I am having an issue with my Curve. My phone sometimes just quits sounding. What I mean by that, you can have the sound set to loud, but it won't ring outloud. You can't hear anything. And when you try going to ringtones to listen, you can't hear anything. It only does this every week or so. All you have to do is pull the battery out and it starts working again. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    08-11-09 02:35 PM
    Would you know if there are any other open programs that interfere with the ability of the phone to ring?
    08-11-09 02:54 PM
    Hi,
    I'm a new BB user and have been tearing my hair out trying to get the sound to work on my phone (also a BB Curve 8330). It worked when I bought the phone but 2 days later, I have nothing! No ringtones, no alarms, absolutely nothing except the vibrate function to let me know there is a call.
    I just tried pulling the battery and it works!! Suddenly I have sound again. THANKS!!!
    I sure hope that this is a one time thing and not a flaw of the phones.
    08-31-09 10:13 PM
    What OS verion are you on? Options, About, third line down.

4.5.0.160 and 4.5.0.169 are known to have some problems with their sound profiles like you describe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 10:19 PM
    I'm curious b/c I have the exact same problem and I'm running V 4.5.0.160 on my curve, its brand new & the only way to get the sound back is to remove the battery however I've done this once a day for the short week I've owned it & I refuse to make this a daily ritual! My provider claims this "batch" of BB's has no problems Argh! anyone know if there's any updates/fixes for this, or will there be? What is everyone else doing with their soundless BB's???
    09-29-09 06:21 PM
    I had the same problem with my 8320

the only way to fix it was with a battery pull, make sure you os is up to date if it is call your carrier they should replace it, mine did
    09-29-09 09:01 PM
    I have the same problem. I've had my BB for 2 days and today the sound quit. I can't even play media files. I mean they won't even play. This is my second BB as the first one i had kept shutting down every 30 sec or so for no reason... guess i'll take it back and hopefully i'll be third time lucky...
    09-29-09 09:35 PM
    My OS is utd & the battery pull (as well as 'quick pull app') both work in restoring the sound however only temporarily, sometimes a few hours other times almost a full day or more, its almost ridiculous. I've checked & double checked that the profile settings are not changed, that the sound is not muted & that the DND is not on however my provider has informed me that if they do infact send it it & they cannot change/fix/find a problem then its up to me to pay for the inconvenience. Yeah...Okay... So I guess for now until there's an even bigger, badder more proveable issue I'll just stick with my semi soundless BB. Regardless I have to say I absolutely LOVE my BB Curve

ETA: Local Telus rep from a diff. store than I originally purchased the phone from claimed that the OS was known for the sound issue so its a SOFTWARE problem, not HARDWARE and to upgrade, perhaps I'll try that & if nothing changes I'll go from there... very frustrating nonetheless...
    Last edited by Babiberry; 10-02-09 at 01:44 PM.
    09-30-09 11:11 AM
    My wife and I both have 8330's and have the same problem. Mine thankfully has only happened one time, but it cost me a days work because the damn alarm wouldn't sound and I missed my bus (quick lesson learned, always have a backup!!).

My wife has had hers replaced once already and last night had the same thing happen again .. she pulled the battery and all was well when she went to bed, but it quit on her through the night and her alarm didn't sound causing her to sleep in and having to rush getting the kids out to school.

This is a total **** off I must say. So it would seem the only thing reasonable to do is return the phone again and if the 3rd one does the same then get it changed for another model on the lemon laws or something ??

I had a storm with no sound issues (lots of lock up and other frustrations) but it met an untimely end. I could have waited two weeks for the Tour, but needed a phone. Another lesson learned I guess.
    10-02-09 01:02 PM
    Have you downloaded anything recently to your memory cards? This same thing started happening to mine once I put a homemade ringtone on my memory card. I deleted the tone and did a battery pull. Seemed to fix it. I haven't had any sound problems since.

I also installed the QuickPull app, and have it set to run every night while I sleep. Just an extra precautionary measure.
    10-02-09 02:01 PM
    I just started running 5.0 and sometimes my text rings as the bicycle bell other times it sounds like a piano. I can't figure out a pattern but maybe it's just a bug. Never had a problem until now.
    10-02-09 02:28 PM
    I didn't read above but. I had it at .131. And updated to .169. Went away. I still choose to use vibration.

10-02-09 02:52 PM
    Wife was looking to download songs onto her card for the purposes of making ringtones out of it. I have songs, videos, pics, voice notes etc on mine. It's only happened to me once, hers has happened numerous times, but she hasn't yet downloaded anything other than weathereye and msn ... a puzzle to be sure. I've just recently updated to .169 and the phone seems to be running better, quicker etc. now. Hope I don't have this happen again.
    10-04-09 09:08 AM
    My sound problems are as follows:
    Periodically I have absolutely no sound when making or receiving a phone call (this includes both the other party not being able to hear each other).
    Sometimes when I try to play any type of sound file, it plays maybe the first second of the file and then the sounds goes away, but the file appears to still be playing. Sometimes I am able to play the soundfile by going into options (while the file is playing) and going to activate speakerphone. I have not found a solution to the sound problems during phone calls, however.

I used to be able to reset it with a battery pull and it would clear it up. It has gotten progressively worse over the past week to the point that now even a battery pull does not fix the problem and I'm stuck with a smartphone where I am not able to use the phone - rather ironic if you ask me
    I am using OS version 4.5.0.169 and I do have a few apps installed, but these problems seems to have just appeared and gotten worse over time. I can't seem to trace it back to an "aha - THAT'S what caused it".

Anyway, I have had the phone for just over a month, so I contacted Alltel/Verizon and they are sending me a new phone so hopefully this is not an issue after that, but I thought I'd post this in case someone else had the same problem and could give some pointers that might have caused it to begin with. That's assuming that it's not a hardware problem in the phone itself.

FWIW, I did do a search on here and didn't see anything that specifically addressed my particular problem, hence my post.
    10-12-09 04:38 PM
    What OS verion are you on? Options, About, third line down.

4.5.0.160 and 4.5.0.169 are known to have some problems with their sound profiles like you describe.

For all of you on the above OS versions experiencing the disappearing ringtones or losing your custom profile settings, which only a battery pull reset will restore. The only permanent fix is to do the following:

Download the profile.cod files in the following link and extract the files in the .zip file.

4.5.0.131 profile.cod files

Then open a file explorer window on your computer and navigate to the following folder: C:\Programs\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\Your OS folder\Java. Copy the .cod files in the downloaded folder into your Java folder.

Then connect your BB to your USB port, and go to C:\Programs\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and double-click on the loader.exe file to load the changed OS on your BB.

This will permanently fix the problems you are having with lost ringtones and custom profile settings while using OS .160 and .169

FYI, there have been no reports of lost ringtones or profile settings on 4.5.0.170, so you can upgrade to .170 instead.
    10-12-09 05:00 PM
    My sound problems are as follows:
    Periodically I have absolutely no sound when making or receiving a phone call (this includes both the other party not being able to hear each other).
    Sometimes when I try to play any type of sound file, it plays maybe the first second of the file and then the sounds goes away, but the file appears to still be playing. Sometimes I am able to play the soundfile by going into options (while the file is playing) and going to activate speakerphone. I have not found a solution to the sound problems during phone calls, however.

I used to be able to reset it with a battery pull and it would clear it up. It has gotten progressively worse over the past week to the point that now even a battery pull does not fix the problem and I'm stuck with a smartphone where I am not able to use the phone - rather ironic if you ask me
    I am using OS version 4.5.0.169 and I do have a few apps installed, but these problems seems to have just appeared and gotten worse over time. I can't seem to trace it back to an "aha - THAT'S what caused it".

Anyway, I have had the phone for just over a month, so I contacted Alltel/Verizon and they are sending me a new phone so hopefully this is not an issue after that, but I thought I'd post this in case someone else had the same problem and could give some pointers that might have caused it to begin with. That's assuming that it's not a hardware problem in the phone itself.

FWIW, I did do a search on here and didn't see anything that specifically addressed my particular problem, hence my post.
    I have the same thing happening to me except the Voice Dialing Application keeps popping up on its own whether I'm creating an sms mms browsing making a call or if the phone is just sitting on the counter...I tried removing the VDA with the latest CrackMem but CrackMem wouldn't uninstall it for some reason any other ideas as to removing this program from my phone? I've got a Verizon 8330 w/ 5.0 beta OS
    10-12-09 05:37 PM
    I have the same thing happening to me except the Voice Dialing Application keeps popping up on its own whether I'm creating an sms mms browsing making a call or if the phone is just sitting on the counter...I tried removing the VDA with the latest CrackMem but CrackMem wouldn't uninstall it for some reason any other ideas as to removing this program from my phone? I've got a Verizon 8330 w/ 5.0 beta OS
    Go to your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\Your OS Folder\Java folder and remove all the .cod files with vad in them.

They look like this:

net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource_en.cod

If you have a bunch of other vad files like

net_rim_vad_resource_es.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource_ko.cod

etc. remove those as well because those are foreign language support files for vad as well.

After you have deleted all the vad files, connect your BB to the usb port then go to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader folder and double-click on the loader.exe file to remove the vad files from your BB.
    10-12-09 05:45 PM
    FYI, there have been no reports of lost ringtones or profile settings on 4.5.0.170, so you can upgrade to .170 instead.
    Chalk up one for it starting to happen on 4.5.0.175(295) then.. Oddly, it's so far JUST the built-in ones (which all fail silently) and my MP3 ones (which fail "Media processor is busy" in the media player), but my MIDI ones work fine.
    06-09-10 10:38 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/fix...-169-a-380296/

That's my thread on how to fix this issue.
    06-09-10 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD