I have a Curve 8530 on VM USA and am having some problems with BIS email sync.

Email-1: "Outlook [email protected]" Exchange account through Microsoft. They do not support BES on their system, so I have to use OWA and BIS. The problem I am having is with deleted items syncing. I have the deleted items sync checked in my email settings, and I have wireless reconcile on. However, whenever I delete an email in Outlook or OWA, it does not delete on my BB - I've waited upwards of 30-35 minutes and have tried "reconcile now" to no avail. Similarly, whenever I delete an email on my BB, it does not delete in OWA or Outlook, and again, I've waited quite a while and have tried "reconcile now."

Email-2: MSN/Windows Live hotmail. Deleting of emails works fine from BB to Outlook/Hotmail. However, when I move an email to the trash in Outlook/Hotmail.com, it does not get deleted from my BB. The other problem I have is that my sent items on my BB do not sync with Hotmail or Outlook (via Outlook Hotmail Connector). I am guessing that BIS is using POP, but there is also an option in the BB email settings for some Microsoft Protocol, which I have tried but whenever I do it just says it cannot connect to the application. I have waited 30+ minutes for my BB sent mail to show up on Hotmail.com and have tried "reconcile now" but it never shows.

I have already tried re-loading service books.
    05-26-10 06:15 PM
    Welcome to the Blackberry world. It is not the best "syncing" service out there.

The BB BIS service only pushes emails to your device. It does not sync with your inboxes. So if you delete a message on outlook, you must also manually delete it on your BB. Same goes for other email accounts like Hotmail and Comcast.

It should however delete messages on Outlook if you delete them on your BB and you have the setting checked that allows that to happen. It works for me. I delete an outlook message on my BB and it immediately deletes it on my Outlook server.

Regarding syincing sent and saved messages. Forget it. Inbox only.
    05-27-10 09:55 AM
    Thanks for filling me in.

I guess I'll keep on trying with the OWA sync. Deleting from my BB works immediately with Hotmail. Just doesn't do anything with OWA.
    05-27-10 10:32 AM
    Please take a look at my thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/impo...y-sync-475277/

Yahoo mail is the answer (I know, I know not great but it will hold you over till the next BIS update comes out from RIM).

I hate the word "Yahoo" but luckily you can have different email domains such as rocketmail.com or ymail.com.
    05-27-10 11:47 AM
    I ran a test today, using this as a guide. I was able to fix/resolve some of the problems I detailed above, but not all. Here is what I came up with:

Can anyone confirm this? My main problem is the one I have in bold, although I have not given it the "full six hours" yet.

OWA:

Deleting SENT item on BB, sync to mailbox - DOES NOT WORK (N/A?)
    Deleting INBOX item on BB, sync to mailbox - WORKS
    Moving SENT item to trash on mailbox, sync to BB - N/A, mailbox sent items do not sync to BB
    Moving INBOX item to trash on mailbox, sync to BB - DOES NOT WORK

Marking INBOX item as READ on mailbox, sync to BB (already pushed item) - DOES NOT WORK (N/A?)
    Marking INBOX item as READ on BB, sync to mailbox - WORKS

Hotmail (POP3?):

Deleting SENT item on BB, sync to mailbox - N/A, BB sent items do not sync to mailbox
    Deleting INBOX item on BB, sync to mailbox - WORKS
    Moving SENT item to trash on mailbox, sync to BB - N/A, mailbox sent items do not sync to BB
    Moving INBOX item to trash on mailbox, sync to BB - WORKS

Marking INBOX item as READ on mailbox, sync to BB (already pushed item) - DOES NOT WORK (N/A?)
    Marking INBOX item as READ on BB, sync to mailbox - DOES NOT WORK (N/A if POP3?)
    05-27-10 03:17 PM
    The item you have bolded will never work. BB does not sync, it pushes as I said earlier. BB only pushes new mail items from the server to the device and pushes deleted items from the device back to the server. That's it. Moving an item in you Outlook to trash will not delete it on your BB. BB only pushes "new" messages to your device it can not sync the inbox.

If you want to fully sync your inbox, you need to buy additional BB software. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Hopefully in the future they do add full sync of inbox.
    05-28-10 01:50 PM
    If you use Yahoo mail everything syncs other than mail already on the web and sent emails (Which the BB does anyway).
    05-28-10 02:40 PM
    The item you have bolded will never work. BB does not sync, it pushes as I said earlier. BB only pushes new mail items from the server to the device and pushes deleted items from the device back to the server. That's it. Moving an item in you Outlook to trash will not delete it on your BB. BB only pushes "new" messages to your device it can not sync the inbox.

If you want to fully sync your inbox, you need to buy additional BB software. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Hopefully in the future they do add full sync of inbox.
    But Hotmail does work that way. Strange that OWA doesn't.
    05-28-10 04:13 PM
    Laurence - I would switch/forward to Gmail or Yahoo, but I currently use Hotmail Connector for Outlook, which gives me Exchange-like full two-way sync (DeltaSync) for Hotmail in Outlook. If I switched I would have to use POP (Yahoo) or IMAP (Gmail), which don't sync very well w/ Outlook.

EDIT: I didn't know that Gmail got Exchange ActiveSync support last September. I'll have to look into this for Outlook, although I'm not sure how much better it'll work on BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ekem015; 05-28-10 at 07:00 PM.
    05-28-10 05:57 PM
    Turns out Microsoft is releasing a new version of Hotmail next month, which will include support for Exchange ActiveSync: The Windows Blog

That's a good thing for my Outlook 2007, since that means I will probably be able to dump Hotmail Connector and just use Hotmail w/ Exchange (although I might have to create a separate profile, since I am already running Exchange for my [email protected] mailbox...let's see - Outlook 2010 has support for three).

That could also mean that using Hotmail with BIS would mean using OWA instead of POP, which is actually somewhat of a bad thing. Right now, POP is letting me drag to trash to delete on my BB, while OWA is not. At the same time, OWA is allowing for read/unread sync and sent items sync, while POP/Hotmail is not.

But hopefully RIM will make corresponding updates to BIS that will allow Hotmail to sync more properly with BB now that it's going to be Exchange.
    Last edited by ekem015; 05-28-10 at 07:14 PM.
    05-28-10 06:54 PM
    Considering all the headache Hotmail has given me over the years, I would always suggest the real solution is to just use something else...

Problem is their idiotic system lets someone take over your hotmail account and intercept all your emails to that address...
    05-28-10 07:00 PM
    I read that a BIS update is coming soon which will allow hotmail to work better.

I agree about using online services instead of desktop clients (No POP with Yahoo as such) but the tradeoff of perfect services was more to me.
    05-28-10 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD