swear I upgraded to .250! So is tmobile only supporting .231 right now?

Yes, T-Mobile's Official OS for the 8900 is .231.... which to me was a surprise since I did not really think they would upgrade until sometime after OS 5.0 became a stable and official release... I think they were just tired of the grips about .114's poor battery life.

.250 is the official of for AT&T, Rogers and TIM Italy.
    08-10-09 06:11 AM
    I confirm that as long as you delete the Vendor.xml file you will have no trouble at all upgrading your BB.
    There is no way to brick a BB, so you shouldn't worry about this.
    08-10-09 06:42 AM
    I confirm that as long as you delete the Vendor.xml file you will have no trouble at all upgrading your BB.
    There is no way to brick a BB, so you shouldn't worry about this.
    Try to splice 4.6.1.250 with 5.0.0.130's Browser.... you'll nuke it in a hurry - ask me how i know.....
    08-10-09 08:04 AM
    So i've searched and I can't find it anywhere, what are the major differences between .231 and .250 if i just missed the thread if someone could link me there that would be great!
    08-10-09 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD