I went to the beach and got sand all in my blackberry. It was stuffed in the charging and earpiece ports. It also messed my track ball. No more alcohol and beaches for me. I know I can remove my trackball and clean in there but should I be worried about corrosion in the near future? I can still get it to charge as of now. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 03:39 PM
    personally i would take the whole thing apart and give that thing a good blowing out...but that is just me.
    08-10-09 03:44 PM
    In the future put phone in ziplock baggie. Problem avoided.
    08-10-09 04:47 PM
    In the future put phone in ziplock baggie. Problem avoided.
    I always do that...
    08-10-09 05:02 PM
    Yeah. Noted. I just happened to get a little too much to drink in me and my phone anal-ness went away. I got sand in it and scratches. I also got my brand new car all sandy. That's gonna take a few washes to clean out. Stupid me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 05:44 PM
    get an air duster. i cant post a link because of post count. you can buy them at bestbuy and computer stores. its a little can of compressed air.
    08-10-09 10:21 PM
    Its is not sand you need to worry about. Its the SALT.

If the phone is not under warranty any longer and you dont have insurance (fun fact: if your phone is under insurance and you lose it, they give you a replacement free!) Then:

1) I would take it apart down to its pieces. Make sure to remove the LCD.

2) for all parts BUT the LCD, I would clean them off (every inch) with rubbing alcohol and a QTip. Do this a couple times. A little salt is going to corrode the circuit connectors. Once connector corroded, throw the entire thing away.

3) While you are in there, get the sand out. The actual sand particles are not going to corrode anything, they are too big, but if they scratch through a connector, you can throw the entire thing away.

4) for REALLY bad issues, I have actually used a sonic jewelry cleaner and distlled water/rubbing alcohol and submerged the pieces (I do not recommend this unless there is massive corrosion).

Good luck.
    08-10-09 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD